Stihl 361 VS. 036/360!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Lets try this comparison!!!

I was never a big fan of the 036. In stock form is was just a lackluster saw. Since coming here I have ran one that I muffler modded for a friend and the saw was better.

The 361 comes out and it does everything the 036 didn't............namely pulling an 18-20" bar with 3/8's chain with authority. Add to that the better AV that the 361 has.

The 361 gets my vote!!!

No doubt in my mind, but I got the idea from Russ and Glens and You, as I remember it - with some support from DLG, KWF etc - never had an 036/360, but briefly used one, some years ago, and wanted one, but then the 361 appeared.......:popcorn: :givebeer:

Last edited:
Authority is right...

I have my 036 that is set up with .325, with a 16" primarily but the occasional 20" use as well, but I keep it with the .325... I tried the 18" 3/8 set up, and the saw was not doing great in Oak. Now it does fine though, but I did get to run my friends 361 in the woods the other day.
Great saw, cut through Hickory like butter, and the AV was great, but I haven't really noticed bad AV from my 036. Maybe the AV is so bad that I don't feel my hands and therefore I don't know it's bad. Actually, I have thought that the 036 with a sharp chain, and a little finesse cuts just fine, but I have to agree, the 361 is nice...

Jason

Last edited:
No doubt in my mind, but I got the idea from Russ and Glens and You, as I remember it - with some support from DLG, KWF etc - never had an 036/360, but breiefly used one, some years ago.......:popcorn: :givebeer:

Who are DLG, KWF ???

Anyways..............Troll ol' boy I won't comment on a saw that I haven't ran.

I did own several 036's back in the mid '90's!!!

Some of the comparison may not be fair........5 to15 year old saw to maybe
a new or 1 or 2 year old saw.

Lets try this comparison!!!

I was never a big fan of the 036. In stock form is was just a lackluster saw. Since coming here I have ran one that I muffler modded for a friend and the saw was better.

The 361 comes out and it does everything the 036 didn't............namely pulling an 18-20" bar with 3/8's chain with authority. Add to that the better AV that the 361 has.

The 361 gets my vote!!!

Lackluster saw? unable to pull a 20 inch bar with authority?I disagree! You can saw the 361 is a better saw but don't get carried away.

I believe that the comparisons we all make from older saws to newer saws are healthy for the most part. I believe that we see every form of opinion from "this is what what we grew up with" to quoting specs, to brand loyalty, etc. This is what we gearhead...um, chainsaw people do. What is life without a good variety of opinion? This site Kicks A--!!!

I really like the 036, particularly the later versions - the 036-pro and MS360...

The 361 can do a little more than the 360, but not that much more....

Back