Stihl recalls flippy caps!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright I will personally offer to recall all flippy caps for chainsaws... but you won't be getting any form of replacement/reimbursement
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I am no flippy cap lover for sure. I have to admit I got kind of excited to hear the news....BUT

Stihl is only admitting that there is a problem due to ethanol fuels, not a design problem.

So we wait...............

In the meantime I just switched to other brands and ya know what, I'm kinda liken the other brands better than the Stihl, so I ain't sorry!!

i think i am the only person who loves the flippy caps? i got rid of my 036 and replaced it with a 390 just so i could have the flippy capps(although the 390 got sold to buy a ported 440 from tlandrum, things a screamer!) :D

No problems here either....I guess you just have to be smarter than the tool you are running.:msp_rolleyes:

Just kidding. I did have a customer that had a problem...he just wrapped teflon tape around it and still couldnt figure out what was wrong...:dizzy:

Got all excited, thought there was a chance to go back to the screw style... :(

Was waiting to read:

"Due to an over-whelming number of men beating the snot out of their wives after dumping multiple tanks of chain oil on the ground; we are eliminating the use of the 'flippy cap'. "

Last edited:
Not trying to bash anyone, But all my saws run flippy caps (accept the one husky and craftsman I own) and I've rarely have leakage, or spillage. The few times I have I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing, or I get distracted.

I mean seriously, The chances of spilling out of those flippy caps if your paying attention and not being careless (Which you should NEVER do around any type of chainsaw) are so slim, It would be a leak or faulty cap for there to be spillage,

I don't know, Just my look on things

(I do hate the little buggers though, I just prefer not using energy on b****in' about the caps, I use that energy to put them on and put them on right
Now if they went back to normal caps, everything would be awesome)

Good luck, see 'yall out in the sticks.

I have trouble all the time with them on an fs 90r trimmer. Junk!

I would love to spill an oil tank on the lawn of the Stihl Waiblingen plant , ignite it, and say opppppps .....the flippy cap came loose for no reason....Sorry.:hmm3grin2orange:

And you get a brand new flippy cap!!!

I also have no problems with them. As for oiling my pants, I would guess that happens just about as often as it did in the old screw cap days...and for the same reason, forgetting to put the cap on.

Harry K

Back