stihl won't sell regular chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I bought a new ms362.

I wanted an 18" bar with semi chisel chain, they wouldn't do it.

Said it had to leave with safety chain and a 20" bar, Stihl policy. I could get the 18" bar and chain, but would need to buy it seperately... like not even on the same invoice seperately.

Just curious if anyone else has run into this. I've been using this dealer for 10 years, they know me, I know them (not like it's a big town)

He was thinking:

"I've seen the way you drive, Bryan. You've got a heavy foot. You'll blow yourself to piecesssss..."

If they won't sell you what you want then go somewhere else, works every time!

They are the only dealer for 30 miles. The other "dealer" is Ace Hardware in Anchorage and Craig Taylor at the very far end of Wasilla.

We buy parts through this dealer almost weekly for customer saws.

Same thing, different brand. When my Echo dealer went out of business I went to another Echo dealer on their 20% off sale day. I wanted another 490 with 18" bar. Dealer told me no, all their 490's came with 20" bar. If I wanted an 18" bar I had to buy it separately, no trade in or credit for the 20" bar. See ya! That's when I bought 2 Maruyama MCV 51.

So you're sayin it had to leave with RM3 chain and you want RM ?

I don't see the problem ?

I wanted an 18" bar and semi chisel. It had a 20" chisel safety chain. Now has what I wanted and i have a 20" bar and loop of chain I'll put for sale I guess.

I did email Stihl HQ so maybe they'll take it back. How about sell me what I want?
They did have the wrap handle for $50. I don't need a wrap, but it's $125+ on the inner webs for some reason?

On our side of the pond the chains/bars don't have the green/ yellow paint on the bars & tie straps it just comes as a plain chain with type model on the box or the dealer spins what you require I fyou buy a new saw & want a different bar/chain than what is on the saw I've never known any of the 3 dealers that sell Stihl refuse to change & fit what you want unless it's a way out request so I guess it' dealer related rather than a missive from on high unless the regs are different for the US.

They are the only dealer for 30 miles. The other "dealer" is Ace Hardware in Anchorage and Craig Taylor at the very far end of Wasilla.

We buy parts through this dealer almost weekly for customer saws.
If you know exactly what you want can't you order it online? I haven't seen much you can't get on line.

Back