Stihl MS261 or Husqvarna 545?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry power head
261%20Empty-L.jpg

346%20Empty-L.jpg

Ready to cut
261_Full-L.jpg

346_Full-L.jpg

Been running a 550xp and a 562xp ever since they were introduced (first generation). The 550xp starts, runs, re-starts just like any other normal carb chainsaw. The 562 takes two pulls to re-start when it is warm and no I don’t use fast idle. Rock solid saws just like any other husky I have owned. Wish I could say the same about my stihls.

Been running a 550xp and a 562xp ever since they were introduced (first generation). The 550xp starts, runs, re-starts just like any other normal carb chainsaw. The 562 takes two pulls to re-start when it is warm and no I don’t use fast idle. Rock solid saws just like any other husky I have owned. Wish I could say the same about my stihls.
I'm glad your saws run well, but I read of FAR more issues with the 550 and 562 than I do of the 261 and 362. There have been a couple Stihls here and there that needed an inexpensive solenoid, but there have been countless Huskys that have had ongoing issues, some that have never been solved.

Now, I'm not brand biased when I say the above. Most of my work saws became Huskys over the years. But, the 550 and 562 have been plagued with issues.

The newest MS261 is the lightest pro 50cc on the market right now.
I am sorry but this is NOT true! To be correct the Echo 501sx is the lightest pro 50cc on the market right now!

Echo 4.7kg
Stihl 4.9kg

Definitely an exception.
Of that I am not quite sure. Certainly not to the extent of Husqvarna but there have been quite a few remarks of pros (in another forum) having problems. So to be honest I seriously doubt that they are both in any way perfect.

The newest MS261 is the lightest pro 50cc on the market right now.
Like this one? Late 2016? It's nice, smooth as butter but not as powerful as I thought it would be. Do these struggle to break in like the MS362's??
f2865ae21eb61c7c02d5d98fdc8d1721.jpg
7930769cf7d454be5c587ad1cfb72003.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

I'm glad your saws run well, but I read of FAR more issues with the 550 and 562 than I do of the 261 and 362. There have been a couple Stihls here and there that needed an inexpensive solenoid, but there have been countless Huskys that have had ongoing issues, some that have never been solved.

Now, I'm not brand biased when I say the above. Most of my work saws became Huskys over the years. But, the 550 and 562 have been plagued with issues.

No biggie. I remember when the dolmar 5100 came out and we had countless rumors of the saws blowing up killing busloads of nuns. Mine ran fine until it was replaced by the husky 562xp. I also have the worlds worse luck. If something is going to break down, it will do so when I own it. I own a lot of husky, stihl, dolmar, redmax, shidaiwa, honda, and echo. Only stuff I have ever had to bring back to the dealer was stihl stuff. Well-built good looking saws but shitforbrains engineering on every other aspect.

Same here with a 562xp. No issues at all.

Latest posts

Back