Stihl 441C vs C-M identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C stands for Convenience. For example: E, easy to start. B, tool less chain tensioner. M, M-Tronic carburetor. Q, second chain braking.

In regards to stihl saw chain, C used to stand for comfort chassis. Now the C has been dropped, and uncomfortable saw chain is marked with a K, klassic.

Good luck with your new C! :D

I paid the asking price of $270...

Looks like it was kept in the back of the truck without being tied down, but if she runs well you got a great deal.

IMG_20140121_170638_091_zpsxlzdazhs.jpg

C stands for Convenience. For example: E, easy to start. B, tool less chain tensioner. M, M-Tronic carburetor. Q, second chain braking.

In regards to stihl saw chain, C used to stand for comfort chassis. Now the C has been dropped, and uncomfortable saw chain is marked with a K, klassic.

Good luck with your new C! :D

From the Stihl Website, a cut & paste: "To help you identify model features, look for these corresponding symbols: C = Comfort feature, E = Easy2Start™, Q = an additional chain braking system, R = wrap handle, and M = STIHL M-Tronic™. " Didn't think I was crazy. I believe the Comfort feature identifies saws with springs to dampen the vibration instead of rubber (the old way).

From the Stihl Website, a cut & paste: "To help you identify model features, look for these corresponding symbols: C = Comfort feature, E = Easy2Start™, Q = an additional chain braking system, R = wrap handle, and M = STIHL M-Tronic™. " Didn't think I was crazy. I believe the Comfort feature identifies saws with springs to dampen the vibration instead of rubber (the old way).
well that is wrong and what Brad and others are saying is correct. stihl website is wrong. I have a 441 C (M-tronic) and a 261C (M-tronic). period....

I'm pretty sure the C is on all the saws with springs now. I got corrected in another thread when I posted the C meant mtronic.

There are no springs on a MS 180 C-BE, or a MS 250 C-BE? What about the 044c?

There are no springs on a MS 180 C-BE, or a MS 250 C-BE? What about the 044c?

The 044C was automatic choke. It may not mean spring av then I thought that was what was told to me by someone that knows stihl stuff a lot better.

Everyone is getting tangled up here in muck, so let me see if I can clarify.

1) C Stands for Comfort Feature (not convenience), which is the spring AV (at least in modern times) on the Webstite. (But only M-Tronic saws are labeled with a C)

2) However, Stihl did not put a C on the recoil starter unless the Saw was M-Tronic (Don't ask me to explain how this makes any sense, it just is what it is) even if they had the comfort feature.

3) On the Website, M clearly stands for M-Tronic.

I know if you see a saw with a C after the # on the recoil starter it is an M-Tonic saw. I do not know if they produce a M-Tronic saw that does not have the comfort feature.

I think the Germans did it that way just to see how long it would take to confuse the folks in the US.

You seem very knowledgeable regarding the 441s, so please share. I thought the C stood for "Comfort", which referred to the spring suspension handle (instead of the rubber grommets like my 044), and I thought all 441s had that feature. Am I wrong? Thanks, in advance, for your response.

I have been around the MS441 saws since they came out, yes. As stated above from the Stihl site, C designates 'comfort' on Stihl saws, which depending on the model denotes different features. On the smaller saws, it usually applies to easy start and/or easy chain tightening features. On larger saws it has had several meanings, from auto choke (which is what is implied with the C in the M models) to quick stop chain braking systems. From my 2006 Stihl catalog, they say that the C = comfort features on the MS280 saw included the B: quick chain adjuster, the E: EasyStart feature, and the Q: second chain braking system (Quick Stop). Other available MS280 features were the V: Heated Carb, W: Heated handle, VW: Stihl Arctic, R: 3/4 wrap handle. That same year, the MS361 was available in the plain, C-Q, and C-B models. I have never seen a C-Q 361 or a C-B 361 though.

Until 2006 the 441 was only available in the original standard model. In 2006 the 'then new' C-Q model was added with a quick-stop chain braking system (the only difference, but they gave it a C-Q designation). Those two saws were also available in the R (3/4 wrap, big dogs and large side cover) and the VW (Arctic option with heated carb and handle). As I said above, the US saws all became Z models after the original release with the larger size springs. I think that was around 2006, but I am not sure when it happened. The 441 standard model was available until 2011 when it was dropped when the C-M (M-tronic) model was added. The 441 C-Q was available from 2006 through last year. The C-Q non-M-tronic model was dropped last year and now the 441 is only available in M-tronic, in the C-M and C-MQ (they are also available with R and VW options). The 441 has also always had Magnum designation, but that does not mean anything any more in the US. Once upon a time a Stihl Magnum designated a dual port muffler on the 044/440, 046/460 and 066/660 here and in Canada.

Thank You Windthrown for that very informative summary. In the "Professional" Saw category, did C (Comfort) represent anything other than the spring AV system?

I never ran a M-Tronic 441, but my 2011 pre M-Tronic 441 ran very well and had no issues. I also love my old 044, but it takes more pulls to start and does not have compression relief. We will see if my new 362 C-M turns out to be as reliable as my other two stihls have been.

Thanks again for the information summary, as I have stated before, I am on this site to learn.

MustangMike

Thank You Windthrown for that very informative summary. In the "Professional" Saw category, did C (Comfort) represent anything other than the spring AV system?

That question cannot be answered correctly. Sorry...

The Stihl spring system never was listed as part of the 'comfort' system on the 441, nor was the letter C assigned because of the AV type on any saw made by Stihl, pro or non-pro (that I am aware of). All 441 saws have a spring mount AV. As I said above, the letter C on a 441 designates that a saw has Mtronic, Quickstop, or both. On other saws, pro and non-pro, the C has designated Mtronic, Auto Choke, QuickStop, Quick Chain Adjust, EasyStart, or some combination of them. The letter C does not designate if a saw has spring or rubber mount AV. The letter Z indicates hard or stiff spring AV on the 441, but there is no designation letter for soft springs by themselves.

Clear as mud? Its typical German complexity, and makes more sense in German (or so I would hope).

I'm pretty sure the C is on all the saws with springs now. I got corrected in another thread when I posted the C meant mtronic.

Again, a C does not designate spring or rubber mount AV on any Stihl saw. All 441 saws are now C designated, and either Mtronic or Mtronic+Quickstop saws. Most Stihl saws are on springs now, including the 171, 181, 211, 271, 291, 311, 391, 362, etc. Many of them are not C models. There are rumors that all Stihl pro saws will be Mtronic in the not so distant future. In which case they may well drop the C for that feature, since all of them will have it.

Hard to say what they will do. The 461 does not have an M-tronic option or any other C option either. Nor is it on springs.

"C" just means that it has an additional "comfort option" over the standard model. There is not a Stihl saw model where some are rubber AV and some are spring. They may have stiffer or softer AV, but they do not switch AV systems within a model.

Back