Stihl recalls flippy caps!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awright.......as an 'all-orange' in the modern-saw-category guy.....perhaps someone can post a photo of the notorious 'flippy cap'....so the rest of us know what all the commotion is about......:msp_ohmy:

the dreeded flippy cap is an evil little invention that when installed correctly will never fall out while the tool is in use ......but if you aint payin attn and the lockinring gets outa sync with the tangs in the tank ,can be a lesson in frustration and commonly results in you gettin slimed with gas or bar lube ,just what you want late in a arse bustin day death to flippy caps lol jk

the dreeded flippy cap is an evil little invention that when installed correctly will never fall out while the tool is in use ......but if you aint payin attn and the lockinring gets outa sync with the tangs in the tank ,can be a lesson in frustration and commonly results in you gettin slimed with gas or bar lube ,just what you want late in a arse bustin day death to flippy caps lol jk

I disagree. I was packing Twinkle up a hill, through the brush, and the flippy cap handle got flipped up by the brush. I saw it before I continued on up the hill.

Hah! I knew something was not right with the cap on my weedwhacker. It has been a real pain to get back on. I'll call the guys before the next trip to town.

I disagree. I was packing Twinkle up a hill, through the brush, and the flippy cap handle got flipped up by the brush. I saw it before I continued on up the hill.
you musta been goin through some pretty mean stuff,and if it was flipped up, it takes quite a bit of force to turn it CCW.

Flippy caps blow. They leak. They break. They're a pain in the arse to install and remove if you're putting any real hours on them. Prime example of overthinking the task at hand, if ya want my opinion. I'm REALLY baffled that they aren't recalling the caps for saws, too. Given the premium price we pay for these saws, I find it unacceptable that I hafta lay out $32 a year per saw to replace crummy caps that are prone to fail at the most inconvenient time.

://sudo end rant

The trouble with these caps (besides the whole leaking-breaking-difficult to install thing) is that the saw case is committed to these things' there are no threads so if flippy caps are deemed crap and must go, what are you gonna replace them with? A 'more Better' flippy cap??!!

I think I have the solution

cork2.jpg

:laugh:

Jimbo

I am not all that crazy about them, but over all, the only real problem has been with the oil tank on my 260. It has caused some spilled oil occasionally, but I found out the main problem was that saw dust on the tight side of the threads was preventing total closure. I think that I like the screw-on caps on my little 180 better, though.

Flippy caps blow. They leak. They break. They're a pain in the arse to install and remove if you're putting any real hours on them. Prime example of overthinking the task at hand, if ya want my opinion. I'm REALLY baffled that they aren't recalling the caps for saws, too. Given the premium price we pay for these saws, I find it unacceptable that I hafta lay out $32 a year per saw to replace crummy caps that are prone to fail at the most inconvenient time.

://sudo end rant

There's just one 200T in our fleet that has a bad flippy cap...notorious for popping out after the saw has been sent back up to the climber...I have replaced the cap, and no difference. It seems like the casting of the saw case may have something to do with it...To this day I have as much trouble getting that bugger on right as the groundies do...:msp_mad:

I have 2 stihls one screw and the other flippy, I like the flips better.

And you WILL love then right up until the moment the flip top breaks off in your hand for no apparent reason and the rest of the cap falls out, probably spilling a tank of oil or mix. That's when you will cease loving them. Or maybe you'll get lucky and that will never happen to you.

Jimbo

What would you all say if I said I was developing a Cap that was like the original caps but fitted onto flippys tanks ?

During the recent storm cleanup in Alabama I borrowed my neighbors MS362 as an extra/backup saw. I absolutely hated the flippy caps. I had just filled it up and started back in the woods when the premix cap popped out. It filled my pocket with premix. Needless to say I was not happy. I think it got flipped out by brushing against my pants as the lever part was flipped up and I had flipped it down when I filled it. I even double checked it because I wasn't used to them. Not that I'm after another saw right now but I would refuse to buy a new Stihl unless I could get one without those caps. In my opinion Stihl tried to fix something that wasn't broken and has created a problem in process. Other than that it was a very nice saw to run.

What would you all say if I said I was developing a Cap that was like the original caps but fitted onto flippys tanks ?

I'd say you kicked the german's asses already in the past, why not this time...LOL. :taped: I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Seriously, I know it's silly to keep hammering on this cap topic, but I've never hated a feature more on my tools as this one. They have let me down every time I used them Stihl's for more than a few tanks; wheather it be the 200 or the 361.

I don't understand why so many people have problems with them. I've used them for quite awhile now and never had one leak or not work correctly. I do keep them clean, and make sure I wipe them off each time I take them off.. but

I've never had any probems with any caps before. Learm how to use them before you diss them is what I say. :D

Same thing with people overtightening screw-in caps with screwdrivers and wondering why they can't get them off. If you don't know how to pop a flippy cap in, there's a video somewhere on here for you to watch.

It seems like some hate them and some love them, but it's like anything else. They are either abused or just go bad. There's good and bad caps just as with anything else. But the whole "if you have enough hours on them they mess up" thing is BS. I have 40-50 tanks through my 361 now and the caps are working as good as new. I probably have 30 tanks on my 660 and I can still remove and install the screw-in caps by hand. Hmm....

That said, I do like the simplicity of the screw in caps better. Especially if they hav'ent been tightened with vise-grips. :)

Back