Stihl saw chain RS & RSK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been a machinists for 30 plus years.. filing a square chain doesnt look to difficult.. I may be wrong.. my question.. im wanting to put the square chain on my dolmar 5105 I think its a 18 inch bar.. would there be any issues with doing this? also.. in general .. how much faster is a square chain compared to a normal chain? thanks!

It's not too bad but you're holding 3 angles at once and trying to stay in the corner of the cutter with the corner of the file. It will depend but I've seen up to a 30% increase in cutting speed with square from off the roll round chain.

here is a sample vid of stihl full skip square ,ground off my silvey with some angles i use ,a little sharper than off the roll is ,,log measured 22 inches across ,that's a 32 inch bar on one of my 440/460 hybrid's ,notice the log is just sitting on the firewood blocks for support ,not tied down ,the chain is not real grabby,and i am not pushing hard ,the weight of the saw is doing the cut ,wood is hemlock ,i would say it's not as hard as doug fir ,but harder than cedar ,maybe similar to a pine ?,notice the full skip ejects the chips nice in the softwood ,they pile up on the ground pretty fast ,my semi skip is similar in cutting ,but better at starting a bore cut and limbing than the full skip

I like trx250.... He is quite reserved with big opinions, but puts alot of usefull stuff on the table. He likes square chain and knows how to play with it!

Does stihl make a full skip chain that has round file cutters? Seems like all I see is square.
Ok cool. Well I got a guy on eBay that I have bought a few chains from and he advertises rsf so I asked him and he said it was square and that is the only way he has seen it. Hence my confusion.

Might be a difference of terminology at play...

RS (or RSC) is full chisel (squared tooth profile), round ground
RSF is full chisel (squared tooth profile), round ground -- full skip
RM is semi chisel (rounded tooth profile), round ground
RMF is semi chisel (rounded tooth profile) and round ground -- full skip

RSL, RSLK are full chisel, square ground
RSLF, RSLFK are full chisel, square ground -- full skip

Half skip has an H thrown in place of the F

I've been drinking, but I think that's all accurate.

Might be a difference of terminology at play...

RS (or RSC) is full chisel (squared tooth profile), round ground
RSF is full chisel (squared tooth profile), round ground -- full skip
RM is semi chisel (rounded tooth profile), round ground
RMF is semi chisel (rounded tooth profile) and round ground -- full skip

RSL, RSLK are full chisel, square ground
RSLF, RSLFK are full chisel, square ground -- full skip

Half skip has an H thrown in place of the F

I've been drinking, but I think that's all accurate.

It is.

Back