stihl or husky topping saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonez10

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
looking into selling some saws to buy a new tophandle saw stihl or husqvarna
im wondering from people who have used both which you liked better and why?
and which model you used?
and if your a husky guy or stihl?
thanks

As much as I like Husqvarna, the MS200T is THE top handle saw to buy, IF you are going to use it professionally?

If not, then this opens up the door for a lot less expensive options. I have an Echo CS-360T, with a minor muffler mod, and it has proven to be dead solid reliable, PLENTY of power, and cost me less than half the price of the Stihl.

I watched folks bash the Echo saws ever since I started visiting this website. Most of the bad press comes from early designs, when they used reed valve engines, which were pathetically anemic compared to current offerings.

A couple of other companies are also offering imported top handle saws, but I have no direct experience with any of them.

I've used the Stihl MS200T, and the 338XPT Husqvarna, and my little Echo CS-360T. The Stihl is the king of the hill, the Husky is decent, but I own a little Echo, it serves me quite well, and I had enough money left over to buy another saw, chaps and a nice helmet with a face shield!.....Cliff

looking into selling some saws to buy a new tophandle saw stihl or husqvarna
im wondering from people who have used both which you liked better and why?
and which model you used?
and if your a husky guy or stihl?
thanks

I had a Husqvarna 334T (I sold it a while ago) which was a nice runnin' saw, but you had to be very careful; the top handle where it mounts to the saw body would break with any kind of rough handling. I also have an MS200T which is a much more sturdily built saw. I am Husky biased (I own 3 372's and a modded 362 special) but I have to hand it to STIHL on this one!:biggrinbounce2:

The Solo 637 is also a player in this game...

attachment.php

...but the Stihl is the Top top handle.

I've been considering a top handle, but I've never ran or owned a top handle. I'm a Husky guy, but I think I would just go with the best deal, since my top handle would see very litte use.

thanks for the replies
i was more looking at the stihl 192t rather than the 200t half the price

You will not be satisfied with a 192t for anything other than prunning or small tree removals. Just not enough guts for large removals. The 200t easilly pulls a 16" bar and rips through 20+ inch seasoned oak with ease.

I'd rather have a used 200t than a new 192t.

the problem im facing is i dont have the $600 for the 200T maybe ill be able to find a used one!

That's exactly why the 200t's are so popular on Ebay. One of my local Stihl Dealers has preannounced a sale the last two weekends of Oct. Check around and maybe you can do a little better than manufactures list price.

That Makita from Baileys is an absolute bargain at that price.
I have the smaller 22cc version i use for trimming in the woods when doing path work, small branches etc. Made in Japan, it is very lightweight, has adjustable oil flow and side tensioner. Starts first time from cold or when hot. :)

top handle's are not for ground work.
If you want something light,don't limit yourself to paying for an arborist saw.
just get yourself a husky 346xp and you will be happy.
50cc and only 11 lbs.
leave the top handles for climbers.
pointless to buy one otherwise.
we don't use our top handle saws on the ground.to slow and unsafe.

Stihl 200T - 35.2cc (msrp $600+)
Stihl 192T - 30.1cc (msrp $310+)
Solo 637 - 40cc (msrp $440)
Echo 360T - 36.2cc ($300)
Echo 330T - 32.6cc ($260)
Dolmar PS3410 TH - 34cc (?)
Makita DCS330t - 32.3cc (bailies $270)
Efco 132S - 30.1 cc (bailies $273)
Tanaka 3301 - 32cc (bailies $310)
Tanaka 3401 - 34cc (bailies $340)

:monkey: They say you will pay for the best.

Company I've been working with here seem to favor using the Stihl 192T (price seems to be the reason) to keep saws in the family (running Stihl products). Anything larger the 361 or 441 are sent up.

Last edited:
Hey Bonez you friends with any of the crew from TLC's Heli-loggers Series? Seem to remember them living in Duncan, BC.

im really thinkin bout that stihl 192t or makita because of the price
right now i have a husky 35 just doesnt seem to cut it

hey bigredd no not friends with any of them one of my buddies actually worked with gord and his brother

Latest posts

Back