Stihl is WAYY better than Huskie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting for someone to say...

Hands up, back against the wall. Stop rhyming PA and no one will get hurt!!!

:yoyo: :fart: :help: :laugh:

Ask your Stihl dealer.

When I go to work tomorrow I will stand in the mirror and ask myself what the costs are. Rat I've sold over 2000 Stihl in the past couple of years, hint hint,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

What was your markup Mr.Hall??

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bout 30-40%,LOLOL Hey I been eyeing that new Chevy pick up with the fancy wheels, I had to raise my profits man. Sides how you think I got this new TV. Once I get all my toys I'll putem back down to regular mark up, 22-23%, till then let the good times roll,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lookin' good

former CHAMP,

Lookin' good here. That's the CHAMP we all know and remember. Now, toss that remote to Woodie, get NewGuy to return them Demi DVDs, put down the Cheetos and reclaim your belt.

current CHAMP

When I go to work tomorrow I will stand in the mirror and ask myself what the costs are. Rat I've sold over 2000 Stihl in the past couple of years, hint hint,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Cool tell me about dealer incentives ?

Tell me about promotional programs ?

Tell me about saws like the 0XX models being replaced and the deals you give on them to move them out ?

Come on I know about retail sales.

:givebeer:

Tell me about saws like the 0XX models being replaced and the deals you give on them to move them out ?

Those 0XX saws are being dropped because of the epa, what happened to the 372?. I would not doubt that husky has paid a RAT to work in Stihl to find out how to build a good saw:biggrinbounce2:

This thread was great, but now it's done,
All of this yappin has spoiled our fun.
We need to tease and kid some more,
Get rid of the 'tudes, and no more bore!!

TUDES ???

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:

I might be going to the farm soon to cut some wood

Will post some pics to show you all what wood cutting with a Husky and Jonsered is all about .

Bookmark this page .......... let the good times roll.

Give me a week or so ....to post the pics.:chainsaw:

Will post some pics to show you all what wood cutting with a Husky and Jonsered is all about .

Your saws will be in the shop for that long, I'll give you 2 months:hmm3grin2orange:

Come-on, your baiting us? No saw if it runs is a week slow, to get enought cut to take a picture?

Cool ....i'll be interested in checking out the pics.

Okkkkkkkkkk first off there is no incentives on the chainsaws, NONE. They have a 6 tier price level. Your tier is based on what you sell. N0.6 is the highest tier and to get you have to sell at least 335 units a year.
Blowers, if you wanna buy 40 blowers they will give you one. So much for incentive huh, buy $8000.00 worth of blowers and you get one 400.00 blower for free, wow, what a deal. Trimmers, same deal, buy 40 300.00 trimmers and get one free. No thanks we say, not worth tieing up that much money on one order for one mere freebie.

Slow movers, Stihl has none. When new models come out to replace a older model the older models are sold first then the new models are brought in, simple logic, get rid of the old without breaking the bank.

Discounts are based merely on how a customer acts. If he really buys a bunch I will automaticly give a discount. If they act right and only buy one unit and ask politely I'll give them a small break, not much room to work a deal at 23-24% mark up. NO ONE GETS MORE THAN 10% OFF and then only if they buy a bunch of units at onetime.

What else ya wanna know Rat???

You sure are full of it tonight... and this isn't like the retail you say you know about. BTW, What retail is that?

We sell about 800+ new units a year... a decent sized dealer for Stihl... and in the "top" tier of discounts. Our dealer discounts are 18 to 23%, like Thalls, and average 20%. That's before the 3% average charge on a credit card.. Oh yes... more then half of the Stihl dealers get a lot less discount.. like 15-20..

Dealer incentives, like sales spiffs? NONE (in the PNW region). Oh, they let up order a month of inventory once a year and not pay for it for a couple of months.. Nice... On selected models (max of 6 units once a year - big deal), we can get another 10% of so long as we use them for demo. You think we get full list on even a lightly used saw?

Promotional programs? NONE... oh, they will rebate part of our local avertising, but to a limit, and, we do pay 1% to them for nationwide advertising.

WHAT 0xx models ?- there haven't been any for over 5 years... if you are talking the likes of the MS440 - NOT A PENNY incentive... even stihl knows they aren't a problem to move.

Last edited:
Okkkkkkkkkk first off there is no incentives on the chainsaws, NONE. They have a 6 tier price level. Your tier is based on what you sell. N0.6 is the highest tier and to get you have to sell at least 335 units a year.
Blowers, if you wanna buy 40 blowers they will give you one. So much for incentive huh, buy $8000.00 worth of blowers and you get one 400.00 blower for free, wow, what a deal. Trimmers, same deal, buy 40 300.00 trimmers and get one free. No thanks we say, not worth tieing up that much money on one order for one mere freebie.

Slow movers, Stihl has none. When new models come out to replace a older model the older models are sold first then the new models are brought in, simple logic, get rid of the old without breaking the bank.

Discounts are based merely on how a customer acts. If he really buys a bunch I will automaticly give a discount. If they act right and only buy one unit and ask politely I'll give them a small break, not much room to work a deal at 23-24% mark up. NO ONE GETS MORE THAN 10% OFF and then only if they buy a bunch of units at onetime.

What else ya wanna know Rat???

I think he is done Tom, TKO:blob5: :Eye:

The older ya get the more you will agree with me that the best saw
is not a saw at all it is a caterpillar dozer or track hoe with a thumb.
I would rather ride my saw than carry it :laugh:

Good informative post. I assume your dealership is a tier 6?

Yup yup and getting No.6 level isn't hard at all. Selling 335 motorised units of Stihl is easy. I don't know of many in my area that doesn't sell at least 500 a year with ease. I know I've said it before but the biggest draw is the customer knowing the brand and knowing too he can bring it right back where he bought it should he ever have a problem. Those are the biggest selling points to most customers I sell to..

Rat tried to make a point on big mark ups in the units when the unit is small mark up item. The money is made in accessories like trimmer line, chains, parts, oils and fuel mix. The unit itself is the tool to sell the rest of the items that go along with it. Thats where profits are made, not on the unit itself.
Far as service goes, a man would starve to death servicing Stihl. They don't have nearly the problems one would think from what you see on this site. I think I did maybe 10 warranty jobs last year out of 542 units and they were all minor, no money to speak of.

Hmmmmmm, doin' a little figurin'.

The local Stihl dealer, sells the MS 660 w/ 36" B+C for $1095, so a 22% profit would be $900 dealer cost.

I can buy a 395XP w/ 36" Husky B+C for $930.45 to my doorstep. Assuming ground shipping eats up $30, a 22% profit would be $740 dealer cost. Well, the factory can't be making them for that, so the profit markup must be lower, (kind of a given with online sales) maybe $800~825. (9~12.5%)

So, this only leaves a few possible conclusions:

1. The dealer markup of 22-24% is not true, and must be more. (but I doubt this, and I believe Andy and Tom, though I have a gut feeling the 880 might be a bit more than that)

2. The factory is making a much larger profit, with the claim it's to support it's dealer network, despite the higher costs actually benefiting dealers in any way, or . . . .

3. There are other kickbacks or incentives for dealers.

4. Labor is siginifcantly less in Sweden.

Just thinking out loud. Doesn't really mean much, since I don't think there's an argument the Husky's can be bought for less.

(I'd like to compare the Jonsered 2095 and Dolmar PS-9010 too, but finding prices doesn't come easy)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edit: Sorry, I started putting this together around 10 PM, so some clarifications have been made before I posted.

Last edited:
Back