Stihl 361 VS. 036/360!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is this muffler mod that everybody is talking about? Can you please advise as to what it is and how it is done?

The simple version is making the original hole bigger or adding a hole to let the exhaust gas out quicker, You then have to adjust the carb a bit richer.
Yes it will make it a little louder but it should run cooler as it can get rid of the heat better.
But the real gain is more power many think a 25% increase in cutting speed
is fairly normal
Use the search function and read for hours maybe days on muffler mods!

Can you please explain what synthetic oil you are referring to? I never heard of a synthetic for 2-stroke machines.

There are a few synthetic oils on the go but Stihl Ultra seems to be the favorite around here, The techie people will tell you the insides of the machines are much cleaner using synthetic and it is less likely to degrade over time when mixed.

You got that all wrong - .325 works great on many 50cc+ saws, at least in hardwood (provided it is the right kind and right gearing), and .325NK often is a better option than 3/8" lo-pro on the reasonably good 35-45cc saws......

+1 my 025 cuts like a demon with .325 Stihl RMC

+1 my 025 cuts like a demon with .325 Stihl RMC

I am sure it would cut better with 95VP, but that is not an option any more on the small Stihls, unless you find a discontinued Oregon bar........:censored:

Stihl never offered .325NK set-ups, so it never got popular - and that is a big mistake.

.... and the similar sized Husky/Jreds cuts better anyway.....sorry....:)

Last edited:
I have a idea: Why not sit 2 361s on each side of Mr. Drippy and see if he heals. That 361 cures cancer..........

Welp I could do that but unless curing cancer involves a drill press I don't think it will work, LOL

I am sure it would cut better with 95VP, but that is not an option any more on the small Stihls, unless you find a discontinued Oregon bar........:censored:

Stihl never offered .325NK set-ups, so it never got popular - and that is a big mistake.

.... and the similar sized Husky/Jreds cuts better anyway.....sorry....:)

No need to be sorry that little Stihl cuts great and can be one handed easy SHHH lol
And was very cheap I get chains for it delivered for only! £10 each!
Clip a stone, Cut through a nail and it just keeps going the Oregon chain wont do that!
Yes a 260, 346xp or a 5100 would be nice but it just runs to good to replace!

However Consumer Digest says the Stihl is the better saw and I agree 100%,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep, but the one I saw did admit that it cut slower than the 345/2145........:cheers: :cheers:

Actually, I couldn't care less, regarding that type of test.......:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks. I talked to the dealer about the size of the wood - 16-24" diameter and he suggested getting the saw with two bars - a 16" for smaller items and get the 20" for the larger diameters.

Couple other things - what size chain do I use? I see some discussion on a .325 and a 3/8. Can you please help me here? I was thinking of getting a STIHL 33rm chain - the dealer recommended it as it has an anti-kickback feature built-in.

33RSC if wood is clean, othervice 33RMC (provided the bar is .050).

I like your dealers suggestion, regarding the bars. :clap: :clap:

Latest posts

Back