Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TTT from the bottom of page 3 Stihl for the win BUMP !!

AxqUb52O5d2NFiKkcRltvQq-aNJm9hrKRVl8ErEBMXpwOATod-j4RuBAvO7QtgnIbh1HDLSCoYfOYrPdPvQqxlkfCpOK-66M-t6IVQkLmCDhmCroMA7UEyx5-98StLOUAVW6fv_zBgmDbuLfzG3BJ75KYQwSvXSyNr6hlIvO3vmOZjp1z57xue3bp1n8mjOFQsvvcGYy4OGmUWQB6FGnvgDQl-Ngqva1UEQfpE5sQiD1vb9cmddnlAxTVwW_XlmBcx5s4KKPCYJnkkIoJe91-HrEYCdhOVzPsPUws9lHOHCkC_9eB7x5xuyndV75UNLMpNmUadGwSxK5TklBFOJPzv1s7yCPA047jaj5ow9EymNu3U1cvdHO-schcymozN0Xj4xfk_fR88dhuF73eo0AgKKh6-d6OOVoC2BSqFTAiaStrb3g4Nyk2BBc79ektoHzzSqOPg62FJ8OjGeDINyPyGsE7mymTapafQEfoQfk1ccY8Um6ge3ZvGW4qvKUT5AyeQOKTK0SKBviDSlqk5-nJ4yRPrgKmbTksyAtz0L9NZZX61_i_ncgz-PLexiFRkDgHsxfR4qFjIkdtMTrbFMQkG_2BpnfMEcUvb_3xm9nRZDvNpbmItCDDg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Yesterday, down at the copper mine, I was working away and started hearing this familiar honking......getting louder.....a nice "V" of 'Nadia Geese passed right overhead.....headed North.....almost got by before I could get my phone out and got a couple pics. Then a hour later another flock went over much lower....by the time they showed above the trees, went over and disappeared over the north tree line I was on a ladder and could not get the phone out in time.....those would have been better pics as they were a hundred or so feet up......

nadia geese 001.JPG

nadia geese 002.JPG

The Nadian geese have been streaming by here almost every day a flock or two in big V formations are honking their way North, been a couple thousand or so go by during the daylight hours, many more passing by at night. The central flyway likely even more busier now.

New snow this morning.....not much...about an inch. Was going down to the copper mine today as the coming week looks wet as well but said to heck with that.....12 pitch roof slippery and dripping ...... icy stagings up two storys, didn't hold much interest for me working all alone. Be dry by tomorrow and supposed to be a nice day.....no need to take unnecessary risks......I know I don't bounce as well as I once might have....one of my steadfast rules about working up in the air has always been....."If you are not comfortable up there get down" Peace of mind is the most important tool you have.....if you don't have it, you won't get much done on the job at hand and are likely to get yourself or someone else hurt ......So....I'll go to the shop, fire up the Free Flow and work on a couple clients chainsaws.......

Fall arrest, good system but slows up progress somewhat. Got it but don`t use it much anymore.

Yeah...fall arrest is not a bad thing......impossible to argue it is.......but I spend way more time going up and down than I do either on the roof or on the ground.......up one ladder...across a 30' flat circular roof then up another ladder to the mason stagings........which are real good.......8X5' flat spot on opposite roof pitches.....it's not the being up there you have to cautious about it's the coming and going.......not much of an issue when dry.....but throw in an inch or two of snow and ice.....gets iffy.....my tolerance span for this type of danger has significantly narrowed in the last decade........right along with the reflexes and recovery time......

The Nadian geese have been streaming by here almost every day a flock or two in big V formations are honking their way North, been a couple thousand or so go by during the daylight hours, many more passing by at night. The central flyway likely even more busier now.
Saw an Eagle fly lazily overhead this afternoon around 3PM headed North while out at the wood pile!

Yeah...fall arrest is not a bad thing......impossible to argue it is.......but I spend way more time going up and down than I do either on the roof or on the ground.......up one ladder...across a 30' flat circular roof then up another ladder to the mason stagings........which are real good.......8X5' flat spot on opposite roof pitches.....it's not the being up there you have to cautious about it's the coming and going.......not much of an issue when dry.....but throw in an inch or two of snow and ice.....gets iffy.....my tolerance span for this type of danger has significantly narrowed in the last decade........right along with the reflexes and recovery time......
You're not alone!

Ill leave the heights to you Robin... never been much good over 6' up.. I have had my moments, one instance in a man lift over active traffic was one. Sometimes you have to get the job done.
Was always afraid of heights until I started com swordfishing. After a few days of being petrified could Boogie up to the crows nest in a blow and heavy seas! No fright that can't be worked thru!!

Was always afraid of heights until I started com swordfishing. After a few days of being petrified could Boogie up to the crows nest in a blow and heavy seas! No fright that can't be worked thru!!

I was always ok with heights as long as I trusted the structure I was on but the first time I had to climb the gin pole to flip a cable at 230' I was a bit concerned....LOL

Back