Stihl and John Deere!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local Observations

Recently had to locate parts for my 6' bush hog cutter. Went to the closest dealer, a Kubota dealership to check on part/price/availability. Clerk at parts counter wants to sell me $90 unit, only way to get that part. I tell him thanks, I'll think about it. The Kubota dealer is also a Stihl dealer. In all my visits, including this time, I walk around the the Stihl product and never does any clerk or sales person asked to show me, demo any of the products much less ask what I was interested in buying. I will admit that they carried most, if not all the products.

After I left, I got on the Internet, located the cutter parts diagram and called another bush hog dealer. This time the part was available for less than $4.00. Ordered it over the phone and the part arrived and I was called to come get it. Well, I drove 40 miles, paid for the part. Before I left the dealer (another Kubota dealership) I walked over to the Stihl products display. Not many saws, mostly empty. The Stihl display sat right in front of their Parts Counter. Not one person asked me any question on Stihl product.

Story about to end. Got home, wrong part had been ordered. Called dealer, got right part on order. When I returned to this dealer again, I walked over to Stihl product and not a peep from any clerk or sales person.

I don't think guys on commission for $20 - $30K tractors care about $500 saws. I'll take my business to the local independent.

The best tractor and saw in the same building?? I have died and gone to heaven.:clap: :angel: :love1:

I thought that was Simplicity and Husqvarna!!

P1030175.jpg

P1030176.jpg

Kevin

Stihl is going to be sold only in the JD dealers that...

#1 qualify to stihl dealer standards

#2 Want to carry Stihl hand held power equipment.

Stihl is only going to be able to be sold at JD servicing dealers. Will not be in home depot. JD is discounting their current products to close them out. Stihl will only make products that have the Stihl name and will not manufacture for another company. JD dealers do not have to carry Stihl it is just JD's preffered handheld power equipment. Stihl already has 500 JD dealers in their network. kKnd of funny since for years JD has tried to push Stihl out of their stores requiring it to be in a different show room ect. now they say well I guess its ok.

Last edited:
You want our product you sell only our small power equipment and no others, you get that stuff out the building before you put ours in, that hard ball baby,LOLOL

(woodie open wide, yank)

Yea and that would be restraint of trade and could get the justice department to go after Stihl. However OPE is hardly on the justice departments "radar screen".

The most likely scenario is that Stihl offered JD a boat load of co-op advertising and get started dollars.

Last edited:
Stihl is going to be sold only in the JD dealers that...

#1 qualify to stihl dealer standards

So does "qualify" mean that for a JD dealer to get Stihl there can't be another nearby competing Stihl dealer? I thought Stihl regulated dealership territories. Is that all waived with JD?.

In other words if "mega" JD dealer is next to "ma and pa" Stihl dealer will Stihl give the shaft to the "ma and pa" dealer that's been loyal up till now.

We have been a Stihl dealer for 25 + years. For bout the last 5 + years we are what Stihl calls an Elite dealer. I don't mind the competors in town but I feel that the loyality from Stihl has been broken. We have had other Stihl dealers pop up in town and they leave almost as fast as they come. Our company has a good reputation and we will survive as we have before. I hear all the time from customers that they hate walking into the JD dealer in town. Yes, I am sure there are people that say the same about us cause you can't male everyone happy. I guess I am let down more than anything. I will say that my Stihl rep had the nerve to call before I read it hear.

So does "qualify" mean that for a JD dealer to get Stihl there can't be another nearby competing Stihl dealer? I thought Stihl regulated dealership territories. Is that all waived with JD?.

In other words if "mega" JD dealer is next to "ma and pa" Stihl dealer will Stihl give the shaft to the "ma and pa" dealer that's been loyal up till now.

Yep, more than likely.

It's all about the almighty buck................Even with Stihl.

Andy

I hate to say it but for me this is a good thing. All we have for a stihl dealer is ace hardware and they don't even sell any pro saws. I drive 32 miles to buy a saw or to browse. huge JD dealer 1/4 mile out of town:greenchainsaw: Can't wait to browse it and compare price's. Don't get me wrong I feel for you dealers on here worried about buss. This is just from my angle of it.

Last edited:
Stihl, Husky, and Dolmar are all good manufactures in my book. Deer however is junk, always has been always will be. There overpriced, under powered and cheaply made. I look at JD like I do GM, built down to the last cent.

I'll take a Kubota over a JD every time.:cheers:

Last edited:
I have to say that I prefer my local JD Stihl dealer to my local non-JD Stihl dealer. I was all set to buy an 028 from the non-JD dealer, and one of his mechanics blew up the saw while tuning it.
So I just come on here, see what part number I need, and get it from the JD guys. And they're cool - one time they let me come back into the shop area and see their chain sharpener and stuff, which is not something I would have thought they'd do (liability crap and what-not, you know).
One time, I had my formerly square-ground chain sharpened there, and when I went back to get it, the counter guy looked at it when he was giving it back and didn't think it was quite sharp enough, so he touched it up right then. They've got at least a couple good guys working there.

Last edited:
Stihl, Husky, and Dolmar are all good manufactures in my book. Deer however is junk, always has been always will be. There overpriced, under powered and cheaply made. I look at JD like I do GM, built down to the last cent.

I'll take a Kubota over a JD every time.:cheers:

+1 . Two nearby farmers where I live have new JDs. Both have had the PTO transmission broken down. They lack hydraulic capacity for forestry machines. The cabin is small and loud.

Best tractor in the world is Fendt (by far the most expensive one too....)
Second I would say Massey... Third Valtra from Finland.

Latest posts

Back