Stihl MS391, my first saw, help me accessorize it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realitycheck

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, as you can see I am a newbie here. This will be my first saw and I want it to last a very long time. I want to outfit from the get go to make it run right. I am going to put the 20" bar on it. I have been reading about bigger dogs, ceramic roller chain catchers, etc. This is all new stuff too me. So what should I put on the saw to get me started?

Thanks all for your help.

You picked a nice saw. IMO I would just run it. Best "accessory" is a sharp chain. Dual dawgs, roller catchers, etc., are nice but they won't make you a better sawyer. Keep the filters clean and use good oil and your investment will last a long time.

You picked a nice saw. IMO I would just run it. Best "accessory" is a sharp chain. Dual dawgs, roller catchers, etc., are nice but they won't make you a better sawyer. Keep the filters clean and use good oil and your investment will last a long time.

Excellent advice.
I would also suggest some good protective gear.
Enjoy your new saw!

Thanks Oscar. I know its all opinion. But what's a few good brands of oil to run?

Any of your name brand oils are good either Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna etc. all make a good quality oil. On top of a good oil, clean air filter, and sharp chain, using good fresh gas is also important. Just make up small amounts, because gas now starts to go stale and lose it's octane within a month or so.

I would also say: just run it stock..
Before starting to work let it heat up, so it's on fine running Temperature and if it's worked hard, let it cool down a bit in idle.
Always keep it clean especially cylinder and coolingair intake..

Its just a darn saw, add mixed fuel with sthil or husky mix and bar oil, a nice sharp chain and go cut wood.
The accessories your saw needs is a paint brush (cheaper than an air compressor, to keep it clean) and a file to sharpen the chain. The most important thing for you to do is look after your new saw.

Pete what parts are these and where are they located?

Coolingair intake is opposite of the clutch side, where the Flywheel is located, the cover over it is the "intake".
There fresh air is sucked in for cooling the engine, if it's clogged with sawdust, the engine overheats.

The cylinder ist the metal part under the cover, the one with all that fins ;) it also should be cleaned after usage. (alos for cooling reasons)

X2 on everything you said. I have a 25 for my 391, it can turn the chain pretty good but nothing like 044 will to that chain lol.

***GORE WARNING***

A sharp chain is the best thing for cutting, along with chaps. I recently cut my leg with my 391 and it went through my flesh like butter. Here see for yourself.
Pic 1 After the cut
Pic 2 Waiting for stitches
Pic 3 Next morning. (look closely and u can see where the bumper spikes went into my leg)

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO... full wrap handle and fallin' dogs. They are perfect for a 391.

:laugh:

Gary

I believe you can add falling dogs to the 391 but a wrap handle not so much.

Personally I think the 391 is a great saw for what it is, and I do not see a problem if the guy wants to add the second spike to it. People add them to the new 362 and old 390s and 361s for one reason they want extra bite and maybe look. (Gary I do see where you are coming from though there are a lot of wannabes out there that do it just for the look only not function)

At the moment I am adding a set to my 391 and 044 for one reason I use my saws to help make a living along with wood cutting to help make maple syrup and little extra bite does not hurt anything either lol.

Last edited:
Unless you're a faller the dogs aren't needed. Plus the 391 prolly has aplastic clutch cover to mount them to anyways.

Wraps and dogs on saws under 70cc's, not used for timber falling are a waste of money. Plus they will reduce the useable length of your bar. If only runnin' a 20" bar... just sayin'.

Gary

Unless you're a faller the dogs aren't needed. Plus the 391 prolly has aplastic clutch cover to mount them to anyways.

Wraps and dogs on saws under 70cc's, not used for timber falling are a waste of money. Plus they will reduce the useable length of your bar. If only runnin' a 20" bar... just sayin'.

Gary

Second that, or is it a third? No falling dogs on a plastic clutch cover. It will crack the cover. Just go run the saw and decide on the MM later on. Have fun.

Back