Stihl vs Husqvana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be using it in my Alaskan style mill as well as as a ground saw. I do love the classic old AV’s and I think they would be good in the mill but I’m not getting any younger and those saws are heavy. I seem to be hearing a lot of positive reviews of the 500i but there aren’t any used ones for sale. I don’t have the $2000 to spend on a saw.

Im not brand loyal to any of them, its just always been that pound for pound a husky would outcut a stihl. That all changed with the introduction of the 500i. Most of my family disowned me 3 weeks ago when I bought one lol. Ive got a brand new 390xp that Im seriously considering selling and replacing it with another 500i.
This for me exactly^^^^ BUT it seems this may be changing as you are eluding to. I have a modded 390 that does not have heated grips and at 55yrs I can tell real quick when it is cold that my hands don't like it. The 592 is on my short list esp if the Auto tune happens to fall off and a carb finds it way on one. But I may have to try a cream saws again! CJ

I will be using it in my Alaskan style mill as well as as a ground saw. I do love the classic old AV’s and I think they would be good in the mill but I’m not getting any younger and those saws are heavy. I seem to be hearing a lot of positive reviews of the 500i but there aren’t any used ones for sale. I don’t have the $2000 to spend on a saw.
You could buy a 7910 and get performance on par with a 500. Hell, you could buy a 7910, have it ported, still be hundreds ahead, and still be ahead of Stihl guy when he gets his 500 ported.

You could buy a 7910 and get performance on par with a 500. Hell, you could buy a 7910, have it ported, still be hundreds ahead, and still be ahead of Stihl guy when he gets his 500 ported.
Miller Monster

Attachments

• 8EC82372-2F20-4F40-BC24-6EB3D120C947.jpeg
    8EC82372-2F20-4F40-BC24-6EB3D120C947.jpeg
    860.4 KB · Views: 8
I question the wisdom of that given parts for Dolmars were never abundant and are about to become even less so.

I question the wisdom of that given parts for Dolmars were never abundant and are about to become even less so.
In the age of the internet, this is nonsensical. There are plenty of "vintage" saws out there with parts support long dried up that are still making chips. I'd be more concerned about NEEDING parts for the newer, less well built models. I mostly see people that have never had to source Makita/Dolmar parts beating this drum.

What could be considered the equivalent Husqvana to an MS660/661? What opinions do people have about the comparison?
The Husqy 390xp and 395xp are often compared, with the 660/661 falling right between them in most discussions I’ve seen. Both are battle tested with reinforcements made to them from previous models, 385xp and 394xp. If you want a heavy duty ground saw that edges them out when you start pushing them to their capacity, a 395xp is hard to beat and will pull a 4 foot bar harder than a 70cc will pull a 24. The 395xp is a very capable and impressive saw. And then there’s the new 592xp and the 585 which are said to perform nicely but they are very new, relatively speaking.

In the age of the internet, this is nonsensical. There are plenty of "vintage" saws out there with parts support long dried up that are still making chips. I'd be more concerned about NEEDING parts for the newer, less well built models. I mostly see people that have never had to source Makita/Dolmar parts beating this drum.
Back when I was logging I had a 7900 when they first came out. Parts situation was a nightmare. Nothing was available online and used parts were non existent. And I'd rather not pick through garbage trying to keep a saw running. In fact I'd rather stroll down to a dealer and just buy them. Support the local guy.
Dolmar was never, ever a serious player and even used parts are much less common.

Lol I call it as I see it. The 592 engine is strong! But some other things I'm undecided on. I definitely don't like the carb setup, it's a cluster F. Not all that hard to take apart, but they packed 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag.
They should’ve stuck with the 550, 562, 572 idea instead of the 576. No idea what they were thinking

As a general rule. Based on my research here, stihl doesn't have an apples to apples, good comparabe answer to Huskies 395xp.
Not when you want something smaller than 100cc’s but still want to run a 4ft+ bar in 4ft wood with authority. It’s a heavy duty work horse. If it would have have been about making the consumer happy, Husqy would have just put a new sleek top cover on it, maybe a side tensioner, call it a 495xp and be good.

Not when you want something smaller than 100cc’s but still want to run a 4ft+ bar in 4ft wood with authority. It’s a heavy duty work horse. If it would have have been about making the consumer happy, Husqy would have just put a new sleek top cover on it, maybe a side tensioner, call it a 495xp and be good.
They couldn't due to emmissions and all.

They couldn't due to emmissions and all.
Yeah, this is what I'm gathering is that it's a forced change due to emissions, not a chainsaw upgrade. I'm not having much luck finding a 395xp in stock anywhere today. I'll find one. Getting one while the gettings good. Husky dealer out in Ellsworth Maine claimed her dealer site said 395's on backorder and she couldn't get one until Aug 4! Said all the dealers will have same shipment date. Who knows, but she sounded confident in that claim. I'll take up to a 10 hr road trip if I have to, in order to get my hands on one. Probably no need to panic until a year or two from now, but I'm taking no risks. :D

Yeah, this is what I'm gathering is that it's a forced change due to emissions, not a chainsaw upgrade. I'm not having much luck finding a 395xp in stock anywhere today. I'll find one. Getting one while the gettings good. Husky dealer out in Ellsworth Maine claimed her dealer site said 395's on backorder and she couldn't get one until Aug 4! Said all the dealers will have same shipment date. Who knows, but she sounded confident in that claim. I'll take up to a 10 hr road trip if I have to, in order to get my hands on one.
I just got one at the beginning of January. Build date was Oct 2021, just FYI. So they are still being built and available.

Back