Stihl 361 Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What/where is it about/in this thread I'm supposed to be complaining?

Don't try and scape goat this thread. Look in the New software thread......it reads like the back of a restaurant menu.......lots of w(h)ine!:)

No whine there at all.

Merely attempting to help the so-called admin fine-tune the engine to get the most power and best fuel economy, all the while staying within the guidelines of the EPA.

glens said:
I've re-read the thread and a couple of things come readily to mind.  First, Noah got a fair amount of use out of a saw and then got all his money back.  There should be nothing but praise for Stihl on that.  It by far beats the "crown commitment".  Granted, there were some difficulties and aggravation along the way, but looking at the big picture I'd have to say Noah got treated really well.  In fact, it almost sounds as if he got all his firewood put up and now won't need a saw until later...

Glens,

I respect your observations and your comments. Althesame, I did not give all of the details and issues that I did not think very important to those here. First of all, I purchased a saw that was having problems right out of the box. I told them that I did not have time for problems out in the field, so please make all necessary adjustments before it goes out the door. The shop owner spent a long time trying to start it himself in the back. In 20/20 hindsight I don't think he should have let it go out the door in the first place. It was HIS fault, and that of Stihls for quality control issues for letting a customer end up w/such problems. Granted, I admit mine is probably/hopefully an exception rather than the norm.

Second, I was hoping to get a LOT more wood and make a few $ which is one reason why I went w/a "reliable" new saw instead of one of questionable quality for less than half the price, etc. Who could predict this? God only knows. Regardless, this particular saw was far more of a problem than what it was worth finacially or time and effort wise. I lost jobs over it, far more than what it was worth. That said, Glens, yes it could have been any saw of any make that gave me these problems, but it happened to be a Stihl. I appreciate your possitive attitude toward the situation, but it was not a possitive experience for me. However, they finally did the right thing and gave me a refund.

Frank

pbtree said:
Now that it is all over, perhaps it is time to try a Husky? :)

I had a big shipment droped off at Lowe's Home Improvement. They sell Husky's. While I was back near the loading dock there were probably 2 dozen Husky chainsaws that were being sent out for service. The guys back there didn't know what was wrong w/them. Most of them looked new or nearly so. I don't know what the problems were, but I'm wondering if Husky might be experiencing some quality control problems too, judging from the 2 models that made up the bulk of them? You might be right about a Husky, but I'm shying away until I can find out why so many problem saws.

I'd think that going w/a dedicated dealer like the one I got the Stihl from would have the warantee advantage, and service advantage, but I was wrong. A place like Lowes doesn't have any worse warantee, but I can't honestly say that their service is better or worse either than the other dealer. What it really comes down to is product quality and consistant reliability, AND integrety of the dealer, as well as the distributor/corporation. These places and products are going to have to EARN my respect and trust. So far they've failed, but I'm still going to try again.

Best regards

Noah, A couple things happen with Lowes and Home Depot saw sales. 1. They sell most of them to homeowners that don't know diddly about chainsaws. (And if they have a problem noone at the big box can help-just send it back) 2. There are a disturbing number of scumbags in the world who will buy a product such as a chainsaw to use one weekend then return it for a full refund! :angry: They think it is "cool" that they put one over on the store and saved a rental fee or the cost of hireing a pro. :angry: Some people's children.

Stumper nailed this one. Talk to who ever services the saws. Not the owner or one of the salesmen but one of the mechanics. For some reason the advice of pros who use these saws everyday for years on end isn't good enough for you. If your looking for a perfect product your going to be disappointed. If you want cheap shop price, if you want good service talk to tree guys in your area, if you want a reliable saw buy a Shindawa, a Stihl, a husqvarna, a Redmax, Echo, etc. All of the major manufacturers make quality saws provided you buy a pro model. There is all the professional advice anyone would need on this site, all one has to do is write the question (read and you may find the answer already exist). If you don't have the money start a budget. Don't let your isolated experience develop your entire opinion of saws or saw brands.

Stumper, excellent post...

And Xander9727 hit it too - the big box stores rarely sell the pro models of saws - more often they are the ones directed to the homeowner market...

On top of that, each manufacturer, like all products, has the good, the bad, and the ugly with models.

The folks on here can help you discern which is which - there is a lot of good reading material on this site.

The main thing here is that each manufacturer has some really great saw models, and for the money, you are better off going with a pro saw than a homeowner model...

Just my .02... :)

xander9727 said:
Stumper nailed this one. Talk to who ever services the saws. Not the owner or one of the salesmen but one of the mechanics. For some reason the advice of pros who use these saws everyday for years on end isn't good enough for you. If your looking for a perfect product your going to be disappointed. If you want cheap shop price, if you want good service talk to tree guys in your area, if you want a reliable saw buy a Shindawa, a Stihl, a husqvarna, a Redmax, Echo, etc. All of the major manufacturers make quality saws provided you buy a pro model. There is all the professional advice anyone would need on this site, all one has to do is write the question (read and you may find the answer already exist). If you don't have the money start a budget. Don't let your isolated experience develop your entire opinion of saws or saw brands.

That's why I posted here, Xander, and have been doing the research. I'm not slamming the whole industry. I think I once said that mine is probably the exception rather than the norm. But my point remains; the dealers, company, product, etc. better earn my business. They do this by selling me a saw that works right. I did the homework, it just didn't pan out on this purchase the way I expected. I've been more than patient w/these jokers at the dealership, and if I'd do business like that, I wouldn't blame others to look elsewhere. They are nice people, but I think I've had a legitamate gripe even if it rips on a particular product sold by someones favorite company. Maybe I'm reading an attitude into your post that isn't there but from what you said, "If your looking for a perfect product your going to be disappointed. If you want cheap shop price, if you want good service talk to tree guys in your area, if you want a reliable saw buy a Shindawa, a Stihl, a husqvarna, a Redmax, Echo, etc", sounds to me like you think I'm the one at fault and not the product. "Perfect product"? Is it too much to ask a brand new overpriced machine to start when its supposed too??? Don't get me wrong. I like you and appreciate your opinions. However, if my expectations are too high, then correct me if I'm wrong. That particular saw IMHO was the thing that was wrong and it was like pulling teeth to get the dealer to treat me like I'd treat someone else in the same circumstances.
You said, "Talk to who ever services the saws. Not the owner or one of the salesmen but one of the mechanics." Maybe I didn't make it clear earlier in this thread, but I DID talk to as many mechanics/techs as I could find. I talked to three of them at Stihl USA, those at the distributor, and to the mechanic at the dealership. He was honest, he told me that they didn't school him on this new model, and he was stumped. I think that the best advice came from those pros in this thread.

Xander, what did you mean by, "For some reason the advice of pros who use these saws everyday for years on end isn't good enough for you." ?:confused:
I "might" end up getting another 361 IF it doesn't have the problem I've already stated, but sure as dirt it better start right if its brand new. I thought I HAVE been taking the advice of those pro here. What gives you the idea that I haven't, Xander? In fact, on the first page you said,
You shouldn't have to chase problems with a new saw. Get another 361 and happy cutting."

Maybe I wasn't very clear in my response to your first post in that I just quoted above, but I attempted to do just that, ASAP.

Stumper,
Maybe you're right. Maybe a bunch of scumbags were ripping off the store w/free use of saws that worked fine. I just need to find out for sure what the problem is before investing that kind of money again. I talked to their service guy once, who didn't seem to think there were any major problems with their line. The only other Husky dealerin my area is Sears, which only sells a few smaller home owner models. I'm familiar with Stihl and Husky's good reputations, but I want to be sure that there has been some defect, or quality problems with a couple of new models that I'm considering, before buying.

Last edited:
I encountered similar problems with my maglev bar/chain system, as the
saw became superconductive, and it would store electricity in the chain
loop.
To protect the user, we came up with a Mobil synthetic rabbit's foot,
which also cures gout.
Also we use 219 octane fuel, because the saw would ping badly otherwise

Just felt homesick for the old days, decided to search out my old "Maglev"
"Fisherized Eager Beaver" threads.

A lot of fun posts back then, in the brewer's fog of long ago..............

Sniffffff..................

It floods too easily
At first I chocked it up to user error ( you were right)

Another problem is the lack of bar oil (turn the oiler up and clean your bar out..most people hardly ever do this(if ever), you should do this before EVERY use, bar and chain off, full cleaning, oil cant pump through holes that are packed with saw dust, i say dust because id assume on top of everything else, your chain is dull..)

I can recommend it IF you can find one that starts right out of the box and keeps on going. (they usually dont start themselves.. the user has to do that, your dealership failed at tuning it)

At this point I might just keep it IF they can fix it so that it will start easily all the time w/a warm engine. What do you think? (sounds like it needs to be tuned)

Hope this was a help to anyone considering the 361 (no, it wasnt at all.. thanks for the effort though).
:chainsawguy:

Just felt homesick for the old days, decided to search out my old "Maglev"
"Fisherized Eager Beaver" threads.

A lot of fun posts back then, in the brewer's fog of long ago..............

Sniffffff..................

thanks for bumpin a 5 year old thread.. now im the jerk i guess lol

FISH I MISS YOU!!!!

:notrolls2:

:sucks:

Life was easier when I was a :newbie: and didn't know ****......

Now I know **** and all he does is drink my alcohol....

Latest posts

Back