Stihl quality = bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modifiedmark
Har har har,

thou shall not take the Stihl name in vain,

nor call out the golden boy, two rules that are cardinal around here.

I shall return a smidge of your rep.

Good on you for not being part of the flock call 'em like you see 'em.

I restored some rep to.

OP should not have been called a troll, bad manners shown for commiting the sin of telling the tale of his Stihl?

I thought we were past that crap around here.

Whitespider
You're probably right there, if they're cheaper to build and aren't designed to last as long as pro saws there must be a better margin in there somewhere

Got’ta remember they’re made for, and marketed to homeowners… basically “entry-level” people. Yeah, there’s gonna’ be a margin built in, Stihl needs to make a profit to stay in business… but margins are set with the overall cost to the company in mind, not just the cost of building the product. Homeowners do stupid things with power equipment, and Stihl needs to allow for the cost of providing a two or three year warranty (parts, labor, replacement, good-will adjustments, and whatnot)… yet they still need to keep the price relatively competitive.

For a company like Stihl, that builds “entry-level” chainsaws, it’s a fine balancing act. First they have to build a tool priced to attract the average homeowner. Next they need to allow enough margin to cover warranty costs and still show a profit at the end of the day. In order to adjust the margin without increasing prices, the only option is to build cheaper… which in turn will likely increase warranty costs.

Lots of people love warranties; they even go so far as to brag about what a great one they got… 4-year this, and 6-year that, etc. But really, all warranties do is spread the cost of repairs (for the length of the warranty period) out amongst everyone who buys the product (or product line). We pay for those warranties, it’s figured into the price of the product… which means you get to pay for the stupid things that other people do. Personally, I’d rather see a 60 or 90-day warranty on things like chainsaws, and pay a whole lot less upfront… for a guy like me (and I suspect most of us) it would be a lot cheaper in the grand scheme.

cbfarmall

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I just started to read this thread and it got ridiculous, fast. The OP had a legitimate gripe and it turned into 4th grade playground fight, complete with neg repping by a bunch of bozos--as if that is actually meaningful. Maybe some of his wording was strong, but I've been known to verbally fly off the handle at work when somebody is attacking me with nonsense.

Since when did this forum turn into a good ol' Stihl boys club?

Chris B.

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
This has nothing to do with criticizing a Stihl saw.

It has to do with manners, respect, and etiquette. It also has nothing to do with a senior vs junior member. I'd have flipped the switch no matter who he wrote his insults to.

TonyRumore

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Most likely, the thread was pulled during initial assembly or at the dealer when they installed the bar on the power head. You don't have to pull the thread entirely out, to screw it up. Even a slight pull, will result in a subsequent failure.

Tony

BarkBuster20

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sure he came off strong, but did you guys have to act like bullys on a playground trying to assert your dominance? When you see someone else running there saw do you wait till there not looking and pee on there chain? give me a break.

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
lol it was getting embarresing all the E-high fives about neg repping, "i got em in the red now!" lol was getting very pathetic.

true, but the rep system is designed to reflect reputation earned. In this case it worked. He earned it. His reputation is shot with me after writing that to someone. I post when I give negative rep (which is extremely rare) so that everyone knows where it's coming from. No secret backstabbing.

I like this place. I don't take kindly to someone taking a crap on someone.

BarkBuster20

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
i agree, lol, i had to give a lil neg rep in this thread, which i do not do often but it just had to be done. Not that rep really means anything, i could care less if i had any.

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sure he came off strong, but did you guys have to act like bullys on a playground trying to assert your dominance? When you see someone else running there saw do you wait till there not looking and pee on there chain? give me a break.

I have family members with Down's Syndrome.

How many of you are of an ethnic or social minority? Which racial slurs would be ok with you? Send me the list and I'll start flinging them around.

Anything goes is not my idea of a friendly forum.

BarkBuster20

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have family members with Down's Syndrome.

How many of you are of an ethnic or social minority? Which racial slurs would be ok with you? Send me the list and I'll start flinging them around.

Anything goes is not my idea of a friendly forum.

not sure exactly what your meaning is here, do you mind elaborating?

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
i agree, lol, i had to give a lil neg rep in this thread, which i do not do often but it just had to be done. Not that rep really means anything, i could care less if i had any.

the only time it means anything is with a new member that has very little when gaining or losing it is actually reflected. And that is when it should be used as well. Walk into a new place and start flinging crap is not the way to make friends and influence people let alone get actual help with an issue.

\But this guy has now received so many 'atta boys!' for his language that he will be on track to do it whenever he feels like it now. You guys praised him for being a jerk. Way to go fellas!

Whitespider
Zombiechopper,

I didn't rep anyone in this thread, positive or negative.
And I didn't defend or attack anyone's position over the use of silly words either.
But trying to compare this meaningless drivel to racial/social discrimination/slurs near earned you the first negative rep I've ever clicked on... not that it would mean anything.

Addendum; Awww... Heck... who gives a crap anyway.

Last edited:
BarkBuster20

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
the only time it means anything is with a new member that has very little when gaining or losing it is actually reflected. And that is when it should be used as well. Walk into a new place and start flinging crap is not the way to make friends and influence people let alone get actual help with an issue.

\But this guy has now received so many 'atta boys!' for his language that he will be on track to do it whenever he feels like it now. You guys praised him for being a jerk. Way to go fellas!

Lol, i never gave him any rep, neg or good. i think he got rep for this because everyone else over reacted, he WAS called a troll, he really didnt insult anyone untill he was insulted, and he never really did take it too far IMO. Did i feel the need to give him an "atta boy"?
No, but i was dissapointed in other members reactions.

BarkBuster20

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah what the hell are you bringing down sydrome into this for? thats rediculous.

And FYI i asked what the meaning of what you were saying, i am fully aware of what downs is. I am not aware of why you brought it up. Nobdy was racist, or slammin on downs autism fetal alcohol etc. so wtf is this?

Last edited: