Stihl and John Deere!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm..............Didn't say they manufacturing them for deere ...Just selling them in there dealership......

So you got the Zebra part wrong.......Only HuskypoulanJred is a zebra....

Woodie I hear Walmart is having a sale on the 2153's this week......

Last edited:
Isuzu, I mean Chevy

Daewoo, I mean Chevy

All car companies do it.

Yanmar, I mean John Deere.

I could go on for days.

Yes and you could do the same with Ford and Chrysler...

Doesn't look like Stihl is going to make saws for John Deere so Woodies Zebra issue is Huskypoulanjredmax and many other in there family.....:clap: :clap:

Local Observations

I don't think guys on commission for $20 - $30K tractors care about $500 saws. I'll take my business to the local independent.

I'd say this quote pretty much sums it up. My local JD dealer sells Stihl saws and weedeaters along with the JD saws. They're all off in some little hole in the wall from the main showroom of mowers and tractors. Matter of fact, if you go look at the saws, they've all sat on the shelf so long that there's a good bit of dust on them.

I purchased a ZTR JD this spring at this dealership. Do you have any idea how hard it was to get someone to sell me a $5000 mower? They were all to busy selling $50,000+ tractors. I was a complete waste of their time, haha! I know I'm not some big operation farmer or dropping alot of cash at their dealership, but I hate being made to feel like I don't warrant a salesman even approaching me. Finally, when a salesman did attend to me he did apologize, which was nice. He was working up the paperwork on an $80,000 tractor for an older gentleman. And let's be honest, anyone in their right mind would have put me or anyone like me on the back burner.

I guess you have to look at it from the prospectives of JD and Stihl. JD is eliminating much of the headaches concerning inventory of parts, equipment iteself, etc. of all the OPE and outsourcing it to a company like Stihl. Althought I would imagine they still will have inventory of parts from companines they've teamed up with in the past (Homelite, Emak, etc). Stihl is teaming up with a premiere name in JD. Stihl gets even more exposure and ultimately more sales. It's a win-win for the both of them.

In the end, a good dealership will come out on top. It doesn't matter if the dealership sells saws, weedeaters, four wheelers....whatever. The cream will rise to the top. Just like with anything else, if you don't like the service you received, take your business elsewhere.

Time for a little truth serum....:D

Does John Deeer make ****?.....NO, over priced YES!

Does Stihl make ****?.....NO (except a few weed wips), over priced YES!

Is this a good deal for Deere & Stihl.....Of course!

Is this a good deal for ma & pa dealers.....Of course NOT!

Yes, Yanmar makes/made JD compact diesel tractors and they absolutely are every bit as good as Kubota.

My FX series Yanmar tractor has been the most utterly reliable piece of equipment I own, period.......I have done nothing to my mine in 7 years but change fluids and it does everything around my property......Rode hard and put away wet! :cheers:

mow
bush hog
grade
rototill
plow
haul
etc.

My JD dealer carries Stihl and Echo now. I wonder if Echo will be out the door like Thall said? And one thing else the counter people at my JD dealer don't know Jack about Stihl chains or HP ultra oil. I went in last Friday and asked for a 20" loop of Stihl RSC 3/8 .063. and the young man looked at me like I was from Mars. He asked me "Whats a loop, do you mean a roll of chain". Then proceeded to give me a 20" loop of .325 RS. because he didn't have the RSC. Of course I told him never mind I'll get one latter.:dizzy: :dizzy: Than I asked him if he had any HP ultra and he said "No but he has echo syn. which is better because it is full syn. and HP ultra is a blend":dizzy: :dizzy: So I went to my truck and got a empty bottle of HP ultra and showed him right on the bottle where it states fully syn. :dizzy: :dizzy: Man what a trip!I have bought JD tractors from that dealer and have been very satisfied. So I guess tractors only from the JD dealer. :givebeer: :givebeer:

It's pretty much a non-event around here (many JD dealer are already carry stihl), but I can see it screwing up small towns if Stihl allows existing JD to take market from smaller Stihl dealers. It's all conjecture at this time - we'll see if they do... It is possible that "qualify" means more than we think.

Also, there are plenty of Stihl dealers that sell maybe 50-75 units a year.... That's barely a "dealer'. JD will do a heck of a lot more, especially if they drop one of the "other" brands... JD also has problems with the "box stores" whoring Echo etc.. I wonder if Stihl pulled an "exclusive"?

Didn't you mean to say Yanmar ~ Cub Cadet????? or was that Yanmar ~ Isuzu, Who aren't they in bed with these days?

Scott

No matter who they're in bed with.....They still make one hell of a tractor/diesel motor.....Why do you think everyone wants to hire them? :cheers:

What has us worried, is we are smaller dealer and we sell Toro and Stihl recently more focused on Stihl. There are 3 JD dealers within 15 minutes drive, the closest is 5 miles away. Two of them sell Echo currently, and the closest one sells JD brand hand held products. The closest JD dealer has 5 locations and does easily 50+ million in sales, they are the biggest retailer of JD in the region. If they get Stihl it would put us out of business in a matter of months.

Last edited:
More info

Some more info:

July 28, 2008
TO: All John Deere Ag Combination & C&CE Independent Dealers (U.S. & Canada)
FROM: Bob Barbour, Group Director, Marketing Operations & Customer Support
R/E: Marketing Agreement with STIHL Inc. & STIHL Ltd.
Today, John Deere will announce STIHL Inc. and STIHL Ltd. as the preferred supplier to
John Deere dealers gas powered and corded handheld power equipment in the United
States and Canada. This announcement unites two premium brands within the outdoor
power equipment industry and enables qualifying dealers the opportunity to provide
customers the leading handheld power equipment brand.
What prompted this decision? The decision to partner with STIHL resulted from our need to
increase our focus in other strategic growth areas as well as ensuring dealers the opportunity
to partner with a leading supplier of residential- and commercial-grade portable power
products.
Will John Deere-branded handheld power equipment continue to be manufactured?
The existing John Deere-branded handheld power equipment will soon be substituted with
the STIHL portfolio at qualifying dealers across the United States and Canada.
What will happen to the existing John Deere-branded inventory? A special order program
featuring substantial order discounts on remaining factory inventory of John Deere-branded
handheld power equipment begins on 01 August 2008. For existing dealer inventory, part
numbers will remain current until 01 November 2008. Online customer coupon offers will
assist you in retailing current inventory.
What do I need to do as a dealer? If you currently carry STIHL, you do not need to do
anything extra as a result of this announcement. It is not mandatory that you pick up the
brand. If, however, you would like to add STIHL handheld power equipment to your product
offering, please contact your local STIHL distributor [see attached map]. All John Deere Ag
and CCE dealers, regardless of location, may apply. To carry the line, dealers must meet all
normal STIHL requirements and abide by the brand’s policies and procedures.
NOTE: All ordering and warranty processes will be from STIHL. Dealers will not access any
John Deere systems to carry STIHL products.
What about parts and service support for John Deere handheld power equipment?
Service parts will be kept per normal obsolescence policies. DTAC will continue to provide
service support, and normal warranty will apply.
Will there be any joint marketing programs? John Deere and STIHL are currently
developing joint marketing, advertising, and dealer training programs which will be
communicated at BTL and Parts Expo.
In closing, we are confident that this partnership will further your ability to provide your
customers comprehensive solutions and enhance your profitability opportunities. Additional
information will be conveyed over the coming months. In the meantime, please contact your
John Deere territory manager with any questions.

No scam my friend. If you look closely at what John Deere is saying its obvious whats going on. John Deere is getting rid of all small power equipment that bares their name but made for them. Other words they are getting rid of the junk and have decided to carry Stihl as they're preferred supplier of small power equipment. The big differance is the product will carry the Stihl name, not the John Deere name. This is a win win for Stihl all the way. Read the fine print from John Deere:

For over 170 years, John Deere has remained committed to providing its customers an exemplary experience in the form of durable, high-quality products and service solutions," said Bob Barbour, Group Director, Marketing Operations and Customer Support for the Worldwide Commercial & Consumer Equipment Division. "Partnering with STIHL, a recognized brand that shares a proven quality record within the powered handheld equipment industry, enables us to provide our customers a complete portfolio of outdoor product solutions."

The existing John Deere-branded handheld power equipment will soon be substituted with the STIHL portfolio at qualifying John Deere servicing dealers across North America. Barbour said, "This decision will enable us to better support growth strategies and offer our customers an industry leading brand of property owner and commercial grade portable power products." Joint marketing efforts will take place between John Deere and STIHL to increase awareness of both brands' product offerings at qualifying John Deere dealer locations.

It appears Stihl has knocked out the previous makers of JD small power equipment in one swift punch. Looks like they have knocked out other brands of small power equipment from other makers sold at JD dealers as well and gained a huge network of JD dealers.

Seeing how JD is removing all their brand name small power equipment and replacing it with the Stihl line up it appears JD was the one looking for a better product line to sell. They chose Stihl and if you were Stihl you would have to see this as a sweetheart deal.

Note too both Stihl and JD are saying the Stihl line up will be at qualifying JD dealers. Seems Stihl is well aware of the point your making Spike. Qualifying means some JD dealers will not get the Stihl line up. Most likely due to some big Stihl dealer located too close to the JD dealer.

We have a JD dealer about 11 miles from us. They carry Echo. I assume they will go Sthil now and Echo is out the door since Stihl will be JD's perferred brand of small power equipment now. Should be interesting to see how the other manufactures react to this partnership.

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy;

If existing Stihl dealers have some say as to whether or not the local Deere dealer can have the line, then PERHAPS things haven't changed all that much. But I think you'll agree that Stihls' track record in this area isn't all that good. Didn't they already open up a guy 10 minutes from you in the last year or so? I'll bet that if any Deere guy wants it, he'll be able to get it. Stihl is notorious for splitting hairs with regard to coming up with any and every reason to set up more and more dealers. The rental store, the guy who sells to loggers, the guy who sells homeowners. Now, we can add the Deere dealer.

Example: There is a Stihl dealer 1/2 mile from me. If I tried to get the line, they would tell me no, and protect their dealer as well they should. But if I was a John Deere store instead of Cub Cadet, would I be more likely to get the line?

Yes, this will be good for Stihl, but not for many of their loyal, (where have we heard that word before?) dealers.

Just a little update fellers. Was on the phone just a little while ago with our Stihl rep and it appears things aren't as they may seem in this thread. From what all I could gather heres the scoop. First off all John Deere dealers are independent just like all Stihl dealers. The head honcho's at corporate JD have told their dealers there will be no more JD small power eqiupment to sell. No more green trimmers or saws. They are apparently through with the deal of buying small power equipment made by someone else and rebadging it John Deere for the JD dealers to sell. Corporate has suggested to its dealers to replace the JD small power equipment line up that will soon be history with Stihl. The dealers will not have to carry Stihl at all but there will be no more rebadge equipment carrying the JD name to sell. JD is only suggesting to it's dealers that Stihl is their perferred choice to replace their small power equipment line up.

Stihl on the other hand still reserves to the right to supply some dealers and not others, other words business as usual. They will treat new JD dealers like any other dealer. This brings it back to protecting dealers they already have. If there is a long time Stihl dealer across the street from the JD dealer and they're moving alot of Stihl chances are slim that the JD dealer will get the Stihl line up in his showroom.

The losers in this deal are the companies that were making the small power equipment for JD. This will cost them millions. The big winner is Stihl. John Deere could have just as easy went to Husky, Dolmar, J-red or a host of other major makers but they chose Stihl as their preferred choice to replace the small power equipment line up that carried the JD name. No doubt there are some JD dealers now carring the other big name power equipment and will continue to do so. The big differance is corporate JD and corporate Stihl will advertise and market only with each other, no other brands. So its a win win for JD and Stihl.

Last edited:
Tommy, Tommy, Tommy;

If existing Stihl dealers have some say as to whether or not the local Deere dealer can have the line, then PERHAPS things haven't changed all that much. But I think you'll agree that Stihls' track record in this area isn't all that good. Didn't they already open up a guy 10 minutes from you in the last year or so? I'll bet that if any Deere guy wants it, he'll be able to get it. Stihl is notorious for splitting hairs with regard to coming up with any and every reason to set up more and more dealers. The rental store, the guy who sells to loggers, the guy who sells homeowners. Now, we can add the Deere dealer.

Example: There is a Stihl dealer 1/2 mile from me. If I tried to get the line, they would tell me no, and protect their dealer as well they should. But if I was a John Deere store instead of Cub Cadet, would I be more likely to get the line?

Yes, this will be good for Stihl, but not for many of their loyal, (where have we heard that word before?) dealers.

Look up SPIKE..

Latest posts

Back