stihl ms 290 vs. ms 310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltrane

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have come down to a choice between these two saws. if anyone has any opinions please let me know. it will be used just for firewood only nothing real big.

ltrane said:
I have come down to a choice between these two saws. if anyone has any opinions please let me know. it will be used just for firewood only nothing real big.
Welp..........I found myself asking the same kinda question as yours.........290 or 390 and after studying the forums and listening to the pro's here I ended up with a pro saw MS 361 for about $150 more :hmm3grin2orange: Always better to go bigger than smaller as my ex girlfriend used to say:hmm3grin2orange: I am so happy that I bought the bigger 361 and love Big Brutus and I rarley cut bigger than 12 inch wood :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
Welp..........I found myself asking the same kinda question as yours.........290 or 390 and after studying the forums and listening to the pro's here I ended up with a pro saw MS 361 for about $150 more :hmm3grin2orange: Always better to go bigger than smaller as my ex girlfriend used to say:hmm3grin2orange: I am so happy that I bought the bigger 361 and love Big Brutus and I rarley cut bigger than 12 inch wood :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Thanks alot for the info this forum has really been alot of help! I have been cutting with ms 250 for the last 2 weeks, probally about 10 eight foot bed pickup loads and if the chain is not new or just sharpened its just not enough!

Seeing as they all weigh the same, 290 310 390, may as well get the 390, they are all 13pds ea. may as well get the one with the most power!!!
Or do as talon says, get the way better saw, 361, and be done with it. But I will leave that up to you:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Seeing as they all weigh the same, 290 310 390, may as well get the 390, they are all 13pds ea. may as well get the one with the most power!!!
Or do as talon says, get the way better saw, 361, and be done with it. But I will leave that up to you:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Thanks alot i will definately look into the 361!

ltrane said:
Thanks alot i will definately look into the 361!
I guarantee you ltrane that you will quickly forget the extra bucks that the 361 will cost ya once you cut your first piece of wood with the MS 361:greenchainsaw: The MS 361 will set ya back around $575 + tax :cheers: Did I mention that the saw is also about 1/2 pound less in weight then the 290, and 310 while supplying more horsepower :cheers: By the way...........welcome to the best wood forum in da world :bowdown: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Talon

Last edited:
Do a search on these two saws. The issue has been discussed a lot in the past and you should be able to find everything you need to know in the old threads.

I've run them both. 290 versus 310, there isn't any real difference in the real world. If you can get the 310 for a few bucks more, go for it. If the price is a lot higher, save your cash.

I've got an 039 (390). Like it, but like my dad's 038AV more. I dual ported the muffler on the 039, cuts better/faster. I normally run an 18" rollomatic with a Carlton chipper (3/8), but lately, I've been cutting a LOT of oak logs in half to split, and I put a 20" with a STIHL RS on. That cuts faster than the chipper. :D

I want an 038 Magnum or MS460 Magnum, but I'll never be able to afford even a parts 038 mag, it seems. Maybe the 460, but I sure like those 038's!!!

computeruser said:
Do a search on these two saws. The issue has been discussed a lot in the past and you should be able to find everything you need to know in the old threads.

I've run them both. 290 versus 310, there isn't any real difference in the real world. If you can get the 310 for a few bucks more, go for it. If the price is a lot higher, save your cash.

Thanks i have been searching alot for a comparison between the two i was wanting some real imput from people that have used them and truly know the difference. People that really know saws! thanks for everyones help!!!

Ok, I bought a new 390 a year ago, loved it, really good saw did everything I wanted and needed. Ran a 24" bar decently in hardwoods. Picked up a Husky 262xp at a garage sale, basicly the same size saws. The 262 cut circles around that 390 and laughed the whole time it did it!!!!! That is the difference between a pro and a non pro saw. Do you need a pro saw, probably not. If you buy the non pro then run a pro of the same size you will hate youreself in the morning!!!! Just some more food for thought.
Andy

ltrane said:
Thanks i have been searching alot for a comparison between the two i was wanting some real imput from people that have used them and truly know the difference. People that really know saws! thanks for everyones help!!!

These are both capable saws. The 390 makes no sense, costing nearly as much as the pro-grade 361; I don't know why anyone would buy one, frankly. The 290 and 310 do make sense, though, as they are a cheap way to get into a reasonably powerful saw.

With an 18" or 20" bar running .325" pitch chain, they do a respectable job in hardwood. You will not get faster cutting in hardwood with 3/8, despite the preference of some folks to run it. I ran a 290 for years and in the early days of Emerald Ash Borer here in Michigan we were cutting a lot of large 20"+ ash almost every weekend. My 290 kept up just fine, and with a sharp chain it performed quite satisfactorily. More recently, I've used a 310 that a relative borrows from work, and it is OK, but I can't tell the difference between it and a 290.

So here's the deal: The 290/310/390 are reliable as heck, a bit overweight for their power (more so with the 290/310, obviously), and their air filters get dirty faster than some of the more modern saw designs. But they tend to work when you need them to. The 290 at $320 is a decent deal. The 390 costs a lot, the same as vastly superior pro-grade saws (Stihl 361, Husqvarna 365).

What kind of bar/chain setup are you running on your 250? How are your chains beeing maintained? A more powerful saw won't make a hoot of difference if your chain sharpening techniques aren't up to par. Neither the 290 or 310 are that much more saw than the 250, frankly, so if you're looking for a LOT more saw then you should forget the 290/310 and look elsewhere.

Last edited:
computeruser said:
These are both capable saws. The 390 makes no sense, costing nearly as much as the pro-grade 361; I don't know why anyone would buy one, frankly. The 290 and 310 do make sense, though, as they are a cheap way to get into a reasonably powerful saw.

So here's the deal: The 290/310/390 are reliable as heck, a bit overweight for their power (more so with the 290/310, obviously), and their air filters get dirty faster than some of the more modern saw designs. But they tend to work when you need them to. The 290 at $320 is a decent deal. The 390 costs a lot, the same as vastly superior pro-grade saws (Stihl 361, Husqvarna 365).

What kind of bar/chain setup are you running on your 250? How are your chains beeing maintained? A more powerful saw won't make a hoot of difference if your chain sharpening techniques aren't up to par. Neither the 290 or 310 are that much more saw than the 250, frankly, so if you're looking for a LOT more saw then you should forget the 290/310 and look elsewhere.

Thanks for making me feel even better about buying a 390 in the first place!!!!
Andy

computeruser said:

With an 18" or 20" bar running .325" pitch chain, they do a respectable job in hardwood. You will not get faster cutting in hardwood with 3/8, despite the preference of some folks to run it. I ran a 290 for years and in the early days of Emerald Ash Borer here in Michigan we were cutting a lot of large 20"+ ash almost every weekend. My 290 kept up just fine, and with a sharp chain it performed quite satisfactorily. More recently, I've used a 310 that a relative borrows from work, and it is OK, but I can't tell the difference between it and a 290.

Thanks alot computeruser that was some great info! i have a 16" bar with a .325" RM2 chain on my 250. I am really not looking for alot more in a saw just alittle extra when it counts!

ltrane said:
Thanks alot computeruser that was some great info! i have a 16" bar with a .325" RM2 chain on my 250. I am really not looking for alot more in a saw just alittle extra when it counts!

In that case, either the 290 or 310 would meet your needs.

Regardless of which you choose, you can still get more out of your 250. Just lose the RM2 chain. Running RM instead will help a bit, retaining the edge-holding ability of a semi-chisel chain but clearing the chips easier. Alternatively, round-chisel chain like Stihl's RS will make a huge difference in improving your cutting speed, assuming your wood is clean. Caseyforrest did a test of RM versus Oregon 20LP (roughly analgous to Stihl RS) on his MS361 at our last get-together and found that switching to the round chisel sped his cuts up by two whole seconds for two cuts in 8x8 poplar.

Make sure your sharpening angles are appropriate for the wood you're cutting, which may or may not be what the package suggests for resharpening angles. Good sharpening makes a world of difference.

Also consider opening up the muffler a bit so the saw can breathe better (assuming your carb is not a fixed hi-speed jet version, which would make re-tuning after the muffler modification a problem...). That should be good for a 10% increase in power, I should think.

computeruser said:
In that case, either the 290 or 310 would meet your needs.

Regardless of which you choose, you can still get more out of your 250. Just lose the RM2 chain. Running RM instead will help a bit, retaining the edge-holding ability of a semi-chisel chain but clearing the chips easier. Alternatively, round-chisel chain like Stihl's RS will make a huge difference in improving your cutting speed, assuming your wood is clean. Caseyforrest did a test of RM versus Oregon 20LP (roughly analgous to Stihl RS) on his MS361 at our last get-together and found that switching to the round chisel sped his cuts up by two whole seconds for two cuts in 8x8 poplar.

Make sure your sharpening angles are appropriate for the wood you're cutting, which may or may not be what the package suggests for resharpening angles. Good sharpening makes a world of difference.

Also consider opening up the muffler a bit so the saw can breathe better (assuming your carb is not a fixed hi-speed jet version, which would make re-tuning after the muffler modification a problem...). That should be good for a 10% increase in power, I should think.

Thanks alot for all the help! I will take everything into consideration.

Just for a little more confusion:

ms 290 3.75hp 13pds

ms 310 4.0hp 13pds

ms 390 4.3hp 13pds

ms 361 4.4hp 12.3pds

Want some Husky ifo to compare it to:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
This site is adictive, you have been warned!!!
Andy

Lakeside53 said:
Get the 310 if it's between the 290 and 310.

Get the 361 if you are looking at the type of money the 390 costs...

yeah i think i am leaning towards the 310. seems like allittle more bang for only 50 dollars more. it should cut circles around what i am going to cut!

Back