Stihl 440 Or 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON K.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,I've been looking for a larger saw to buy for my landscaping buisness,I already have a 488,I need something larger for bigger trees and firewood..After much thought and alot of questions,I'm going to go with a Stihl(better dealer).Should I buy a 440 or a 460?What are the pros and cons of each?Thanks as always for the help,RON K.

Ron
I have used several of both. they are both excellent saws with no real problems. If it were me I would base my choise on how much cutting there would be with a bar longer than 20" and if it was mostly hardwood or soft. If its mostly hardwood and say a 24" and up bar, I would go with the larger saw because you will notice a diff in performance.

John

Get both!

Ron, seriously I would bet you'd be happy with either saw.

The 044 is a pound lighter and doesn't have a compression release.
The 046 has a little more power and a larger fuel tank but it is heavier and will cost you more money to purchase.

How big is the wood you intend to cut? John

Last edited:
Thanks for rhe response.The new 440 does have a decompression valve,according to the 2004 catalog.I don't know what size wood,what ever I come across.I'd get a 20" bar and could always get a bigger one if I have to.Joker,has written several posts where he says he perfers the 440 over the 460,I just don't remember why.RON K.

Ron, if your going to go with a 20 inch bar and the new 440 has a comp release, I'd go for the 440. In 20 inch hard wood the 440 will stay close to if not keep up with a 460. But like I said you'll be happy either way. Whatever you decide, when you get the saw, read some old threads about muffler mods or pm me and then open the muffler and adjust the carb. It will run stronger and cooler. John

Ron, I have a 460 that I really enjoy, other than a minor carburetor adjustment problem. I had the dealer put an 8 pin sprocket on it when new and it really cuts. Seems to have more power than my old 046's and 044's in almost all situations.

My 2003 440M has a decompression valve, and easy to start. Bob

I like the 440 better because in my mind it`s a better overall package. Lighter, cheaper, better track record, and it`ll darn near cut with the 460.

Russ

Back