Stihl or Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87iroc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new saw. I was planning on spending around 300 dollars and want to get a decent saw.

I will only use it occasionally, but want something that isn't going to wince when I try to chop up a tree. I used my brothers John Deere saw a couple of years ago. I think it was a 45 or 50 cc with a 18 or 20" bar.

I'm thinking something with a 16" bar would probably be fine, but it would be nice to be able to step up to a 18" bar if needed, so I think I want a saw overpowered for a 16" bar.

I was looking at the MS210 Stihl, but was suprised it only has a 35 cc engine. I also was looking at the MS 230, but they didn't have one at my local shop.

I was at Rural King yesterday and for 300 they have 2 Husky's to choose from, the 345 or 445. Not sure what the difference is...both were 300 bucks.

How are Husqvarna saws? Don't wanna screw up and buy a piece of junk...both looked nice and HD.

I like the idea of a Stihl, but a Husqvarna is a bit cheaper and seems to have more power for the bar size.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The 445 is replacing the 345.
The 345 is a pretty good saw, and a 16" bar is perfect.
Everyone will tell you to get the 346XP, so run before you spend $200 more!!!

i have husky 350 and a friend has a 210 i know there is alot more power in the 350 it will out cut a 210 almost 2to 1 in bigger wood 13" plus running stock chain no mods i will say the 210 is a tough saw he cut alot of wood with it .....i can say a 50cc saw with a 16" or 18" bar will do more and cut faster and are better all around saws

Go with a Poulan Wildthing..........Best Husky saw out there....:) :)

Thanks for the opinions...keep them coming.

I assume the above is a joke, right? I know that Poulan and Husky are made by the same people. I was 'hoping', possibly naively that the Husqvarna is still made to Husqvarna specs and not a cheap made over Wild Thing with a higher price?

The 210 is not as big as the 350 so that is not even a comparison. My MS270 walks all over my brothers 350 and that is an even comparison. I got my 270 for 329.00 if you are willing to spend 30.00 more than what you said.It is surely worth it. the dealer wanted 369.00 for it and came down. I have bought 6 new stihls in the last 1 1/2 months. Stihl dealers will come down a good chunk of change. Shoooot he wanted 859.00 for my MS460 and sold it to me for 779.00!! He has my MS660 waiting for me for 975.00 and thats a deal. Try to get a deal at TSC and see what they say, YA RIGHT!! STIHL BROTHER:chainsaw:

The MS250 would be better with a 16" and could go to 18" if needed, they run about $320 here for the standard version. Put a few more dollars in and get the MS270. The next step would be the MS260, bad arse little saw but it's their pro 50cc saw, usually around $450-475.

I would look at the Husqvarna 350. It's a great little saw. I used mine alot and haven't had a problem. It will run a 13 to 20 bar, so your 16 incher won't be a problem. I run a 18 in bar with mine, it's not a powerhouse, but if your not trying to break any speed records than it's fine.
I look into a use one though. You can save yourself some money and get a better saw. Every saw I've brought has been a use saw and I've not had any problems (knock on wood)

What side of Columbus do you live? I live in Brownstown. I know of a used 350. I think they want 175 for.

Thanks for the opinions...keep them coming.

I assume the above is a joke, right? I know that Poulan and Husky are made by the same people. I was 'hoping', possibly naively that the Husqvarna is still made to Husqvarna specs and not a cheap made over Wild Thing with a higher price?

Keep hoping :)

I cant say about small Stihl's because I havent owned one but dont think you couldnt go wrong with either, just make sure you have dealer support with either imo.

I have a 345e 16" I bought as a trim saw its a sweet little saw to use, its light and plenty of power just perfect around the yard. hth

I replaced it right away with a 346NE (same size and weight more hp/rpm) because I cut a lot of firewood and wanted a more powerfull pro type trim saw that could double as a felling/bucking saw.

Kansas

Get the best you can afford, for $300, you cant get allot of saw in the NEW linup. Maybe look around for a good used saw. Nothing wrong with a Husky, just stick the the Sweedish built ones. 345 is a great saw, I have one with a 18" bar, it pulls it no problem, its a really nice small saw.

I would look at the Husqvarna 350. It's a great little saw. I used mine alot and haven't had a problem. It will run a 13 to 20 bar, so your 16 incher won't be a problem. I run a 18 in bar with mine, it's not a powerhouse, but if your not trying to break any speed records than it's fine.
I look into a use one though. You can save yourself some money and get a better saw. Every saw I've brought has been a use saw and I've not had any problems (knock on wood)

What side of Columbus do you live? I live in Brownstown. I know of a used 350. I think they want 175 for.

Missed this before...

I live up in Edinburgh and work down in Walesboro. Friend of mine, John Martin grew up in Brownstown...we work together here.

Back