Stihl 3/8 pico vs pico mini chain for an MS170 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to try and adapt some brand x bars to fit my pole saw to experiment on the same saw but settled for just cutting in the same piece of cedar fence post. In the picture I matched the bar height so the difference in profile it two. 61pmm3, H35 (in loop husqvarna perhaps in bulk is longer cutter), 63pm3. That thin chain on the pole saw does seem to produce the smoothest result.

Results of comparison of cutting speed, .043 vs. .050 chain on MS170.

I finally had time to get this done.

There are a lot of views here about whether the .043 picco micro chain is as good for cutting as the .050 pico chain. Theoretically, one might think that the .043 would be faster, because it cuts a narrower kerf (less wood cut). Others like the .050 for its strength.

Someone suggested that I buy new Stihl chains for this test. I did better than that. I sharpened two chains that were almost new to the best I could do. While new Stihl might have some special sharpening, I'm interested in what will happen with chains I've sharpened. The sharpener I used is a clamp on the bar one from Craftsman, similar in design to the one shown on the Stihl sharpening manual cover. I also bought a Stihl gage to file the depth gages correctly.

I did the test on a 4 inch diameter white oak tree that was felled about 14 months ago, so it was nice and dry. I tried the .043 picco micro first, and it cut okay until it got about 1 and 1/2 inches deep, and then it struggled to cut. I had to roll the saw around the tree continuously to get it to cut all the way through. The .050 inch picco chain cut evenly and right through the tree.

Here is the link to the video.

The .043 cut much slower and struggled more than the .050. The .043 took much longer than twice as long as the .050 to cut this log.

I've also had much more bad experience with the chain getting derailed with the .043 than the .050.

All and all, I don't think it is even close. The .050 picco is more durable, and cuts much faster than the .043 picco micro, on an MS170 saw as shown in the video. I got the same results on an 009 where I also tried the comparison.

Terry

I finally had time to get this done.

There are a lot of views here about whether the .043 picco micro chain is as good for cutting as the .050 pico chain. Theoretically, one might think that the .043 would be faster, because it cuts a narrower kerf (less wood cut). Others like the .050 for its strength.

Someone suggested that I buy new Stihl chains for this test. I did better than that. I sharpened two chains that were almost new to the best I could do. While new Stihl might have some special sharpening, I'm interested in what will happen with chains I've sharpened. The sharpener I used is a clamp on the bar one from Craftsman, similar in design to the one shown on the Stihl sharpening manual cover. I also bought a Stihl gage to file the depth gages correctly.

I did the test on a 4 inch diameter white oak tree that was felled about 14 months ago, so it was nice and dry. I tried the .043 picco micro first, and it cut okay until it got about 1 and 1/2 inches deep, and then it struggled to cut. I had to roll the saw around the tree continuously to get it to cut all the way through. The .050 inch picco chain cut evenly and right through the tree.

Here is the link to the video.

The .043 cut much slower and struggled more than the .050. The .043 took much longer than twice as long as the .050 to cut this log.

I've also had much more bad experience with the chain getting derailed with the .043 than the .050.

All and all, I don't think it is even close. The .050 picco is more durable, and cuts much faster than the .043 picco micro, on an MS170 saw as shown in the video. I got the same results on an 009 where I also tried the comparison.

Terry

Something wrong with the link to the video above. This may work now:

Stihl Saw Chain Comparison short - YouTube

Nice work, but I disagree. You'd better get out your stop watch for this one...

[video=youtube_share;g2c2eht3UoU]http://youtu.be/g2c2eht3UoU[/video]

There is no way that .043 chain was sharp. Here is a freshly sharpened MS180 running the old school .043" picco mini safety chain (bent over rakers) in 14" of birch. It's not really fast, but it really didn't slow down either.

MS 180 - YouTube

I can't embed with the current hacking situation.

I found that the 3/8 .043 cut a lot quicker than .050 in Aussie wood on an ms170, both 12" Stihl b/c. It seemed underpowered in hardwood with .050.
After fitting the 215 adj carb and opening muffler it moved onto the .050 12" fulltime, it cuts as fast and stays sharp longer, the .043 is just too lightweight for anything serious but does cut fast in clean wood. I was under the impression that 0.45mm was the .043 depth gauge and 0.65mm/25thou" for the bigger chains

Latest posts

Back