Stihl recalls flippy caps!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have had a problem with one and its on my FS310 brush cutter,,, The ethanol fuel, :taped: GRRRRRRRR:msp_mad::angry2::bang::bang::angry: has caused the cap to swell and it is a PITA to get back on,,, GRRRRR

It didnt make it on the list as it is a commercial machine but they are gonna replace it!!!! Somehow!!!!! never had any problems with the ones on the saws though???? Go figure???

Last edited:
Just got the replacement caps for my FS90 and BR600. The tech explained that the new cap must be lined up correctly to work. If it's engaged 180 degrees out of phase, it will break.

Love this thread Ahahahahah. Ethanol my A$$ flip caps are one of the dumbest needless inventions Sthil has ever made, it's all about making parts proprietary, not solving an issue.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q4hIVaXlaw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those that hate the toolless caps, I think they're going to change it back to the traditional styles. They've already replaced the caps on trimmers and hedge trimmers.

I had the bar oil cap come off after filling it but I was in a hurry and assumed I had installed the cap properly. Man Husky xp bar oil is sticky in cold weather. Now I pay attention to what I am doing and make sure I tighten them properly and have not had the same occurrence. I like them as much as I like the regular caps on my 066.

Howdy,
This one seems to work fine.
Regards
Gregg
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lYMslMHG0k?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lYMslMHG0k?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HOW about trying one of the marine/boating rubber plugs, with a cam-action center stem and top handle that expands the plug as it is folded-down 90-degrees to the flat/locked position??

I used one in place of the plug on my vintage Ariens snowblower gear case....

If anyone knows of what I speak, and has one loose and hand to photograph, perhaps you can post a pic. {Just an 'orange' user here, tryin' to help you poor gents out.....;) }

I was at my dealer today and was told they just got in 100 caps for the recall. They told me they would replace any flippy cap that wasn't stamped with an "E" on the underside, including chainsaws.

Not too surprising, a poor design followed by customer complaints, followed by recalls. Then what? layoffs? plant closures?
Too bad no chainsaws made the list. At least one good thing will come out of all this, the flippy cap designer will get his azz chewed.:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Howdy,
We've been testing those caps for awhile. We're waiting for i's to get dotted and the t's to get crossed on the patent before we sell any.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
We've been testing those caps for awhile. We're waiting for i's to get dotted and the t's to get crossed on the patent before we sell any.
Regards
Gregg

If they work as good as they look, you will sell many! I would assume that the oil caps will also be available?

The flippy caps on my MS290 work great. The fuel cap on my MS260 sucks. Very hard to get it to fit correctly. Very hard. Ridiculously hard to turn far enough to get the cap to "engage".

How timely! I just got my leg covered in premix yesterday from the KM130R I was running. The cap has always been a pain to install. It comes off easy, but a pain to get back on.

I've never had any probems with any caps before. Learm how to use them before you diss them is what I say. :D

Same thing with people overtightening screw-in caps with screwdrivers and wondering why they can't get them off. If you don't know how to pop a flippy cap in, there's a video somewhere on here for you to watch.

It seems like some hate them and some love them, but it's like anything else. They are either abused or just go bad. There's good and bad caps just as with anything else. But the whole "if you have enough hours on them they mess up" thing is BS. I have 40-50 tanks through my 361 now and the caps are working as good as new. I probably have 30 tanks on my 660 and I can still remove and install the screw-in caps by hand. Hmm....

That said, I do like the simplicity of the screw in caps better. Especially if they hav'ent been tightened with vise-grips. :)

Much the same as my opinion. I have 3 saws with them Ms 210/310/361. 310 was bought back in the early days of production, has hundreds of hours on it and still has the original cap, just as do the other two.

The only time I have had a failure with any of them is not installed correctly - that happened a couple times.

As for the 'toolless' cap, I just don't get why people use tools on screw in caps. I have had several new, several old saws with them and have never had one loosen up on me. IMO using a tool to tighten them is abuse of equipment.

Harry K

Back