Take a Look at This Forecast:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tonight: Windy. Snow this evening will give way to snow showers overnight. Significant blowing and drifting snow. Wind chills may approach -15F. Low 3F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Additional snow accumulating 1 to 2 inches, reaching a total of 8 inches since morning.

Tomorrow: Variable clouds and windy. Snow flurries or snow showers will continue through the day. Some blowing and drifting snow. Wind chills may approach -25F. High 0F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph.

Tomorrow night: Bitterly cold. Overcast. Dangerous wind chills may approach -35F. Low -14F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy skies. A few flurries or snow showers possible. Dangerous wind chills approaching -40F. High -2F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday: More clouds than sun. Highs in the low single digits and lows -14 to -18F."
---------------------------
That's what I am facing. Can you believe it? This is global warming? Do you think there is any chance that my wood stove is going to be short on draft for the next few days?

Last I heard this beast was heading straight for Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Rochester, and all points east, gaining strength as it advances.

Last edited:
And it's only the first week of January.

Netfriend in Mississippi is looking at 4º on Saturday. Four. In Mississippi.

First week of February ought to be interesting if this keeps up for you folks in the heartland.

It's relatively mild here in New England, I guess we're on the ocean side of the jet stream trough. 19 on Sunday for a high should be the coldest day of the season so far, windchill is supposed to be below zero so I'll plan to hole up inside :D

Wood Doc, That is the same forecast I'm getting but, I live 60 miles due east of you.

I'm getting sick of all this snow, seems like I have to move some every day. Can't get to the wood I planned to cut this winter. We have at least 1" of ice under all this snow so that makes it even worse. Power lines are still covered with ice so all this wind that is coming will take them down again. I'm happy I have a woodburner and a generator to run the blower.

Hang in there Wood Doc, we're all in this together.

not much better here, calling for a low of+2 tommorow nite with a high of 18 for friday ands it sleeting right now, changing to snow before morning.
I guess thats why they call it winter.

LOL!!!

Nebraska...:confused:

The Central states are getting clobbered with our sorta weather this year, and it's all coming down from Canada.

It's always Canada's fault, cuz that's where the Heating oil comes from LOL!!

Hunker down and stay warm, and remember to check on the neighbors.
Some folks just aren't set up for this sorta thing and can get into the Hurt Locker quick.

So much for that Hockey stick Al Gore is always blathering about..unless you're using it on the Ice LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

-18 here right now, bit of a breeze, about 8 inches of new on the ground. I wish that I had some of the good wood over here, not over in the snow covered pile. The blaze king is purring away at 700, house is at 81....just because I can, that is why it is at 81. Gas company, kiss my wood burning backside.:clap:

Tonight: Windy. Snow this evening will give way to snow showers overnight. Significant blowing and drifting snow. Wind chills may approach -15F. Low 3F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Additional snow accumulating 1 to 2 inches, reaching a total of 8 inches since morning.

Tomorrow: Variable clouds and windy. Snow flurries or snow showers will continue through the day. Some blowing and drifting snow. Wind chills may approach -25F. High 0F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph.

Tomorrow night: Bitterly cold. Overcast. Dangerous wind chills may approach -35F. Low -14F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy skies. A few flurries or snow showers possible. Dangerous wind chills approaching -40F. High -2F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday: More clouds than sun. Highs in the low single digits and lows -14 to -18F."
---------------------------
That's what I am facing. Can you believe it? This is global warming? Do you think there is any chance that my wood stove is going to be short on draft for the next few days?

Last I heard this beast was heading straight for Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Rochester, and all points east, gaining strength as it advances.

Today is the first day the wind is not howling since last Friday...I sure feel for you midwesterners who have to put up with bitter cold/wind all winter. We've been spoiled for about 10 yrs. here in the East. That storm/snow is supposed to peter out somewhat when it hits the Allegheny Front in W.V., only an inch predicted here in NW Va.

Still have a little snow on the ground here, but woke up to ice and a howling north wind this morning. Supposed to be in the single digits to low teens soon, what happened, did Mother Nature forget TX is in the south?

Hey Ed,
At least we did not get the amount of snow out here that you have. I flew into Omaha a couple days ago and my wife picked me up. I could not believe how much more snow you guys got than we did. From Kearney east will not see the ground for quite some time. We actually have bare ground here.

The temps are the same, though. It is a cold dog. I am keeping it about 71 in the house without too much effort. I don't stick my nose outside any more than necessary. My indoor wood pile is dwindling, though, and so I may have to venture forth before long!

I noticed that Eastern Nebraska is not having near the storms and extreme cold that we are seeing on the western side and into Iowa. That's because you are west of the spike coming down from Canada. Somehow the mountains are actually protecting you this year from the onslaught.

This storm is supposed to gain strength as it drifts east and picks up moisture from the great lakes and the big rivers. The wind this morning is just plain intolerable. You could frost bite your hands or ears in only a few seconds if left exposed. Temperature dropped 10 degrees since midnight and the wind velocity doubled.

Hey Doc,

I've been watching that weather "clipper" out there since the New Year started. Allot of the country going through a deep freeze and in some cases record cold (down south). Can you say Changing climate! :taped: LOL. I get a laugh when I see that Atlanta, Ga, is colder than Downeast Maine!

In Maine here on the coast we had the usual mid Jan-Feb deep freeze in December about the second and third week of that month. I'm hoping that's out of the way for this year although I'm not counting on it. Woods holding out well though! Oil man just tanked me up and I've only used 60 gallons thus far this year, so thats cool. This year I took some "extree" insulating steps that have paid off thus far. My house being 200+ years old with most of the original windows (wavy glass) can be quite drafty. This year I used 2+ 9 packs of those weather king plastic window kits. Big difference in keeping the heat in. Did all the outlets and door seals and sweeps too. Well worth the effort.

Stay warm,
Zee

Who cares about wind chill? I think only people down south talk about that. Our regular temp tomorrow night is going to -20°
Remember wind chill only effects exposed human flesh not machinery or anything else.

Who cares about wind chill? I think only people down south talk about that. Our regular temp tomorrow night is going to -20°
Remember wind chill only effects exposed human flesh not machinery or anything else.
I agree to an extent. But it blows right through my gloves and frost bites my hands. Take the wind away, and I can survive. Wind chills like this can kill.

However, on the positive side, the wind chill doubles the draft in my chimney and makes an incredible hot fire in the stove. Even damp wood burns with that kind of draft. :dizzy:

Try some good snowmobile gloves, people snowmobile up here when its -10° and sleds now days go 100 mph now there's some wind chill.

Latest posts

Back