Storm Cleanup in Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was next door to my inlaws place. This Pine was planted in 1973 as a live Christmas tree. It was in rememberance of their 12 year old daughter that was hit by a car and killed in front of the house there. It was definately sad to see it go.

[video=youtube_share;4Jzxf60raF4]http://youtu.be/4Jzxf60raF4[/video]

This place belongs to my BIL's MIL, lol. This nearly 40" Ash tree had been needing to come down for a couple years. It lost a limb in the storm, and it was a good opportunity to get rid of the whole tree.

No pics of it, but I got to use my Christmas receiver hook from Nate, aka Metals06:clap:

[video=youtube_share;i7Va_r8-zD0]http://youtu.be/i7Va_r8-zD0[/video]

This place belongs to my BIL's MIL, lol. This nearly 40" Ash tree had been needing to come down for a couple years. It lost a limb in the storm, and it was a good opportunity to get rid of the whole tree.

No pics of it, but I got to use my Christmas receiver hook from Nate, aka Metals06:clap:

Nice work. Looks like a really good tree to make use of your orange hat!

Who got to climb to put the strap up?

There wasn't much left of that tree.

Nice running H and the bucket sure took some work out of clean up!

Cool video, I like the end with you driving away on the old tractor. Looks like you're liking the 395 a little better now.

I believe that's first time I ever got to operate an old tractor like that. It was a treat. I've always loved that style of old tractor, especially with the tricycle frontend.

I'm still hankering to build a 385/390 with a 56mm topend:rock:

Nice work. Looks like a really good tree to make use of your orange hat!

Who got to climb to put the strap up?

There wasn't much left of that tree.

Nice running H and the bucket sure took some work out of clean up!

I used a ladder to get up on that first big limb to put the rope in. Yes, a helmet was a must on that tree. I stepped back while he tensioned the rope in case it shook some dead limbs out.

Nice video. The 395 looks to be running pretty good. Use some wedges next time so you don't have to put pressure on the tree with the strap. Don't ask me how I know this.:dizzy:

Thanks for the video, good learning tool for me.

Some questions:
  1. I thought the notch was supposed to go half way, in this case more like 1/4, why?
  2. At 2:23 I noticed your saw was binding, so you increased the rope tension. Suggests the natural tendency was to fall opposite your desired direction?
  3. The tree was severely hollow, had you bored in prior to cutting?
In all cases I'm asking, I've never dropped a tree.

Nice video. The 395 looks to be running pretty good. Use some wedges next time so you don't have to put pressure on the tree with the strap. Don't ask me how I know this.:dizzy:

I had the wedges and falling axe. I knew the tree was hollow. We put the rope on it just in case we needed it, knowing we couldn't do so after it was cut. In the heat, it was much easier to just pull it over, rather than possible have to deal with wedging it.

Thanks for the video, good learning tool for me.

Some questions:
  1. I thought the notch was supposed to go half way, in this case more like 1/4, why?
  2. At 2:23 I noticed your saw was binding, so you increased the rope tension. Suggests the natural tendency was to fall opposite your desired direction?
  3. The tree was severely hollow, had you bored in prior to cutting?
In all cases I'm asking, I've never dropped a tree.

1. I was trying to maximize my holding wood, knowing the tree was hollow. Besides, it's not how far back you notch into the tree, but is how much of the width of the tree you've notched. I had plenty of width.
2. We didn't want to damage any trees on the other side of the dead on. Getting it to fall the directing we did was not a challenge. I don't believe the tree was setting back, causing the bind. I believe it was because the tree was hollow, and I was coming in from the other side, with things not lining up perfectly. Again, I had wedges I could have used, but was not concerned with the rope on it.
3. There was no need to bore. I knew it was hollow before I started.

I had the wedges and falling axe. I knew the tree was hollow. We put the rope on it just in case we needed it, knowing we couldn't do so after it was cut. In the heat, it was much easier to just pull it over, rather than possible have to deal with wedging it.

It's always a good bet to put wedges in just so it doesn't pinch. I had a 1" rope break on a tree smaller than that as it was right at tipping. If the wind hadn't blew I would have had to go back and try to set wedges again if it didn't go 180° from where we wanted it.

It's always a good bet to put wedges in just so it doesn't pinch. I had a 1" rope break on a tree smaller than that as it was right at tipping. If the wind hadn't blew I would have had to go back and try to set wedges again if it didn't go 180° from where we wanted it.

I agree entirely. In most cases, I would do just that.

Brad did you happen to catch whose grain facility that was at the end?

Here's what it's all about.

IMG5907-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back