THALL I am adding to the collection!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl #1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Aquired a few saws, and some other stuff, in the last couple of months and finally got around to posting some pics.
Here are 4 saws that I probably won't get around to working on soon, since I have so many STIHL project saws I would prefer to fix.

attachment.php

I remember working on the old Poulans when I had my shop in OK back in the '80s. Seems like they were pretty good saws. Can't think of much good to say about the old Homies though.

attachment.php

I am excited about this 038. I helped a guy get 2 of them running, then traded a MS 360 for this one after hearing it run. Thanks to Joe Signs for getting me a starter for it. I used to repair literally piles of these for a logger in N FL in the '90s and I have been hunting a decent one for a while. Won't take much to have this one usable.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had been hunting an 044C for a long while and ended up trading for 2 of them from 2 different people within 2 weeks of each other. Notice the red Master Control lever. These have an auto choke feature on them. Horribly complex with a bellows and a bunch of parts, a different cylinder, lots of little plastic linkages on the carb, but they both run.

attachment.php

I know, not a saw, but I had never seen a BR 106 backpack, and got 2 of them that both run good. Slightly smaller than a BR 400. I guess I will clean one up for my daughter to use. (YEAH, RIGHT)

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! hard to find nice claan 044's out here - most are beat.

I have a couple of the automatic choke carbs if you need one... I think every one of those ever made (except yours) got taken off and replaced with a real choke system ;)

Last edited:
More pics...

My daughter likes hanging around in the shop and really does help out and acts interested. This is a MS 360 we are going to put a new crankshaft in.

attachment.php

I have always wanted an O&R saw, and a friend gave me this one, a Mustang. It has a tiny little cylinder on it and is a gear drive saw, I guess so it can have enough torque to get the chain to spin. Haven't tried to run it, maybe someday.

attachment.php

The 50th anniversary Poulan in purple and green, never started. The pinnacle of my collection!!!

attachment.php

Some more pics...

And no collection would be complete without a Troybuilt made in Tiawan chainsaw. What a piece of junk. I took off the filter cover and I don't see why they even bothered to put any foam under it, since it doesn't even seal up anywhere. Our poor buying public doesn't have a clue. It even has an easy start rewind on it that barely works.

attachment.php

And a new trimmer for my daughter to use with her blower...

attachment.php

attachment.php

This thing has a FS 350 motor on it! I am going to put a KM shaft on it and edge my driveway at 90 MPH!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, rub it in will ya

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk now ya done done it. Looks like the only way I'm gonna collect more saws than you is to break into your saw shed and rob ya,LOLOL

Not to be outdone too far I must tell you my freebie 044 is much prettier than your two so ha, mine is like brand spanking new thank you,LOL I also picked up a nice 056 not long ago as well. I quit robbing the customers out of thier saws when they brought them in for repair a long time ago. Looks like I'm gonna have to start back up with the ole "why fix it, buy a new one and I'll buy your old one. This is war now Eddie, its on, I won't be able to sleep knowing your pulling way ahead of me now. I must go into extreme mode now just to be able to see your taillights,LOLOL

Eddie I'm gonna take a day off here pretty soon and head down your way again. This time I wanna see inside that shop of yours. Can't wait to see ya again and talk saws and Stihl, both our favorite subjects.

Last edited:
Where did you find the backpack trimmer, it looks new.

Good collection you have been growing. Also nice to see your daughter likes to hang around her dad. just like mine.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! hard to find nice claan 044's out here - most are beat.

I have a couple of the automatic choke carbs if you need one... I think every one of those ever made (except yours) got taken off and replaced with a real choke system ;)

Thanks Andy, but the one works fine and I have a bag of parts to fix the other one.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk now ya done done it. Looks like the only way I'm gonna collect more saws than you is to break into your saw shed and rob ya,LOLOL

Not to be outdone too far I must tell you my freebie 044 is much prettier than your two so ha, mine is like brand spanking new thank you,LOL I also picked up a nice 056 not long ago as well. I quit robbing the customers out of thier saws when they brought them in for repair a long time ago. Looks like I'm gonna have to start back up with the ole "why fix it, buy a new one and I'll buy your old one. This is war now Eddie, its on, I won't be able to sleep knowing your pulling way ahead of me now. I must go into extreme mode now just to be able to see your taillights,LOLOL

Eddie I'm gonna take a day off here pretty soon and head down your way again. This time I wanna see inside that shop of yours. Can't wait to see ya again and talk saws and Stihl, both our favorite subjects.

Come head on Tom, and we can sip a few on the new deck the wife has had me building the last few weeks.

attachment.php

I have to top done now and will start on the steps. It is 35 by 14 feet, so plenty of room. And now that the cold has finally come, I can get back in the shop!

Where did you find the backpack trimmer, it looks new.

Good collection you have been growing. Also nice to see your daughter likes to hang around her dad. just like mine.

Nice to chat with a fellow Texan, Just Mow. I grew up in Fort Worth and got an Aggie ring before I moved away. My folks live in Crowley just outside Ft Worth and so I get back once a year or so.
And yes it is nice that she likes to hang out with me, I cherish the time we spend together.

attachment.php

I remember working on the old Poulans when I had my shop in OK back in the '80s. Seems like they were pretty good saws. Can't think of much good to say about the old Homies though.

Thats a nice looking Poulan 245A. Not much in the way of chain speed, but gobs and gobs of torque. I like!:love1:

Last edited:
Nice deck there

I'm studing it real close trying to figure out how I can keep you on the deck while I sneak in the saw shop,LOL

Looks like you got all sorts of projects going on at once, your a busy bee man. I got the school schedule the other day and man you are gonna be working your butt off in 08. Keep up the good work man. One of the best things I ever did was attend that school. Learned more in 3 days than I had in years.

I got 3 weeks vacation to play with so I'm gonna check your school schedule and pick a time when your not teaching and come pester ya. Better lock the saw shed,LOL

I'm studing it real close trying to figure out how I can keep you on the deck while I sneak in the saw shop,LOL

Looks like you got all sorts of projects going on at once, your a busy bee man. I got the school schedule the other day and man you are gonna be working your butt off in 08. Keep up the good work man. One of the best things I ever did was attend that school. Learned more in 3 days than I had in years.

I got 3 weeks vacation to play with so I'm gonna check your school schedule and pick a time when your not teaching and come pester ya. Better lock the saw shed,LOL

I just gave you your second comet :cheers:

Nice to chat with a fellow Texan, Just Mow. I grew up in Fort Worth and got an Aggie ring before I moved away. My folks live in Crowley just outside Ft Worth and so I get back once a year or so.
And yes it is nice that she likes to hang out with me, I cherish the time we spend together.

My youngest daughter is sixteen and still likes to hang out with me. Loves all sports and fishing. My best friend indeed.

Nice pics. I'd love to share pics of my shop but I have about the same amount of stuff in about 1/8 as much shop. Not pretty. Just picked up a new demo hoffco brush clearing trimmer, it's not as cool as that backpack wormdrive trimmer you've got but it is bigger and cherry. Don't worry about Tommy, while he is pilfering your shop I'll be runnin off with his 051 and concrete saw. He did just reorganize his shop though and I probably wouldn't know were anything was.

Nice pics. I'd love to share pics of my shop but I have about the same amount of stuff in about 1/8 as much shop. Not pretty. Just picked up a new demo hoffco brush clearing trimmer, it's not as cool as that backpack wormdrive trimmer you've got but it is bigger and cherry. Don't worry about Tommy, while he is pilfering your shop I'll be runnin off with his 051 and concrete saw. He did just reorganize his shop though and I probably wouldn't know were anything was.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hey wait a minute, I'm suppose to be the robber in this saw collecting quest,LOLOL Guess I'm gonna have to take you with me down to see Eddie. I can't be having you sneaking in my shed while I'm sneaking in his. Hey you can keep Eddie occupied on his new deck, yeahhhhhhhhh, your coming with me big boy, I got a plan now,LOLOLOLOLOL

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hey wait a minute, I'm suppose to be the robber in this saw collecting quest,LOLOL Guess I'm gonna have to take you with me down to see Eddie. I can't be having you sneaking in my shed while I'm sneaking in his. Hey you can keep Eddie occupied on his new deck, yeahhhhhhhhh, your coming with me big boy, I got a plan now,LOLOLOLOLOL

Don't worry Hoss. I'll check it out for ya. I think there is an 041 in there that was once given to me.

Instead of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, it'll be the Silver Tongued Devil and Lenny the chainsaw goon on another whirlwind adventure. If I end up in the pokey first, you get the saws before you bail me out.:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't worry Hoss. I'll check it out for ya. I think there is an 041 in there that was once given to me.

With the new collecting war started by Eddie I'm now traveling the country trying to get back all the ones I gave away,LOLOLOL

Back