Stihl 361 VS. 036/360!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your 036 won't pull a 20 in bar your chain is dull.

Some guys just have lower standards than others do. My 066 pulls a 24" with authority in oak, and the 372 did a nice job on the hedge last weekend with a 20" in 12-16" cuts...with authority, and I don't have it tuned right yet.

That's my version of "will pull", it may be a bit steeper than someone elses. Softwood guys are excused from this exercise.

Mark

WOW - people still run the 036, I thought I was the only one. :clap:

I posted a note about the bar getting warm/hot a couple weeks back, but I was cutting dead hickory,ash, & cherry - I tore it up quick.

Bone stock, was a Stihl 33RM60 chain (I think), on a 16" bar.

I run a 20" with 3/8 RSC on my 360Pro and it pulls it really good, but of course it is modded but just by me, so who knows what that compares to. It is my go to saw, even over my DN372 that is a screamer, the weight is the big thing. Once I even used a 28" bar with full comp chisel to cut a huge dead Oak trunk, it did well but the oiler had a time with it, LOL! I still want to run a 361, but have no plans of ditching my old girl.

I know Im an underclassmen yappin at the big dogs heels in this thread, but my 034 is a sweet old girl, and I will keep it running as long as I do.

The price is sort of steep on the 361. For $ 50.00 more the 372 is probably the best deal around for the money , 15cc bigger. Even die hard stihl fans have given in & picked one up because someday they will be going away.:popcorn:

The price is sort of steep on the 361. For $ 50.00 more the 372 is probably the best deal around for the money , 15cc bigger. Even die hard stihl fans have given in & picked one up because someday they will be going away.:popcorn:

LOL - that depends on what you need - bigger isn't allways better, and there is a huge differense in the nimbleness of those saws....

To put it into perspective, a 346xp is close to 500$ more than a 361 here, when not on "campaign" - then it is about 150$ more....

Last edited:
I'm still in the dark as to what exactly a 361 does that an 036 doesn't? The 036 is gruntier and lighter is it not? 361 has a better AV? For the life of me I can't figure what AV stands for. :confused: 361's just a later copy of an 036, 60cc stihl, apart from the AV? what's different?

AV = Antivibe, very important to us Husky user and not so much for Stihl users ;)

My hands get numb 7 hours on chainsaws, AV is No1 for me, if the 361 truly is smoother it'd be enough, but the 036 is smooth for sure, hold it lightly when cutting, the other guys' 70cc huskys aren't a lot smoother, but I'm testing a 2165, just to see

I'm still in the dark as to what exactly a 361 does that an 036 doesn't? The 036 is gruntier and lighter is it not? 361 has a better AV? For the life of me I can't figure what AV stands for. :confused: 361's just a later copy of an 036, 60cc stihl, apart from the AV? what's different?

The 361 is a totally new design - it replaced the 360, but has virtually nothing else in common with it.

The most important differense is the engine; It is a 4-channel (like the Husky xps and better Dolmars) design on the 361 vs 2-channel of the traditional Stihls, and has much better accelleration/response, as well as a wider useful powerband - probably both on the high and the low end.
I believe better ingition etc also play a part here, but not sure on that one....

The anti-vibe is based on springs, and more efficient on the 361 - some people care, others don't.

The 361 is actually a tad lighter than the 360, but you will hardky notice the difference.

ST, I hear what what you're sayin, but I can't imagine a drilled muffler 036 accelerating any faster, it's like, half a second from idle to full noise already! The 361, horsepower of an 036 and torque of an 044? With 2 cc less? Maybe a better carb than the 036 too. Ying and yang, what are the disadvantages of 4 channels when stacked against 2?

so what is the powerband of these saws like compared to each other. Which one seems more torquey?

I would prefer actual hands on experience over paper stats.

My 036 pro runs a 20" 3/8 es bar and will cut burried in hardwood, but it doesn't pull it with authority.

Time to open it up and tear into it.

Latest posts

Back