tall straight pines, worth anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am buying a property in upstate ny. it is over run with HUGH pines, at least 60ft high and 1-3ft accross. they are mostly straight. can i sell them for anything?

Possibly....

Depends on how many, what species and where they are.

The person you need to talk to is a consulting forestor in the local area. He can advise you on managing the forest, harvesting and marketing the logs. There is more to managing the forest than just cutting down the trees.
Also dont just take the first offer you get for the trees from a passing logger, chances are you will get ripped off and end up with a clearcut disaster area.
Thats where the expertise of a forestor (working for YOU) will ensure the right trees are harvested by a good logger and sold to the mills paying the best prices.

Cheers

Ian.

i can fall them myself, i can drag them to the road with my suburban (i think) i just need someone to buy them.

if a discription will help,

SSPX0267.jpg

SSPX0269.jpg

SSPX0270.jpg

do i have enough trees to get my own hippy? only time will tell. lol

let me know folks.

so what kind of price would i be looking at if i fall the trees, and get them to the road? $1500? $15,000?

Somehow I don't think you will be skidding those pines with a suburban. Maybe I'm wrong though:popcorn:

No one can give you an accurate price with the info you have provided. How many trees, how big are they (actually), How many limbs and defects, what kind of ground are they on, how much room is there to work, what kind of access is there, how far from the mill are they? All of this and more comes into play, The only way to give a fair or reasonable estimate is for some one to cruise the timber in person.
Any logger I have ever known would prefer to fall and buck them himself.
The wear and tear of skidding them with a Suburbon would probably be more than the value of the logs.

To give you an idea.. a 36" dia x 16ft pine log weighs about 5,000 lbs.

:lifter:

Cheers

Ian

I don't think pine pays over $400mbf anywhere in the US....And those don't look huge to me. Minimum length is probably 16'6"....scale is determined by the top diameter of each log, inside the bark. A log truck typically can haul 3000-6000bf...

Log volume and weight calculators are here:

http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSCalculators.html

With that many branches, which makes for trunk taper, I doubt that a 2 foot dbh tree would scale out at more than 600bf....and probably much less.

Get a forester to scale them for you...

keep in mind the money you're gonna get from the timber will vary. i don't know much about pine, but like others have said, grades depend on top diameter inside bark, straightness, grain spacing, knots, diseases, species, and the market prices will vary with supply and demand. talk to foresters and scalers. if you plan on doing sustainable harvesting over the long run definately talk to foresters. sometimes its best to to selectively take trees, but other times some species are not shade tollerant and will not grow back in a thinned out forest. clearcuts can be good; most people don't like them based on aesthetic reasons. foresters i used to work with said around here clearcuts combined with replanting proper species percentages are good, because douglas fir is the predominant tree species and is shade intollerant. so if it was selectively logging, after a generation you'd have an unnatrual species breakdown, with a whole bunch of hemlock and balsam, and very little douglas fir....so long story short, talk to someone that knows about the ecology of your area, tell them your plans, and then decide what will best suit you. oh yeah, and find out the preferred lengths the mill will want for each grade. it would be a shame if you bucked a bunch incorrectly and part of each log went to waste.

Last edited:
my long term plan is to live here five years then move to PA. i am building a house on this lot. so when i sell 7 acres and a 3 bedroom house i should get about 300K. when i move to pa the same house will cost me 100K. so no mortgage to pay. and seeing as i am building my house with just my paycheck, no mortgage now.
so take all the good ones.....

now tonight i sign the deal, so i hope they are worth something.

a very conseritive estimate is 100 trees at 12" accross and 50ft tall.

The board footage value for the information you entered is:
36000 Board Feet

so like $22,000?

ok thanks, i did find the thousand board feet thing. so for an idea of tree size i snapped this today when i bought the property.

SSPX0278.jpg

I'm kind of curious too where exactly you are in the state. If you'd prefer not to mention it in public, you can always PM me. From what I can see in your pics, there might not be a ton of footage there, but definitely a time to do some management cutting. It looks like there's a lot of potential there. We work a lot with pine at work, but it's not really my place to give prices. It's not my checkbook, and like everyone else has said, there's a lot of variables.

I don't know what your cutting experience is, but if your going to do it yourself, I hope your fairly comfortable with felling. Especially this time of year with the bark of the trees loosening up. You can do a lot of damage to the leave trees if your not careful. Same thing goes for skidding (especially when you start getting all those top branches hung up in each other). And I would not go bucking all those logs at 8'6'' so your Suburban can handle it. You are going to loose a lot of grade (i.e. money) that way. This is where having an experienced logger will help. There's a few threads floating around in the recent past that go a little more into that.

As far as your original question, is it worth it? It is hard to say in just a few photos, but one way you can tell is if you go in the stand and there is absolutely no light hitting the ground. If this is happening, it's going to be too crowded for you tops to grow out and can stunt the trees growth, as well as completely eliminating any growth in the understory. So even if your not going to get the big bucks this time around, it will help the forest. I guess it depends on your level of commitment to the woodlot, and how much of the project you want to take on yourself. Good luck and let us know how things go.

medusa ny.

i dont care about the lot i am only staying for 5 years then moving to Pennsylvania.

Latest posts

Back