Stihl quality = bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just blitzed the rest of your rep mate, you don't come on here b*tching about a broken saw and then start laying into guys because they aren't feeling sorry for you.

If you actually do have something better to do I suggest you go and do it

I just blitzed the rest of your rep mate, you don't come on here b*tching about a broken saw and then start laying into guys because they aren't feeling sorry for you.

So what? Feel big for it? Blitz away.
I think you'll find the troll comment was unnecessary so I stood my ground. I didn't come here for sympathy I came here to show my disgust in a product with a good name.

So what? Feel big for it? Blitz away.
I think you'll find the troll comment was unnecessary so I stood my ground. I didn't come here for sympathy I came here to show my disgust in a product with a good name.

Okay I'll bite....
First off what did you expect for a homeowner saw.

Second every brand be it, stihl husky ford doge chevy IH John deere, etc. has had a bad product every now and then becuae the QC Inspector fell asleep. You don't judge an entire brand becuase of one fluke

Okay I'll bite....
First off what did you expect for a homeowner saw.

Second every brand be it, stihl husky ford doge chevy IH John deere, etc. has had a bad product every now and then becuae the QC Inspector fell asleep. You don't judge an entire brand becuase of one fluke

True "but" the micro XXV $150 was sold as a one season saw... 30 years later. $800 is hardly that cheap. Don't get me wrong I love STIHL as a brand that's why I chose it in the first place just...come on 20 mins... I don't even know if it was 20 mins... It is meant to cut wood isn't it? Or is it a $800 bread knife?

You are right though there is the one that gets made with a defect or over tightened from the machine which manufactures it, you also wouldn't pick up the defect on the QC bench. I guess I got the short straw here.
It is a poor design in regards with the stud retention. No question.

Last edited:
Well where to start... After all the research I had done for a new saw and then finally getting it MS 211 :msp_smile:
Then getting all the oils/fuel/etc bang on. I get half way through the VERY first tank to have the saw broken to my disbelief...
Every thing is brand spanker's I knew I would need to adjust the chain not to long into the first tank, I was right.... this is where the fun started....:taped:

I adjusted it all up nicely now to lock the bar nut up ...and hmmmmm ok it's not locking up.... I mean I was thinking? Is this some new stihl locking stud that you cant over lock...No no its just stripped cause its threaded into plastic...what? A steel stud threaded into plastic.... to hold a chainsaw bar on? Ahhhhhhhhhh RAGE!!!!! :bang:

"Just for everyone whose going to think ahhhh he's just over tightened it....NO WAY! I was babying this thing! Trust me I'm the one who's always knocking me old man for hogging on bolts/nuts way to much....not me...in fact I've never stripped a thread, if any thing I'm to light handed".

My old poulan micro xxv which cost $150 was WAAAAAAAAYYYYY better quality. Magnesuim case..... "Sigh" I wish I brought the MS 241 but then again this really shouldn't be happening regardless....I mean hell I shouldn't be posting this right now it's a F**King STIHL!!!
My old man was laughing that his Chinese piece of crap is still golden after many yearssssssssss...yet what 20mins and mines a piece of turd...... TOTAL DISBELIEF...still cant believe it.... :angry:

What a crap design... BUYERS BEWARE

Same thing happened on my echo cs-310, but amazingly it was the stud that stripped not the plastic. Oh well just shell out 1600 next time and you will be fine. Maybe you can epoxy it. Or just return it why so upset just fix problem.

I believe I just put him in the negative with my bad rep lol.

There are alot of people on here that would be more than happy to help you. There is no reason to come on here and talk to people like that. You might as well just not sign back on here cause your not gonna get any kind of help now. Have a good day and hope your life gets brighter.:laugh:

There are alot of people on here that would be more than happy to help you. There is no reason to come on here and talk to people like that. You might as well just not sign back on here cause your not gonna get any kind of help now. Have a good day and hope your life gets brighter.:laugh:

I never asked for help to begin with.. I was merely voicing my disgust in a fault. I dear say others will read this and be a lot more aware of this "Silly" design fault. So yes it does make my day brighter knowing that :D

I never asked for help to begin with.. I was merely voicing my disgust in a fault. I dear say others will read this and be a lot more aware of this "Silly" design fault. So yes it does make my day brighter knowing that :D
Bud Ireally dont think you understand how many 211's are out there without any problems. If I was you Id bring yours back to the dealer and demand a new one. I think youll find you just got a bad one but whatever.

Bud Ireally dont think you understand how many 211's are out there without any problems. If I was you Id bring yours back to the dealer and demand a new one. I think youll find you just got a bad one but whatever.

I actually had pretty much the same issue with my 211 the day I bought it. I tried to remove the bar nut, and the bar stud came with it. No big deal I separated the two and put some Loctite on the stud and it hasn't given me any issues since, and I do like the saw for what it is. With that said, yes Stihl over charges for these cheaply made saws that aren't that much better than a $100 Poulan, stamped rod and all.

:popcorn:

True and I will be.
How long will it last even with it repaired??
What I am saying is not only the 211, the 231, 251 all have this potential to strip the threads. You can imagine the disappointment as I was very happy with it till this. I wouldn't get the 231 or 251. Steel bolts threading into plastic has a limited time span on every occasion. They might as well put plastic nuts on it to boot :laugh:

True and I will be.
What I am saying is not only the 211, the 231, 251 all have this potential to strip the threads. You can imagine the disappointment as I was very happy with it till this. I wouldn't get the 231 or 251. Steel bolts threading into plastic has a limited time span on every occasion. They might as well put plastic nuts on it to boot :laugh:
I understand your aggrivation. They may install a oversized bar stud, if it was me Id demand a new saw. Just dont call senior members here retarded cause they are anything but retarded. Thanks.

I wouldn't blame "design fault" there's plenty of saws around with that design, it's either a manufacturing defect or abuse.
With a little more research the OP could have bought a new Dolmar vertical split mag case with removable cylinder saw, for less money.
Take the saw back to the dealer and let us know what the outcome is.

True and I will be.

Just to let you know most new pro saws have fasteners threaded into plastic. I've even had metal inserts made to fix the issues, this was on an old 084, I've had issues with other makes as well. IMHO they should all have metal inserts molded into the plastic.

Latest posts

Back