Stihl chains vs. Husqvarna chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who cares?

Here we go again... How's that 40 yr old Husky running? OH yea, thats right... There are no 40 yr old huskies running are there? hehehehehehe

:popcorn:

who wants to drag around a heavy 40 year old chainsaw that revs out at 5000 rpms or less?

Interesting...

Are they too heavy for your girly arms??? I run a 56Mag all the time. Must be you need to get to your hair appointment since your in such a rush with your fast rpms... hehehehehehehe

Point was, the Stihl's have always run longer, and had a TON more torque than the huskies. I've got'em both, I run them both on a daily basis. I've got a box of junk huskies as well as Stihls, the huskies are just newer, lmao...

:chatter:

Speaking of which, I'm looking for a p/c for one of those FINE 394XP's from 1999. You know, they do run forever... hehehehehehe

Last edited:
I surprised no one mentioned Carlton! In my recent lab testing, carlton was slightly harder than Stihl which were both harder than Orgeon. Hardness isn't everything but it's a good start.

Bravo Bob. As I've mentioned in previous threads the American guys must be getting a different standard Stihl chain to us in Australia. Its nowhere near Carlton or Windsor, particularly in semi chisel, in my experience. You'd also have a tonne of experience on mills in hardwood which would sort out the good from the not so good.

Stihl chain has no competetion.:chainsaw:

In Australia it is completely out done by other brands in price alone. Even if it was the best chain in the world, and many people think it is, I still wouldn't pay the 15-30% premium being asked for by Stihl dealers in Australia over its competition.
What amazes me is the amount of Stihl owners here who think that their saw can only use Stihl chain :)

Stihl makes great chain but it is only available at dealers and some stihl dealers do not stock all kinds or gauges. If you have a stihl saw with a stingy oiler, you might need to run stihl chain (oil-o-matic) to help put oil where it is needed. The site sponsor Baileys is a great source for chains. You can get two loops of Woodsman pro or Oregon for about the same money as one loop of stihl chain. Mix and match. Try a loop of chisel and a loop of semi chisel or a loop of skip to see what you like best. I sharpen the saw everytime I refuel or whenever it needs it so Oregon/Carlton works great (and cheap) for my cutting needs.

In Australia it is completely out done by other brands in price alone. Even if it was the best chain in the world, and many people think it is, I still wouldn't pay the 15-30% premium being asked for by Stihl dealers in Australia over its competition.
What amazes me is the amount of Stihl owners here who think that their saw can only use Stihl chain :)

I've tried most of the others who some here "claim" they are better. LGX is the closest but no cigar. I get great prices on the Stihl chain so it's a win win for me. And yes, my Stihl saws can only run Stihl chain.:D

I think your biggest problem has nothing to do with chains.

It's the fact that you need permission from your GF to cut wood.

But Stihl chain is by far the best for stay-sharp.

HAHAHA funny Huh?

Ya, that is not really the case but we do work opposite shifts mostly and someone has to be with the kids.

I thought you guys would like that!

Well I decided on the Stihl chains because I have a Stihl shop 2 miles from me. I couldn't find Carlton in what I need.

And yes, I told the Stihl guy it is going to go on a Husqvarna!!

I would run stihl first. SOme of the husqvarna chains have curved (bent) rakers and are a pain to take down when needed. I would change out your saw for .50 3/8ths chain, easier to find.

Bailey's sells Carlton chain. It is re-boxed as Woodsman Pro. I do like its edge holding ability a lot better than that of Oregon. The price is reasonable. If I could buy Stihl chain at a decent price I would run it too. I am curious to see if Blount Inc., who bought Carlton last year to go along with their Oregon & Windsor lines, jacks the price up and/or lowers the quality of the chain. I sure don't think that they are going to lower the price. Nothing like buying up the competition. :mad:

Latest posts

Back