Storm Cleanup in Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had very strong straight line winds go through Ohio this evening. We got some damage here, but it sounds FAR worse in Findaly, where my wife's from. They had reports of 85 MPH winds. That would also be near Ohio Gregg. I'm headed up in the morning with a generator for my inlaws, and to help him clean up.

These trees were here in Middletown and Lebanon.

2012-06-2919-32-36471-1-M.jpg

2012-06-2919-51-34812-M.jpg

2012-06-2919-51-51886-M.jpg

2012-06-2919-52-08726-M.jpg

2012-06-2920-16-10984-M.jpg

We had very strong straight line winds go through Ohio this evening. We got some damage here, but it sounds FAR worse in Findaly, where my wife's from. They had reports of 85 MPH winds. That would also be near Ohio Gregg. I'm headed up in the morning with a generator for my inlaws, and to help him clean up.

These trees were here in Middletown and Lebanon.

I had a feeling you'd be buzzing around like a humming bird.:msp_smile:

We had a few minutes of straight line winds, 65mph or so and no damage I could see. We also had two or three drops of rain:( we need rain!!

BTW all I see in your truck is a bunch of Husky's.:D

Last edited:
I had a feeling you'd be buzzing around like a humming bird.:msp_smile:

We had a few minutes of straight line winds, 65mph or so and no damage I could see. We also had two or three props of rain:( we need rain!!

BTW all I see in your truck is a bunch of Husky's.:D

If that is the case...junk truck with junk saws, but everyone is happy with different things ;) i'm kidding brad.

I live about an hr due east of Findlay all we got was a few rain drops did cool of though.

Its bad over in my neck, I still don't have power. They are saying it may take five to seven days to fix. I'm headed down to grandpa's house to start cutting them out.nothing fell on the house but they lost there truck and most of the trees near there house. Lucky no one got hurt.

stay safe and take it easy in this heat. Here in the burbs outside of philly it will be in the upper 90's with heat index at 100 till monday. Brad is using the huskys on this storm cleanup so they dont feel left out.:msp_rolleyes:

We had a similar storm here in Southern Illinois in May of 2009 and it was devastating in many areas. I was a supervisor for the state DOT then and we spent many weeks in the clean up. Just a word of caution to you guys that are helping, always assume every wire on the ground or tangled in a tree you need to cut is HOT. Never assume it is cable TV or a phone line. We found a hot wire in a pile of debris weeks after the storm, luckily no one was hurt but it could have been really bad. Stay safe

Steve

Yes Brad, This area was hit pretty hard. Lots of towns and areas around here will be without power for days they say.
We still have power here though. Lots of downed trees and roof damage in my neck of the woods. Just lost a bunch of shingles from the barn and metal roofing from from a couple sheds here. No house damage that I know of yet. Lost Direct TV sat., but thats just an inconvenience. :msp_ohmy:

Their are a number of neighbors who lost barn roofs, or parts of them. Funny thing, most of the damage was to newer style metal pole buildings, just lifted roofs off of them. I seen the neighbors tandem axle livestock trailer sitting on its roof. I must say, that was the hardest I have ever seen the wind blow in my 58+ years. It seemed to last for some time also. Not just a quick blast and done. I heard weather reports, just before it hit here, of 90 mph straight line winds in Fort Wayne, and 85 in Lima. Don't care to see that again.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Hit Indiana too.

I was looking out the back door to the west as the complete roof on my combine shed lifted off and came towards the house, but It hit a power pole and turned toward a big scyamore (sp) tree. Part of it is still in the tree.

It happened so fast I just watched. ( Pole building ) Have other damage but will be fine.

Going to run the Poulan 4000 and the Husky 353 now.

The sky got dark last night around six and we got about as many drops of rain as I could count on two hands. Still high and dry. No wind damage around here.

Not near as bad as the 100mph straight line winds that took out my 1800's barn in 2006. But still a doozy and had to ride it out in the new pole barn the mennonites built.

Parents and bro not so lucky in southern Ohio. Trees down everywhere across roads and power lines. Told power will be out for another 5 to 7 days.

Kicker to all of this the 3 local gas stations in town 8 miles or so away are out of gas, due to everyone running gens down that way and stocking up.

Mom sent me some pics of Dad running his poulan 3300 it bought new in the 80's clearing the road out. :clap:

Utility pole laying in my yard, the one our service drops from. Had to cut some of it out of the road. Missed the house buy two feet. Who knows when we will have power again...

Good luck guys! Lot of extreme weather past few years! It's just near unbelievably hot here so far, no big winds, but a lot of fire potential now.

It's so dry here the guy across the street mowed his hayfield last evening, and they are baling it right now.

Just got word my bro's gen quit. Trying to get in contact with him to see if he needs my gen and 5 gal gas cans filled up and brought down 3.5hrs south. I have close to 10 5 gal cans on hand for such emergency's.

Back