Stihl chains vs. Husqvarna chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried most of the others who some here "claim" they are better. LGX is the closest but no cigar. I get great prices on the Stihl chain so it's a win win for me. And yes, my Stihl saws can only run Stihl chain.:D

I thought that you might only be able to run Stihl chain on your Stihl saws ;) I'm having trouble finding McCulloch chain for my MAC 10 and Homelite chain for my Super 2.

You are absolutely correct...for second place.
Just like Carlton has no real competition for first place.

:) :agree2:

Mike I run Stihl RSC on every saw I have, and I would never switch back to any other chain.

I've never noticed my files dulling faster with Stihl chain whatsoever, I think a lot of that has to do with people drawing the file backwards over the tooth, I also keep my files very clean.:cheers:

Mike I run Stihl RSC on every saw I have, and I would never switch back to any other chain.

I've never noticed my files dulling faster with Stihl chain whatsoever, I think a lot of that has to do with people drawing the file backwards over the tooth, I also keep my files very clean.:cheers:

Great thanks!:chainsaw:

Got a ton of cutting to do coming up when I get the proper permission slips signed, notorized and back from the G/F to do something fun.

Anyways, I have a stihl and husqvarna dealer close to me and was wondering who I should buy a back-up chain from.

Who makes a better chain? I will be cutting hardwoods. I am not opposed to Oregon or any other brand but want a good strong chain that will last cuz I am limited for time and can't stop so much for resharpen and stuff.

The chain I need is 18" 3/8 058 68dl.

Also, is there a better pitch, and DL thickness to run on the Husqvarna 460?

Thanks for any info!

I prefere Stihl chain when I have a real choise, but not with a really wide margin for my use (mostly clean and green birch).

Stihl chain in .058 may be hard to find though - they are made, but usually not in stock at the dealers.....

Last edited:
husquvarna chain is made by oregon, and stihl makes their own chain in virginia beach. in my opinion stihl makes better chain, but like i said, that is just my opinoin. also, the stihl chain has really hard cutters that last in hardwood. get the rsc chain or if you are less experienced get the "green box" safety chain. if you get stihl chain.

Got a ton of cutting to do coming up when I get the proper permission slips signed, notorized and back from the G/F to do something fun.

Anyways, I have a stihl and husqvarna dealer close to me and was wondering who I should buy a back-up chain from.

Who makes a better chain? I will be cutting hardwoods. I am not opposed to Oregon or any other brand but want a good strong chain that will last cuz I am limited for time and can't stop so much for resharpen and stuff.

The chain I need is 18" 3/8 058 68dl.

Also, is there a better pitch, and DL thickness to run on the Husqvarna 460?

Thanks for any info!

Stihl. Stihl's chains last much longer than do the Oregon chains that Husky uses.

no girly arms here.

Are they too heavy for your girly arms??? I run a 56Mag all the time. Must be you need to get to your hair appointment since your in such a rush with your fast rpms... hehehehehehehe

Point was, the Stihl's have always run longer, and had a TON more torque than the huskies. I've got'em both, I run them both on a daily basis. I've got a box of junk huskies as well as Stihls, the huskies are just newer, lmao...

:chatter:

Speaking of which, I'm looking for a p/c for one of those FINE 394XP's from 1999. You know, they do run forever... hehehehehehe

just don't see the sense in carrying a boat anchor.we have a like new 056 super.it's gutless and has very little torque.372 will walk all over it and weighs less.plus parts are available for the 372.keep what ya like though.it's what makes America great.i just like ribbing the Stihlheads.they get defensive fast.it's cheap entertainment.

take better care of your stuff.

Are they too heavy for your girly arms??? I run a 56Mag all the time. Must be you need to get to your hair appointment since your in such a rush with your fast rpms... hehehehehehehe

Point was, the Stihl's have always run longer, and had a TON more torque than the huskies. I've got'em both, I run them both on a daily basis. I've got a box of junk huskies as well as Stihls, the huskies are just newer, lmao...

:chatter:

Speaking of which, I'm looking for a p/c for one of those FINE 394XP's from 1999. You know, they do run forever... hehehehehehe

lack of maintenance is usually the cause of a P/C failure.i have seen many Stihls brake down.my buddies MS660 had to be rebuilt after 2 months use and he's good about maintenance.

i'm glad there are people who will only buy Stihls.that means more Husqvarnas for the real men.

I will see what the Stihl guy has when I go up tomorrow, and I also am gonna buy some carlton chains just to have some on hand.

056 like brand new.

That 056 must be in bad health. Put a 42" on a known good 056 and your 372,then give us another report......

sat on the dealers shelf until we bought it 2 years ago.i rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel line just because it sat so long.still gutless.not worth messing with.it's for sale as is another one we have.i got 5 031's you can buy too.

sat on the dealers shelf until we bought it 2 years ago.i rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel line just because it sat so long.still gutless.not worth messing with.it's for sale as is another one we have.i got 5 031's you can buy too.

Those saws are for giant wood. That is not a saw you want to slap a 20" b&c on and fell/buck some trees...

I'll give ya $100 for it since you are so unhappy.

Well I decided on the Stihl chains because I have a Stihl shop 2 miles from me. I couldn't find Carlton in what I need.

And yes, I told the Stihl guy it is going to go on a Husqvarna!!

LOL!!

My dealer keeps aking me when I'm gonna step up and buy another Stihl, and I keep telling him "As soon as the last one ya sold me wears out".

Didja get the RM or RSC?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Beating a dead horse, but STIHL chain is the best available. Some folks might say that Stihl chain is too hard to sharpen, but it's harder to sharpen because the quality of the material is harder and lasts longer.

Beating a dead horse, but STIHL chain is the best available. Some folks might say that Stihl chain is too hard to sharpen, but it's harder to sharpen because the quality of the material is harder and lasts longer.

I dunno where the "Harder" to sharpen comes from.
I find it easier. Not that the file cuts it easier, it dosn't, but because it is harder burrs are easier to feel and when the cutter is shaped properly an even and obvious resistence is felt on the file. The softer steels are "Mushy" feeling under the file to me, but then I am used to working with 4150CM and 4140 with files so I might be "Goofy".

Stay Safe!
Dingeryote

I have run a lot of Carlton and Oregon chain, but I recently switched to Stihl 33RSC, and that's the fastest cutting chain that I have ever run. It NOT low kickback chain, so keep that in mind, and you will have to keep it out of the dirt. Good luck with your project.

I find it easier. Not that the file cuts it easier, it dosn't, but because it is harder burrs are easier to feel and when the cutter is shaped properly an even and obvious resistence is felt on the file. The softer steels are "Mushy" feeling under the file to me, but then I am used to working with 4150CM and 4140 with files so I might be "Goofy".

Stay Safe!
Dingeryote

Very well worded response. I would agree with the part about the burrs as I personally think the STIHL chain is easier to sharpen myself. My earlier thought being that "hardcore" Oregon guys think STIHL chain is crap, because they find it physically harder to work with. Well I'm starting to beat the deadhorse again, so I'm off to bed......:deadhorse:

those Germans can really build something nice if it doesn't use an air filter.

They probably can. But it can be hard to see if there is a Stihl
guy anywhere around cleaning one of those air filters. When he
pushes the trigger on his air gun you will think then sun went down.

Point

Stay Safe!
Dingeryote

You can always tell the softer chains by the size of the filings... With softer ones you get those long curly ones, harder you get smaller filings... At least that's what I've found...

:agree2:

I have used a couple Carltons and found them to be a very good chain... ON a side note...

They probably can. But it can be hard to see if there is a Stihl guy anywhere around cleaning one of those air filters. When he pushes the trigger on his air gun you will think then sun went down.

I agree although every saw I've used/seen including the bigger names like Stihl/Husky/Dolmar etc all have had air filter issues in Australia in dry conditions. I know a guy who killed an 880 in record time and they luckily covered it under warranty. They then told him he had to use the extreme conditions filter set up which is hell ugly. I've had to use spray filter oil on my Husky 3120 and Dolmars to stop dust getting through.
I haven't found any chain that I would call crap but still think Carlton/Windsor are the toughest I've used. I liked some Oregon LGX too that I had it just didn't suit the conditions I cut in. Great for green wood, excellent in fact.

Latest posts

Back