Stihl or Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd buy a used 026 for $200... and driink the rest;)

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm leaning toward this idea. I searched for the 026's and seems to be a good bunch that you can have for reasonable. The 026 is equivalent o the new 260...so it's in the right range.

If not a 026, I'll probably go with a 230 or 250. They should do the job for me.

I saw way too many comments about 'get one with a good dealer support' in your area to ignore that. We have a local Stihl dealer. Husky only has Lowes and Rural King...so no support there to speak of. Stihl dealer could probably work on it in a pinch I guess.

I know of a used 350. I think they want 175 for.

Oh, forgot to comment on this.

How old is the 350? While I'm leaning toward a Stihl, a good used Husky for fairly cheap might be in the running.

Oh, forgot to comment on this.

How old is the 350? While I'm leaning toward a Stihl, a good used Husky for fairly cheap might be in the running.

Husky 350 is a very good saw. And good for you to learn how to turn a wrench on as well, so in the future the Dealer support isn't an issue, except to buy parts.

Husky 350 is a very good saw. And good for you to learn how to turn a wrench on as well, so in the future the Dealer support isn't an issue, except to buy parts.

You can always order Husky parts through Bailey's if you can't pick them up locally or if your dealer is trying to bend you over the counter.

I'm thinking something with a 16" bar would probably be fine, but it would be nice to be able to step up to a 18" bar if needed, so I think I want a saw overpowered for a 16" bar.

Thoughts?

This has Dolmar PS5100 written all over it. Just come up with another 100 clams and you'll be in chainsaw heaven.

If you want to stick with Stihl listen to Lake and get a used 026 or MS260. They're far superior to 210/230/250.

Last edited:
Husky 350 is the best bang for the buck 50cc saw. More pleasant to run than a MS260.

Got more money to spend ? 346XP NE, no need to say more...

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm leaning toward this idea. I searched for the 026's and seems to be a good bunch that you can have for reasonable. The 026 is equivalent o the new 260...so it's in the right range.

If not a 026, I'll probably go with a 230 or 250. They should do the job for me.

I saw way too many comments about 'get one with a good dealer support' in your area to ignore that. We have a local Stihl dealer. Husky only has Lowes and Rural King...so no support there to speak of. Stihl dealer could probably work on it in a pinch I guess.

If you are relatively handy and are on a budget then you might try to refurb or refresh a used pro saw, be it Husky or Stihl. I have about $160.00 in this 026 and it is great runner.

2730924506_9e87b4d727_b.jpg

+1 on a used 026/260. All of the saws mentioned have their +'s but you can't go wrong with the Stihl, long proven track record that keeps selling.:clap:

Get the Stihl Farm Boss. You can get it with a case for about $350. I have mine for 10 years without any problem. Now I have 361 and 440 as well. Here's a pic of the gang.

Mow: If you would for once try a Husky you would know better ;)
Your whole weekly agenda would have to be completely revised if you would run a Husky . I bet you reserve 2hours / day for air filter cleaning now?

Thanks for the opinions...keep them coming.

I assume the above is a joke, right? I know that Poulan and Husky are made by the same people. I was 'hoping', possibly naively that the Husqvarna is still made to Husqvarna specs and not a cheap made over Wild Thing with a higher price?

Usually not the "same people", but Husky owns the Poulan factory.

The Husky saws you mentioned are made in Sweden, the Poulan in the US.

I believe the Husky 350 is the "right" saw for you - not that much more money than the 345.

Can't argue with that......

Mow: If you would for once try a Husky you would know better ;)
Your whole weekly agenda would have to be completely revised if you would run a Husky . I bet you reserve 2hours / day for air filter cleaning now?

I just got a 2171 as a project, so far my impressions are not too good, but time will tell. I have high expectations being a Stihl man:D

btw the air filter is dirty...........:jawdrop:

Back