STIHL? Forestry Helmet System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes, that is the direct replacement for the whole assembly. But since I already have lots of Peltor 10a and 10b's around the shop (I spend about 40 hrs a week in hearing protection), I simply snapped out the earmuff portion, and used the exisiting lumberjace mounting hardware. Worked fine for me, as I was concerned on whether the muff would fit under the helmet when closed.

Here is an example of the 10b which I used to use under helmets, faceshields and such. The muff itself is the same as your link, and the other 10 series earmuffs.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/Peltor_H10_Earmuff-Neckband_Model

Or if you like brighter colors, then you could swap these muffs into the lumberjack holders:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/Peltor_H10_Earmuff-High_Visibility

I am an equipment fanatic, and once I came up with this setup, I could never go back. I got the final motivation because of SRtech was using the muffs from you link on a Petzel helmet - but I like the faceshield and rim.

Last edited:
helmet.jpg

My Peltor Lumberjack now looks like this (different muffs):

So far I have seen some pretty good comments about the "Stihl forestry helmet". My wife is looking to buy me a forestry helmet and chaps setup for my upcoming B-Day (end of this week). I originally told her to grab the helmet from the local Stihl dealership......not so sure that is my best choice. I have been reading many of the posts relating to the forestry helmets. Some folks are complaining of broken parts and lack of durability regarding the Stihl one. What about the Peltor? Is it true that the Stihl & Peltor are the same helmet or maybe no longer true? I'm thinking that the Peltor might be what I need to direct my wife to. I found the Peltor helmet in a local timber supplies retail catalog. The Peltor was at least $10.00 cheaper than the Stihl. Anyone have any opinions or comments to ad?

SK, I can't comment on the Peltor, but the Stihl helmet has proved to be durable for my use when assembled properly.

Get both and let us know! :yoyo:

Yeah, it would be nice to get both and try them out........however I need to save my pennies for that Dodge Cummins pick-em' up truck I want.:D

Yeah i have a Husqvarna helmet. I have used it hard for almost a year now. I love the "break away" ear muffs. They pop off the helmet instead of breaking off. I too, have also spat into my mesh a couple times. I think it would be nicer if it had plexi-glass or similiar instead of mesh to keep that fine sawdust out. I wear safety glasses as well, regardless, but one more layer of glass couldnt hurt

I love my new peltor from baileys

After numerous times trying to fix the ear muff on my Piece Of Stihl helmet, I ordered the peltor helmet from baileys. Couldn't be happier. it fits tighter & still has the twist adjustment for the headband. I think it was $44.95 plus S&H

ended up getting a Peltor Helmet...

Very_comfortable to wear!!

I think I'll go with Peltor! Sounds like many people have had more good experiences with them. My local timber supply company has the peltor helmet for $39.95 :D

I bought a new Peltor and the spring counterbalance on the face sheild makes the face sheild pop up everytime I look down to buck a log.Other than that it's great

The stihl forestry helmet seems to hold up better than the stihl euro style helmet(which is set to be discontinued).

I have the Stihl helmet, and my only complaint would be the same regardless of brand. When I'm cutting in the morning or evening when the sun is low, The glare off the screen blinds me and I find myself flipping it up a lot. I had thought about taking it off and going to glasses, but then I'd have the sweat/fogging issue.

Does the sun glare off the screens in your Bugz FHCW? I'd think they would.

Ian

helmets

The thing that I like the best about the Stihl helmet is the overall length of the face screen. The current version is about 2" longer than the older style. The old one didn't keep my chin from getting gobsmacked all the bloody time. This newer one keeps my chin protected.

Also, I've gone with click-type glasses under the helmet. They open and close from the front magnetically and have foam around the eyepieces - absolutely NO sawdust in the eyes anymore.

Latest posts

Back