Stihl quality = bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a little off subject, but i hear people from nz and aus dislike each other? are you guys conflicted?

Haha not at all! Have you not heard of the anzacs? I have alot of aussie mates. We like to give each other a rev with sports etc, but there a damn good bunch :msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
Haha not at all! Have you not heard of the anzacs? I have alot of aussie mates. We like to give each other a rev with sports etc, but there a damn good bunch :msp_biggrin:

They like us so much they even tried including our olympic medals in their tally last week :msp_biggrin:.

But yea they're a solid bunch, most of what you hear is probably nothing more than banter.

Seems like either place would be a good place to live, except your governments taking gun rights. just hoping we cant keep ours here.

Flatie sorry to here about your saw if that happend to me I would have been hot too. But the homeowner Stihls are decent saws and when Stihl fixes your saw I'm sure it will last a good ling time. :msp_smile:

Seems like either place would be a good place to live, except your governments taking gun rights. just hoping we cant keep ours here.

Our gun laws are fine, not nearly as restrictive as Aussie but at the same time theres enough checks and balances that your average head case will never hold a firearms license

Our gun laws are fine, not nearly as restrictive as Aussie but at the same time theres enough checks and balances that your average head case will never hold a firearms license

i guess its an american thing, you just wouldnt understand :msp_biggrin:

i guess its an american thing, you just wouldnt understand :msp_biggrin:

Its well known you love your weapons :msp_biggrin:

Speaking of which the trap shooting at the olympics was good to watch! Love a good shottie :wink2:

I'm aware of the american views on gun ownership, theres some ridiculous arguments both for and against. Thats a discussion for another place though I think

I will go against my better judgement and agree. But there are no bad arguments for gun ownership :msp_biggrin:

Ignoring the unfortunate name calling and brand fan-boy passions, IMO the bar studs screwed into plastic is a major design fault. I would never have one simply for that reason. I know they all use some screws threaded directly into the plastic, but let's be serious - these are bar studs. Cheap plastic Poulans have bolts through the plastic for the bar studs. I suspect Stihl has trouble with profit margin on the lower end stuff and has to cut costs more - threading the studs in from the outside is going to be cheaper and faster in production than fishing them in through the oil tank.

Personally, I was going to recommend you look at the Talon stuff, but it looks like the web site is no longer active. Some of those are old McCulloch designs like my SE2012s, some are RedMax based - bar studs right into magnesium on both.

Finally, this is a known problem for them and I've read they have an oversize stud kit to fix it - It'll probably be fine once that repair is made.

Ignoring the unfortunate name calling and brand fan-boy passions, IMO the bar studs screwed into plastic is a major design fault. I would never have one simply for that reason. I know they all use some screws threaded directly into the plastic, but let's be serious - these are bar studs. Cheap plastic Poulans have bolts through the plastic for the bar studs. I suspect Stihl has trouble with profit margin on the lower end stuff and has to cut costs more - threading the studs in from the outside is going to be cheaper and faster in production than fishing them in through the oil tank.

Personally, I was going to recommend you look at the Talon stuff, but it looks like the web site is no longer active. Some of those are old McCulloch designs like my SE2012s, some are RedMax based - bar studs right into magnesium on both.

Finally, this is a known problem for them and I've read they have an oversize stud kit to fix it - It'll probably be fine once that repair is made.

I think stihl makes an amazing profit on cheap homeowner saws. probably more so then pro saws.

I think stihl makes an amazing profit on cheap homeowner saws. probably more so then pro saws.

You're probably right there, if they're cheaper to build and aren't designed to last as long as pro saws there must be a better margin in there somewhere

Almost everything made today is corner cutter technology. And if a fella doesn't have any marmack,duck tape, and some good old fashioned JB-weld, he might be lookin at a little downtime every now and again. What's the saying if it ain't one thing it's another. It never ends.

I hate to say it, but cost is usually not that strongly related to price. I don't think it costs them much more to make a pro saw than a plastic homeowner saw. The labor costs for the mag parts are probably more, but then again most of those operations are automated.

A good example is displacement - why does a larger displacement version of a basic design cost more than a smaller one? Do you think the parts and assembly costs are any different? Of course not, but you will pay more for it.

If you include all Husqvarna's brands I assume their volume is much higher than Stihl - perhpas I'm wrong on that - but certainly at the low end they move a lot more low margin saws. It's probably not easy for Stihl to compete there, but they have to have an offering in that segment.

Last edited:
Har har har,

thou shall not take the Stihl name in vain,

nor call out the golden boy, two rules that are cardinal around here.

I shall return a smidge of your rep.

Good on you for not being part of the flock call 'em like you see 'em.

Latest posts

Back