Stihl ms362c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

So you can tell from a photo that a saw is "whipped?" Based on what...missing paint on a bar? So what if the seller puts a new bar on it...what then? Now because it has a purdy new bar suddenly its no longer "whipped?" Its the same powerhead. Nothing changed. You can't tell anything from a photo and certainly can't draw conclusions based upon the amount of paint on a bar. Better advice would be to suggest the guy go look at it and then he can get an idea of the condition. Start it up...run it, etc.

As for the price....for $225 - $250 more he can buy a new MS362. A pro logger or someone cutting continuously might not mind spending $750 for a new saw. Other folks may opt for a used pro saw and save some cash. To each his own.

Again I ask, are you the guy selling the 361?

525.00 for a used saw that cost somewhere around 650 new and has the less than desirable plastic quick chain adjuster? You can keep it, even for half that money but thats just me. My area that saw would fetch maybe 400. Its a good saw but the plastic chain adjuster is a joke on a pro saw IMO.

Again I ask, are you the guy selling the 361?

Since you simply must know, I'll share something but its the end of the conversation -- no more follow-up questions will be answered.

I get flown around the country by Manufacturers to professionally test, write and publish reviews of outdoor power products. I'm fascinated behind the human dynamics where an individual will look at a poorly taken photo of a product and draw conclusions that something is wore out. With no regard to the fact that cosmetics typically has no relation to the amount of useful life left in a work tool.

I'm also fascinated where people will weigh-in with opinions as to the value of something even though their opinion isn't in-line with the advertised prices all over craigslist and ebay. Especially without taking into consideration that prices vary with location in the Country. The value of anything is established by what someone can sell something for and what someone else is willing to pay. If the saws are being advertised at the $500 - $550 range and selling -- then that's about what its worth. Are there some to be had for less money? Sure... you can always find a better deal if you shop around long enough. On the other hand, does it make sense to buy something cheaper (which typically means buying from a region where prices are depressed) and after adding shipping to the cost it becomes a financial wash? Not really...not when you can see and touch the local item before you buy it and you minimize the risk of being defrauded. That or you can spend months trying to find the best deal locally -- which you then have to weigh against the fact that you could have had the use of the item for months and, moreover, weigh the value of all of your time you invested trying to save a few bucks. I'll spend my time to save $500 on a purchase but I won't spend months trying to save $50 - $100. To each their own.

In any case, its a fascinating look into different people's views on things.

Last edited:
I don't give a fat dogs azz what the specs say the 362 is no heavier than the 361 and has way more torque than the 361. I had a 361 for about a week and was never so disapointed from an overhyped performance standpoint. Go 362, will cut a truckload before it needs refueled and performs with a 20" similiar to a 372.

I don't give a fat dogs azz what the specs say the 362 is no heavier than the 361 and has way more torque than the 361. I had a 361 for about a week and was never so disapointed from an overhyped performance standpoint. Go 362, will cut a truckload before it needs refueled and performs with a 20" similiar to a 372.

What fantacy world are you in? :msp_confused:

new 361

I agree with the above, I recently bought a 361 in pristine condition for $390. I believe I got a great deal but I think $ is as high as I would go personally

Since you simply must know, I'll share something but its the end of the conversation -- no more follow-up questions will be answered.

Removed Comment. Nothing positive to say. :taped::taped::taped:

I get flown around the country by Manufacturers to professionally test, write and publish reviews of outdoor power products.

With your previously (completely biased) statement about the quality of Husqvarna products, I have to wonder what kind of reviews you are writing? Husqvarna sure makes alot of power products, you know, being that they own at least half of all the smaller brands out there. I wonder if your employer knows that you go into these things with an open mind...... Sounds like they're getting a good value for their money. :msp_thumbsup:

I'm fascinated behind the human dynamics where an individual will look at a poorly taken photo of a product and draw conclusions that something is wore out. With no regard to the fact that cosmetics typically has no relation to the amount of useful life left in a work tool.

If someone is foolish enough to put up a poor grainy photo of an item from only one view, then they should expect to get less from it. If they mis-represent it as a 362 just to get folks to come and look then it turns out to be a 361, they should expect to have a pissed buyer, no sale, and maybe a black eye. If that saw really is a $500+ machine (and this is NOT out of the question for a MINT 361) then the guy selling it should be doing a better job of representing it. If the guy can't (or won't) represent it properly then the price goes down. It is called marketing. I have sold several rebuilt MS-290's within $50 of the price of a new one, but the ads for all of them were very specific and had lots of pics.

I'm also fascinated where people will weigh-in with opinions as to the value of something even though their opinion isn't in-line with the advertised prices all over craigslist and ebay. Especially without taking into consideration that prices vary with location in the Country. The value of anything is established by what someone can sell something for and what someone else is willing to pay. If the saws are being advertised at the $500 - $550 range and selling -- then that's about what its worth. Are there some to be had for less money? Sure... you can always find a better deal if you shop around long enough. On the other hand, does it make sense to buy something cheaper (which typically means buying from a region where prices are depressed) and after adding shipping to the cost it becomes a financial wash? Not really...not when you can see and touch the local item before you buy it and you minimize the risk of being defrauded. That or you can spend months trying to find the best deal locally -- which you then have to weigh against the fact that you could have had the use of the item for months and, moreover, weigh the value of all of your time you invested trying to save a few bucks. I'll spend my time to save $500 on a purchase but I won't spend months trying to save $50 - $100. To each their own.

In any case, its a fascinating look into different people's views on things.

I'm not sure where you are from, but I am doubting the location on your profile. Here, it is pretty much standard practice to offer at least 25%-30% LESS than the asking price for a craigslist item. Most sellers inflate the price to get what they actually want. If the CL stuff is advertised at $500, it probably actually sells at around $375 (which would be fair for a decent 361). Just because the ad disappears does not mean the asking price was gotten. It just means the item sold. This is not my "view," it is reality.

You still have not answered the question. Good luck selling your 361 with plastic chain adjuster.

What fantacy world are you in? :msp_confused:

Forgot to mention that when my 372 died I replaced it with the 362 and can tell you running it from a horizontal position all day that it performs very similiar with plenty of grunt and is way more balanced. I am in no way implying that if I was to throw a 24" bar on the stihl that it has the same nads but serves equally as well with the 20" which is the job I use it for.

Latest posts

Back