Stihl 361 VS. 036/360!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a muffler mod on boths saws, my 361 is equal to the 036 at the low end, and a heck of a lot better high up. I sold my 036 shortly after the 361 came along...

I guess we'll have to see about the 036 with a mild woods port.

Is the oiling any better on the 361, or is it barely getting by also? Will any other models interchange with the 036? I thought I read that the 044 will work on the 361

Not the 044 -the 046..

I published a set of number recently on the 361, 046 and 460M WRAP oil pumps. These all interchange and are infact are in fact the same pump with three different pistons/control screws.

361 - 5.5-15cc/min
046 - 6-17cc/min
460 Magnumwrap - 6-24cc/min.

Here's the thread :
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=57342

Hmmm... then you'll have to do a mild mod on the 361;)

Last edited:
I was considering getting a 361 and really i still am considering it but my dealer told my you cant put a .325 sprocket on it other than the 9t and it cant pull that I was hopin for the 18in .325 7t or 8t so to use the same chains as the 026 my dealer said he custom rigged one to run .325 but had to lathe a drum or something cant remember anyone have any ideas?

Not the 044 -the 046..

I published a set of number recently on the 361, 046 and 460M WRAP oil pumps. These all interchange and are infact are in fact the same pump with three different pistons/control screws.

361 - 5.5-15cc/min
046 - 6-17cc/min
460 Magnumwrap - 6-24cc/min.

Here's the thread :
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=57342

Hmmm... then you'll have to do a mild mod on the 361;)

oops, sorry.

Now, how bout the 036? It share commonality with any of them. I have a brand new stock 460 assy.

I was considering getting a 361 and really i still am considering it but my dealer told my you cant put a .325 sprocket on it other than the 9t and it cant pull that I was hopin for the 18in .325 7t or 8t so to use the same chains as the 026 my dealer said he custom rigged one to run .325 but had to lathe a drum or something cant remember anyone have any ideas?

I run 18" bar and chain .325 9T pulls it just fine in Oak.
see link below for 361 with .325 9T

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60497

I've used several 036 Pro's and 360 Pro's. Bought all of them off eBay; later sold them to friends of mine, who are still using them. I did a muffler mod and put in a new carb rebuild kit on them and they cut great in this hard oak we have here in West Texas. I preferred them to the 044's and 046's as they were lighter and better balanced for my handling.

I like my 361's even better; because, I have a muffler mod and a woods mod on both of them.

Hi there. I am new to this site and have never really worked with chainsaws before (even though I grew up in the country). I have run a very small STIHL about two years ago now and really liked it. I also really like my STIHL trimmer etc. My local STIHL dealer has recommended that I purchase the 361 as it is supposed to be a great all-round saw; reading the forums here I am coming more and more to the conviction that it is and am almost at the point of purchasing one. Right now I am going through safety manuals / videos etc to properly understand how to use one. I am also working with a friend to learn how to use one properly. My biggest question that remains is what this muffler mod involves. Many people talk about it and I am wondering what it is, what it does and how to do it.

Lastly, someone talked about synthetic oil - never heard of a synthetic 2-stroke blendable oil. Can someone please help me?

Need help in Ontario!

First off you should tell us what kind of wood ,how much & how big of wood you plannin on cuttin. Stick around were sure to run the bill up quite a few hundred more than you expected before were done . Hi. - :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

i always liked the 036 pro.

only thing i don't like is i never could find a stock one in good shape.they all seem beat to hell and back.

as for 440s,i know where there are a few still sitting on dealer shelves around here.they don't seem hard to find at all.

First off you should tell us what kind of wood ,how much & how big of wood you plannin on cuttin. Stick around were sure to run the bill up quite a few hundred more than you expected before were done . Hi. - :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Thanks for your help. I would be cutting both softwood (pine / spruce etc) and hardwood (maple / oak / birch / beech etc). Living in Southwestern Ontario tends to mean that our forests are laiden with both soft and hardwoods which makes choosing a saw that much more challenging. I would also be cutting many fallen trees up for firewood.

Hi there. I am new to this site and have never really worked with chainsaws before (even though I grew up in the country). I have run a very small STIHL about two years ago now and really liked it. I also really like my STIHL trimmer etc. My local STIHL dealer has recommended that I purchase the 361 as it is supposed to be a great all-round saw; reading the forums here I am coming more and more to the conviction that it is and am almost at the point of purchasing one. ....

Just go ahead, it is a truly great allround saw, and my favourite one.....:clap: :clap: :clap:

But if the size is wrong that doesn't help really - but I guess you told your dealer about what you are going to cut.........

I really like the 036, particularly the later versions - the 036-pro and MS360...

The 361 can do a little more than the 360, but not that much more....

+1

Three of my friends have 036 Pro/360 Pro saws that I bought for them off eBay a couple of years ago. I modified the mufflers, put on 20" bars. Some like .325 chain and some like the 3/8" chain, not a problem with either chain. I cut along side of them with my woods modified 361; and, they are as happy as pigs in _____. :cheers:

Why the heck to you want to run .325 on a 361??? I would flip the 026 to run 3/8. More better that way.

From my experience, I think that the .325 is the crappiest chain and bar size that there is, on any saw that I have run it on. That stuff just does not cut straight and the kerf is too wide. It feels like it is dull, even when it is razor sharp. I am currently swapping out all my .325 bars for 3/8 picco and I will be dumping them on Ebay. All my saws will then be running 3/8 chain, picco or standard.

I agree on the .325 chain, it is pointless.

As to the 361 and 036 Pro, I have both and recently had the same guy modd both the muffler and porting (on both), and before and after the 361 blows the doors off the 036, and I really, really like the 036, but the 361 simply out cuts it, both in stock trim and modified.

Get the 361.

Sam

Just go ahead, it is a truly great allround saw, and my favourite one.....:clap: :clap: :clap:

But if the size is wrong that doesn't help really - but I guess you told your dealer about what you are going to cut.........

Thanks. I talked to the dealer about the size of the wood - 16-24" diameter and he suggested getting the saw with two bars - a 16" for smaller items and get the 20" for the larger diameters.

Couple other things - what size chain do I use? I see some discussion on a .325 and a 3/8. Can you please help me here? I was thinking of getting a STIHL 33rm chain - the dealer recommended it as it has an anti-kickback feature built-in.

I agree on the .325 chain, it is pointless.

As to the 361 and 036 Pro, I have both and recently had the same guy modd both the muffler and porting (on both), and before and after the 361 blows the doors off the 036, and I really, really like the 036, but the 361 simply out cuts it, both in stock trim and modified.

Get the 361.

Sam

What is this muffler mod that everybody is talking about? Can you please advise as to what it is and how it is done?

You are right about the 361,,, about 5-10 more tanks and switch to synthetic oil,,, mod the muffer and you will be impressed!!!!

Can you please explain what synthetic oil you are referring to? I never heard of a synthetic for 2-stroke machines.

Why the heck to you want to run .325 on a 361??? I would flip the 026 to run 3/8. More better that way.

From my experience, I think that the .325 is the crappiest chain and bar size that there is, on any saw that I have run it on. That stuff just does not cut straight and the kerf is too wide. It feels like it is dull, even when it is razor sharp. I am currently swapping out all my .325 bars for 3/8 picco and I will be dumping them on Ebay. All my saws will then be running 3/8 chain, picco or standard.

You got that all wrong - .325 works great on many 50cc+ saws, at least in hardwood (provided it is the right kind and right gearing), and .325NK often is a better option than 3/8" lo-pro on the reasonably good 35-45cc saws......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back