Stihl vs Husqvana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got one at the beginning of January. Build date was Oct 2021, just FYI. So they are still being built and available.
Yeah, this is why I'm getting one asap before that's no longer the case.

Balleys doesn't offer the 395 w/ a 36" bar or as power head only. Figures a good reputable site would have every option but the one I'm after. :D

Yeah, this is why I'm getting one asap before that's no longer the case.

Balleys doesn't offer the 395 w/ a 36" bar or as power head only. Figures a good reputable site would have every option but the one I'm after. :D
You won’t regret getting one. I’ll make another emergency purchase once they are officially discontinued.
32 inch is pretty handy on them too. From there a 48 is often needed and it handles it very well.

Back when I was logging I had a 7900 when they first came out. Parts situation was a nightmare. Nothing was available online and used parts were non existent. And I'd rather not pick through garbage trying to keep a saw running. In fact I'd rather stroll down to a dealer and just buy them. Support the local guy.
Dolmar was never, ever a serious player and even used parts are much less common.
If I were logging it would have to be Stihl or Husky. In my area, and we're pretty well served with all the brands. I even have an Efco brick and mortar close.
Bare feet :oops:
Got datamn'd lake kids...
As a general rule. Based on my research here, stihl doesn't have an apples to apples, good comparabe answer to Huskies 395xp.
It will be interesting to see if Husky phases them out after the 592 comes full pull. Remember when the 372 came back out of retirement?

They should’ve stuck with the 550, 562, 572 idea instead of the 576. No idea what they were thinking
Not a clean simple setup for sure, I seee a lot of ms441 in the induction, 572 too. The SOB does run, good power to weight, and overall, I think it will be a ver good saw.[emoji3577]

What I found interesting with the 2 new big saws from Husqy are the fact that there is the 592xp, but then the 585 doesn’t have the “xp”. …kinda like the 365 or the new 565. Professional saws but no “xp”. Also, 585 has adjustable carb. I see the pattern among their pro saws but does anyone know a deeper meaning to this?

What about Stihl's MS 260 compared to Husky 550? I wonder if I should toss my fart can 550 on the bay and go with stihls 50cc for a nice limbing saw? Would that one make me smile like the old 346 xp did? I doesn't have to be powerful. I grab the 372xp w/ 20" just as soon as the wood reaches anything over 8" or so to get the job done.
Do they have any issues with their "auto tune" whatever they call it? Man, I wish I could go back in time to slap myself, for not buying at least two 346xp's. Just didn't know the predecessor was gunna be a dud. I see though they make "NE" version like they did the 346, they call it something else now, "Mark 2" but 2nd edition either way. I wonder if they fixed it? This fart can makes me so mad that I don't want to support husky's 50cc now lol. I'm holding a grudge, I hate my 550 so bad lol.

If I were logging it would have to be Stihl or Husky. In my area, and we're pretty well served with all the brands. I even have an Efco brick and mortar close.

Got datamn'd lake kids...

It will be interesting to see if Husky phases them out after the 592 comes full pull. Remember when the 372 came back out of retirement?
I remember that very well. We had several 372s at the time and when I went to replace one, they were gone, replaced with the 575 series. I bought one of those instead and for several years those 5 series saws were all I ran. MUCH better vibration control, about the same speed and torque, but it came at the expense of weight. After I started building saws I went back through the piles and have rebuilt every saw we still had left. Between selling, using and giving away, Im down to my last 576 XP AT.

What about Stihl's MS 260 compared to Husky 550? I wonder if I should toss my fart can 550 on the bay and go with stihls 50cc for a nice limbing saw? Would that one make me smile like the old 346 xp did? I doesn't have to be powerful. I grab the 372xp w/ 20" just as soon as the wood reaches anything over 8" or so to get the job done.
Do they have any issues with their "auto tune" whatever they call it? Man, I wish I could go back in time to slap myself, for not buying at least two 346xp's. Just didn't know the predecessor was gunna be a dud.
I prefer the Husqy 550 to the Stihl 261, which is the replacement to the 260. I actually liked the 260 better than the 261. What I mostly dislike about the 261 is when it’s tuned to nearly 14,000rpm like it calls for, it’s not only a torch that hardly oils an 18” bar but I feel it’s a bit rough, compared to my other saws. The 260 wasn’t as fast but it was non-strato, ran cooler, and they were very durable. The 550 has auto tune, which I’m not crazy about but it’s a nice running saw and very smooth in my opinion. It gives up a bit of torque to the 261 though, but it’s more pleasurable for me to run. If they made a 550 with an adjustable carb, it’d be no contest for me.

Yeah, this is what I'm gathering is that it's a forced change due to emissions, not a chainsaw upgrade. I'm not having much luck finding a 395xp in stock anywhere today. I'll find one. Getting one while the gettings good. Husky dealer out in Ellsworth Maine claimed her dealer site said 395's on backorder and she couldn't get one until Aug 4! Said all the dealers will have same shipment date. Who knows, but she sounded confident in that claim. I'll take up to a 10 hr road trip if I have to, in order to get my hands on one. Probably no need to panic until a year or two from now, but I'm taking no risks. :D
How may dealers have you checked with?

I prefer the Husqy 550 to the Stihl 261, which is the replacement to the 260. I actually liked the 260 better than the 261. What I mostly dislike about the 261 is when it’s tuned to nearly 14,000rpm like it calls for, it’s not only a torch that hardly oils an 18” bar but I feel it’s a bit rough, compared to my other saws. The 260 wasn’t as fast but it was non-strato, ran cooler, and they were very durable. The 550 has auto tune, which I’m not crazy about but it’s a nice running saw and very smooth in my opinion. It gives up a bit of torque to the 261 though, but it’s more pleasurable for me to run. If they made a 550 with an adjustable carb, it’d be no contest for me.
What about the updated version, the mark 2? Did they fix it so you can just pick up the saw and just start cutting with it without waiting for auto tune to do whatever it's doing, so you can just start cutting as soon as it's running, like the old 346xp with it?
What the heck are we gunna have to do, start buying and running used saws and just having them repaired no matter the cost, just so we can keep the old school reliability?
My arborist saw (t540) has auto tune though and I can just use that one like an old school saw. It's only the 550 that makes me wait or it will stall, after I restart it. It does run nice, great in fact, while it's running. Just farts whenever I have to restart it and I have to stand there waiting, where I'd be 5 cuts in already with the old 346. Worst husky I've ever owned.

How may dealers have you checked with?
About a dozen today. One's calling me back tomorrow. Says he knows a fellow dealer (didn't tell me where lol) who should have a couple. We'll see.
I pretty much expected this. I don't imagine 90 cc class saws sell like hot cakes in Maine. Not that they are not needed, but not so often most would stock them. Exactly as I expected. Kinda, I did expect one at least somewhere in the larger cities but no luck with those ones either. I didn't check down around Portland though......yet. lol I'll go further for one if I have too though. Just trying around mid coast first.

Do they have any issues with their "auto tune" whatever they call it? Man, I wish I could go back in time to slap myself, for not buying at least two 346xp's. Just didn't know the predecessor was gunna be a dud. I see though they make "NE" version like they did the 346, they call it something else now, "Mark 2" but 2nd edition either way. I wonder if they fixed it? This fart can makes me so mad that I don't want to support husky's 50cc now lol. I'm holding a grudge, I hate my 550 so bad lol.
The first generation 550xp is the nicest handling and performing 50cc saw I've ever hand my hands on. But they weren't designed well, and quality was the bottom of the barrel, they had very poor durability, that is if the saw ran and didn't have a factory defect. It could have been a great saw, it had lots of potential. The MKii is significantly beefed up, which added weight, but they're holding up better.

The 261 just works, better design, light, and they last. After the bad taste the 550 left, I simply would never own one again.

I will never let my 346 or 353 go, pinnacle of 50cc saw design IMHO.

About a dozen today. One's calling me back tomorrow. Says he knows a fellow dealer (didn't tell me where lol) who should have a couple. We'll see.
I pretty much expected this. I don't imagine 90 cc class saws sell like hot cakes in Maine. Not that they are not needed, but not so often most would stock them. Exactly as I expected. Kinda, I did expect one at least somewhere in the larger cities but no luck with those ones either. I didn't check down around Portland though......yet. lol I'll go further for one if I have too though. Just trying around mid coast first.
Have you considered dealers outside of your area? Might be less hassle and just as cheap to have HL Supply or Ebel's Hardware ship one to your door if they have one in stock.

Yeah, this is what I'm gathering is that it's a forced change due to emissions, not a chainsaw upgrade. I'm not having much luck finding a 395xp in stock anywhere today. I'll find one. Getting one while the gettings good. Husky dealer out in Ellsworth Maine claimed her dealer site said 395's on backorder and she couldn't get one until Aug 4! Said all the dealers will have same shipment date. Who knows, but she sounded confident in that claim. I'll take up to a 10 hr road trip if I have to, in order to get my hands on one. Probably no need to panic until a year or two from now, but I'm taking no risks. :D
Chainsaws direct.com

The first generation 550xp is the nicest handling and performing 50cc saw I've ever hand my hands on. But they weren't designed well, and quality was the bottom of the barrel, they had very poor durability, that is if the saw ran and didn't have a factory defect. It could have been a great saw, it had lots of potential. The MKii is significantly beefed up, which added weight, but they're holding up better.

The 261 just works, better design, light, and they last. After the bad taste the 550 left, I simply would never own one again.

I loved the 346xp so much I had her bottom end repaired for me once. Then they told me they couldn't fix it again when it's bottom end had issues. Case issue or something. I wish I could buy this saw again. I wouldn't change a thing. It was perfect for a limbing saw and it was great to use up the tree once the arborist saw had all it could chew on it's way down.

Have you considered dealers outside of your area? Might be less hassle and just as cheap to have HL Supply or Ebel's Hardware ship one to your door if they have one in stock.

Yes, of course. However I was just researching the 90cc class saws and only made up my mind the 395xp was the saw for me, just last night after reading on here. My search literally just began. It's going exactly as I expected to hunt down a far less commonly sold saw around these parts. I'm sure I'll have one soon. I see those sites come up on google too. I'm only on day 1. ;)
Up in Maine, things take a little bit longer than other places, that's all. :) They all seem to stock up to 70cc class saws, no issues. One dealer I just missed his last one sold within 30 days! I got close. :)

What about the updated version, the mark 2? Did they fix it so you can just pick up the saw and just start cutting with it without waiting for auto tune to do whatever it's doing, so you can just start cutting as soon as it's running, like the old 346xp with it?
What the heck are we gunna have to do, start buying and running used saws and just having them repaired no matter the cost, just so we can keep the old school reliability?
My arborist saw (t540) has auto tune though and I can just use that one like an old school saw. It's only the 550 that makes me wait or it will stall, after I restart it. It does run nice, great in fact, while it's running. Just farts whenever I have to restart it and I have to stand there waiting, where I'd be 5 cuts in already with the old 346. Worst husky I've ever owned.
I have no experience of any auto tune saw other than a 550 that was very dependable in a production firewood tank after tank after tank setting. My 261 has served me well but not a favorite of mine at all. As far as keeping the old-school stuff running, that’s my plan. I’ve said before that I’m not interested in a saw that when it has a fuel delivery issue, I have to take it into a dealer to sort out the issue. It’s not that the technology isn’t reliable… it’s a matter of when/if it fails, I’ll have to have someone else look into it. To each, their own, but that’s not my style. It’s too easy for me to keep a regular carburetor perfectly adjusted/repaired if/ when needed.

Wish I could get a new 363. Great saws.

And to the OP, Husqvarna’s current 88cc and 94cc saws to compare to the 660/661 are both non- strato, non- autotune offerings, if that matters. Better air filtration too.

Latest posts

Back