stihl replacement bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Where ar you guys buying your after market stihl replacemnt bars. The dealers in my area only want to sell the stihl brand bars. It wasnt until this site, that I had seen a stihl saw without a stihl bar on it.

Mailorder

Hi ac45,there are quite a few good places besides the craps shoot that eBay is for an aftermarket bar.For example you could try [email protected] for GB bars or Commercial Cutters, Madsen`s or Bailey`s for Oregon and other brands. Russ

Re: Mailorder

Originally posted by jokers
Hi ac45,there are quite a few good places besides the craps shoot that eBay is for an aftermarket bar.For example you could try [email protected] for GB bars or Commercial Cutters, Madsen`s or Bailey`s for Oregon and other brands. Russ
I just wanted to add my vote for Jeff Sikkema at snssawshop.com. I was looking for a 14" bar for my Husky and wrote Jeff. He found that the GB ProTop (what I wanted) was only available in 3/8 pitch in 14". He replaced the sprocket tip to .325 for free (busting his breaker in the process). Also milled out the adjustment pin holes to fit the newer Husky mount. Also for free. The price was great as well. Try finding service like this elsewhere.

Never bought anything but Stihl or Oregon bars for my saws. I like the Stihl bars better, they don't wear out as fast. Can't get anything but an Oregon for my Echo 340 so I'm using the Pro91 series. They hold up better than the stock bar.

Every saw shop in town carries Oregon bars.

I didnt know if stihl had rights to there hole pattern or what. I guess that every one tha that I know just bought there bars from stihl. Thedealers are probably told to push the factory bars. My husqvarna dealer puts oregon bars on everything instead of the husky bars. Are the husky bars made by Oregon?

I run oregon, and GB, had good success with both of those brands. Out of the box, I think Stihl bars leave alot to be desired...

Any saw/mower shop is an Oregon Dealer. Oregon bought Silverstreak, so any mower shop has access to Oregon as a
Dealer. We are all good to deal with, unless you bring attention
to our flaws, so do not ask about our pets, and habits

Some Stihl bars are made by Oregon, too. The Stihl dealers line is usually something about the oiling system, that you will use twice as much oil with other manufacturer's bars. They still work fine though.

I don't think stihl had oregon make them bars, stihl doesn't have bars that good.

Could be wrong, i think i was once before.

woodbeard,

When I visit http://www.oregonchain.com/company/world.htm and follow the links there, I see that there are only manufacturing facilities in USA, Canada, and Brazil.  I'm not saying there aren't others, but they aren't telling me about them.  Germany, France, Belgium, Sweden, and UK are all merely distribution centers, according to the descriptive language used.  I highly doubt that Stihl has a competitor make stuff for them.  I can't say whether one brand is better than the other between the two, I've had good experiences with both.

Maybe you merely meant that Oregon also makes bars for the Stihl mount?

Glen

I get bars stamp marked Sandvik and Windsor. I believe they are both owned by Oregon.

There are also Tsumara bars which either come from Taiwan or Japan.

At any rate, its hard to tell who makes what anymore. As far as I know no saw companies make their own bars unless it is Efco(Emak) in Italy.

I don't want to insult anyones intelligence on this subject, but for those who don't understand; tail patterns are independent from bar brands and even saw makes, just as tire sizes are independent from the brand. Most bar makers make all the common patterns. Some patterns fit multiple brands, such as; Husky, Jonsered, Efco, and Solo use a common tail pattern.

Glens, JimL, The bars I am referring to are Stihl Rollomatic solid bar w/ replacable tip, labelled Stihl, made in Canada. I just saw them the other day at a Stihl dealer. He is also an Oregon dealer and told me that Oregon told him Stihl is farming out some of their bar production to them because they can't keep up with current demand. Stihl of course wouldn't comment. I imagine Stihl has their people making sure these bars are up to Stihl specs. BTW, Oregon (Blount) makes bars in Canada. Blount owns Windsor which is also Sandvik, but they still produce bars in Milan, Tennessee. I have a Carlton Pro champ which is real good, it is made in Australia by GB.

Sandvik owned Windsor, but sold it to Blount. Blount is oregons parent company. Sandvik no longer sells chainsaw bars in the us per agreement with Blount. I believe they still sell harvester bars.
Stihls make there RSN bars in house, but subs there laminated bars out to Oregon. Cannon uses Oregon RSN's but builds the rest of the bar themselves.

This is purely speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if Stihl set up some bar manufacturing somewhere in North America to save on import expenses.  If Oregon says that Stihl is having them make some of their bars and Stihl isn't denying it, it's possibly got some merit.  All my Stihl sprocket-nose bars, ES and E clearly say "Made in Germany", but even the newest of them could have been in the supply pipeline for a while.

Glen

Latest posts

Back