Stihl Quick Chain adjust question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburlingham

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I will be meeting with a guy this weekend who has offered me a slightly used MS 280 in excellent condition for less then half of its MSRP. the saw is about 1 year old, and barely used. If it was a straight up 280 I would have said yes already, however I have been told that it is a model with the "C-BQ" Quick chain adjuster.
I am not familiar with this, but based on the fact that I have seen a similar device on Homelites at Home Depot, it seems that maybe it isn't a good idea.

Question is, is this device reliable, or is it possible to put a standard chain guard and adjuster in its place? Im looking for info so I can make an informed decision, Stihl's website (as I expected) seems to just advertise it as an option.

It goes against the grain of the saw pros on here but I bought a quick adjust210 for my youngest son 4-5? years ago and it has worked perfectly through two bars and untold chains, no problems, no issues. I can see where an idiot could break it, but what cant they break? You can change it back to the regular adjuster if you wish.

I`ve got one on my 026c. I had reservations, but it was a good deal so i had it. In use it hasnt been a problem, and works well.The cover is plastic, which i dont like much, but that is just my opinion, its not failed in any way.
Cleaning is a bit more fiddly. Its handy not having to worry about where my scrench is and realising i put it down somewhere.

How much of a pain is it, when its time to take the cover off, for cleaning, changing bars, and checking sprockets?

Its got a toothed wheel which attaches to the bar, which if you want to change bars will need to be removed. It all comes apart but its just more work than a standard set up.
I`ll sort some pics.

Right, here ya go. Saw was used this morning so i hadnt cleaned it yet but you see the outer case, then whats inside showing the wheel. The parts in the clutch cover come apart easy enough with a flat head screwdriver.
All the component parts spread out.

I wouldnt be put off a saw with this system. Its got more good than bad.

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

I've had a 280 with the quick adjust chain tensioner for 3 years and like it very much. I've had zero problems with the chain tensioner and like the convenience. The 280 is a very smooth saw.

I have a 180 with that and I got rid of it because the PO used this thing like a ditcher so it got gritty and was difficult to adjust. The conversion only needed the right cover and bar adjuster and the bar stud all of which I found for less than 30 bucks on ebay. If the one your looking at is in good shape i see no reason it wont work perfectly well

Back