Stihl saw chain RS & RSK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and RSK doesn't have a low-vibe chassis, like the RSC and current breed of RS has.

Some have said RSK cuts a wider kerf as well in the past, but I am not really sure of that?

I never paid attention to the kerf width. It may or may not.

Square filing is a whole new world of sharpening.

Square filing is a whole new world of sharpening.

very true...your video and advice was extremely helpful to me when I was learning and I'm still a complete novice ...Trx250r180 also has a lot of good advice and pictures throughout here and other places that were very helpful as well

Hmm wander why Stihl told me no more RSLK? The roll I ordered was 3679 005 1640 thats 3/8 .050 Maybe a regional thing? ......

in my area that part number you posted shows as no good so I would say it has gotta be regional as you said...I do show a 3679 005 0410 as available but backordered and it is a 25ft reel of 33rsl, which would be the comfort non klassic that raganr showed up there somewhere...but I also show that reels and loops of 33rslk are backordered as well....I may just order myself a couple loops to see what I get.

Last edited:
another tip on sharpening square ,the direction of the file stroke is opposite of round ,you have to sharpen from the outside of the cutter in ,so your corners line up ,the rh cutters are a breeze for me ,when i get to the lh ones ,i am not left handed so i have to throw the saw in a vise to hold it so i can get a good angle that matches the right ,also tighten your chain real tight when sharpening ,keeps the cutters straiter,was kind of hard to file and film at same time but this gives a general idea how i square file ,i normally hold the bar with my lh hand ,and the file bites a little harder

here is a sample vid of stihl full skip square ,ground off my silvey with some angles i use ,a little sharper than off the roll is ,,log measured 22 inches across ,that's a 32 inch bar on one of my 440/460 hybrid's ,notice the log is just sitting on the firewood blocks for support ,not tied down ,the chain is not real grabby,and i am not pushing hard ,the weight of the saw is doing the cut ,wood is hemlock ,i would say it's not as hard as doug fir ,but harder than cedar ,maybe similar to a pine ?,notice the full skip ejects the chips nice in the softwood ,they pile up on the ground pretty fast ,my semi skip is similar in cutting ,but better at starting a bore cut and limbing than the full skip

Nice videos Trx. What model of silvey do you have? Any recommendation for a current production square grinder?

Nice videos Trx. What model of silvey do you have? Any recommendation for a current production square grinder?

Mine is a razur 2 ,if you watch ebay or even the classifieds here they seem to be the most popular square grinder so they pop up for sale once in a while ,as for current production ,i don't really know ,i have not ever used the others ,i think Mastermind has a simington,his chains seem to come out pretty good in his vids ,if you guys get the chains dialed in ,it,s like adding 10cc's to your saw pretty much in performance over the round

Simington is the only choice for a new one now. Its a swing arm style.

Ive been a machinists for 30 plus years.. filing a square chain doesnt look to difficult.. I may be wrong.. my question.. im wanting to put the square chain on my dolmar 5105 I think its a 18 inch bar.. would there be any issues with doing this? also.. in general .. how much faster is a square chain compared to a normal chain? thanks!

Back