Take a Look at This Forecast:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing about living where it gets cold it keeps all the lazy welfare bums away. It's hard to live in a cardboard box when it's -20 below.

I've thought that for years. More vagrents live in warm climates than cold ones. Not rocket science why.

5 tonight
2 tomorrow night.
7 saturday night.
Im burning thru more wood than I had planned.
Good news is sunday, Im supposed to cut a standing dead tree for a buddy. I dont want to burn it this year, but it will get me another couple days of burning like I have been, plus no cleanup. he'll just run over the leftovers with his brush hog.

I doubt if anyone in Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconson, or Iowa would even be reporting on this thread if they were running short of firewood.

Frankly, I don't see how the folks in Illinois, Indiana, or Michigan can resist saying something. Last I heard, there were a few dead trees standing there, waiting to be harvested for heat. Shucks, they even sell beautiful Brave log splitters in Streator, IL.

And, Michigan is supposed to receive the most snow from this storm of all, thanks to the great lakes spawning the activity.:dizzy:

Wood Doc.

Where are these standing dead trees? Are they close to a plowable drive to get to? LOL!!

Got about 6" today while making room for that storm of yours.

attachment.php

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

This winter reminds me of the winters when I was in NW Iowa. The tons of snow and cold are more typical for that country. A 12 in snow was just taken in stride. The road crews were equipped to deal with it because it happened several times each year. I remember when we moved in to our place in Dec, we did not know that we had a patio until spring.

Now in SW Iowa, it usually snows 1-6" stays cold for a couple of days and warms back up to the 20-30's and the snow melts off. This repeats a few times during the winter with maybe a big snow in march. Not this year. We haven't gotten the warm spells in between snows.

I was reading today that the line between the arctic air and the warmer air is more zig zagged this winter and it causing bands of extremely cold weather and mild weather all over the world. I guess England is getting it hard too. Other places are warmer than usual.

Today was a work from home day. I got a quite a bit done since there were a lot less distractions at home. I got the driveway blown out with the Ariens and plugged the truck in. I am going to need the clearance to get out tomorrow. If it drifts in much more I'll have to wait for the maintainer. We have already had too many people stuck on the stretch south of my place to the highway, including 4x4 pickups. It turns into a continuous drift for about 1/4 mile.

Hopefully the wind quits tomorrow like they are talking and it warms up for a while.

Don

One of my buddy's mom moved to Boseman, MT.

She said stop whining, she has had to tunnel out of her front door before.

-27 here tonite, blaze king and chimney will be clean by am, got a hot one going tonite. 82 in the house, only 109 difference, I guess that I better throw in some more wood! The king is sitting at a steady 900, even smells a tad warm, I can live with that! Imagine this, all this heat on pine and cottonwood! Not possable some may say.

-27 here tonite, blaze king and chimney will be clean by am, got a hot one going tonite. 82 in the house, only 109 difference, I guess that I better throw in some more wood! The king is sitting at a steady 900, even smells a tad warm, I can live with that! Imagine this, all this heat on pine and cottonwood! Not possable some may say.

Pics or it ain't happening.:D

LOL!
I have a couple really gnarly big Pine splits I am saving for a quick hot blast if needed.

Pine Sux, but ya can't beat it for good heat FAST!
Sassafrass is the only thing that comes close.

Woodsnobs just need to be cold and broke at the same time, and they will convert easily.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ha! yeah the cold blast is hittin here to this weekend again. Glad I have a OWB now, it makes me less inclined to burn furniture....you know having to carry it that far :laugh:

Hey Dinger
I guess that I am not smart enough to get a pix to work. ARGGGG
Why does it have to be so involved?!?!?

I was real happy with my burn times this cold spell. All day Friday the high was single digits, and Friday night it got down to -2, wind chill was around -15. I filled the Hardy H2 OWB with mostly seasoned Oak around 5:00pm, went out this AM at 8:00 and still had a few logs ontop some nice coals. Stirred it up a little and filled 'er up again to check around 5:00pm. So getting easy 14 hour burns which I can't complain about as the house stat has been on 74-75 during the day, and 71-72 at night. The stove actually works better when it is cold like this, finer ash in the ash tray.

Last edited:
Meh....

Stupid lake is still protecting us.
It's still above zero and havn't dipped below it yet, but inland they are complaining a bit. Beautifull sunny day and 16 degrees today.

We could use another 3-6' of snow.
If I gotta root through snow to get to the woodpile, I want something impressive to really tick me off and keep me motivated. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

One above today and still plenty of snow to play in, more white stuff in the forecast for next week.:cheers:
attachment.php

One above today and still plenty of snow to play in, more white stuff in the forecast for next week.:cheers:
attachment.php

Man, I would love a good snow storm like that around here.We are expecting 4 inches here tomorrow night and the locals are going crazy.2 hour line at the propane station,not a loaf of bread to be found in the stores unless you like yuppy bread.

Man, I would love a good snow storm like that around here.We are expecting 4 inches here tomorrow night and the locals are going crazy.2 hour line at the propane station,not a loaf of bread to be found in the stores unless you like yuppy bread.

Right now we have a high pressure keeping the snow away from our area.
The drifts are soft and deep, that picture was taken right before I got stuck.:censored:
It sounds like you enjoy alot of snow so hopefully you'll get your share of it too.:cheers:

For a lousy 4"! Geeeeze! Even in Ohio that doesn't slow us down.

Ice Storm

It's not too cold here at this time but we are having an Ice Storm. Sleet will be following it and then snow ending sometime tomorrow.

I sure am glad I've got plenty of wood stacked close to the front door.

Nosmo

It's not too cold here at this time but we are having an Ice Storm. Sleet will be following it and then snow ending sometime tomorrow.

I sure am glad I've got plenty of wood stacked close to the front door.

Nosmo
The Sooners are having an ice storm? Cold as a witch's nose here but no snow or ice anywhere except the packed base that's altready on the ground. It all went south? Hard to believe. Gasp!

ya know, I really dont mind the cold when it stays cold for a while. I can get acclimated to the cold. its the going from 70 to 7 that gets me...

Back