the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a nice little pile of Ironbark cut yesterday courtesy of the council, all the smaller rounds were taken.
Damn heavy lifting it onto my trailer but free hardwood I'm not complaining.
View attachment 399572

Lots of burnt marks from a hot chain
View attachment 399573

Looks like the council guys sure know how to sharpen a chain :D

Haha. Still remember a time as a pup, helping dad and a neighbour clean up a fallen tree. Neighbour was an old Dutch bloke (and all the stereotypes applied) and I was carting wood while the other two cut. At first it was three or four bits from dad to one from the old neighbour. After a while I stopped and watched the neighbour - he was about a third of the way through a cut and the saw wasn't going any further. Smoke was pouring out if the cut. So I tapped dad on the shoulder and got him to go and sharpen this guys chain.
Dad always used one of those horrible rotary stone things and he spent ages trying to explain that the chain was munted, but the old guy just begged him to sharpen it for him as a new chain or taking it to be sharpened was too expensive (and the one time he did get it sharpened they took half the tooth off). He was that excited when it half way cut when dad finished.
Now this old guy had sold an engineering business and a couple of big sheep properties to pay cash for a mega buck retirement property - think massive house, indoor pool, all the jazz on 300ac of primo 35" rainfall beef country......

A dull chain..no problem just lean on it harder :D
Now I have some decent size wood to test the 111s when my bar arrives, the chain oiler pickup filter was missing therefore the lines were plugged with crap.
The oil filler cap was a briggs and stratton tapered sump plug...didn't seal real well. Chain sprockets have been NLA for many years but I made one fit.
The kill switch was busted but a $5 one from Jaycar fixed that.

ah found a decent explanation how the sheep and vines work

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/bu...and-high-country/story-fnker6cv-1227126595270

SHOULD you drive past Ensay Winery, in the East Gippsland high country, and see a flock of sheep munching on the lush grapevines, don’t panic — there are no sheep escapees and no one forgot to lock the gate.

The sheep are actively encouraged to gnaw on the grape suckers and the undergrowth, thanks to an ingenious US system that owners David and Jenny Coy adapted.

“The summer of 2011 was very wet and it flooded everywhere,” David recalled. “We had massive growth that got away from us.

“I was reading an article in a grape growers’ magazine about a guy in the US who had developed a system where you didn’t need to slash or use herbicides and where you didn’t need to knock the suckers off trunks, instead relying entirely on sheep to do the work.

“We had always used sheep in the vineyard in winter but not in summer, the problem being how to stop them eating all the vines because they prefer that to the grass and weeds.”

Intrigued, David contacted the US grape grower, Kelly Mulville. In the winter of 2012 Kelly visited the Coys, staying four nights and helping them implement his system.

The result is a series of 7000-volt electric fences, about 90cm to a metre above the ground, with a wire on each side of the vine, surrounded by movable electric fences to keep stock in.

The $5000 system is based on the work of Kelly but incorporates Australian designs, especially Gallagher electric fence “hot tips”, and a Gallagher tester that identifies a wire when it shorts.

Been moving stuff into the new property, just want it to be over. Will post pics when the internet is connected there - been doing everything through the phone for the last 6 weeks or so and it's pissing me off. Have decided that I'll need a ride on mower since there's a lot of lawn area around the house and using the 5 ft slasher is a bit rough. :crazy: So any recommendations? A zero turn would be nice but I can't really justify that sort of coin, Also would prefer not to have a Briggs & Stratton motor, unfortunately most mowers come with those engines. :buttkick:

ah found a decent explanation how the sheep and vines work

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/bu...and-high-country/story-fnker6cv-1227126595270

SHOULD you drive past Ensay Winery, in the East Gippsland high country, and see a flock of sheep munching on the lush grapevines, don’t panic — there are no sheep escapees and no one forgot to lock the gate.

The sheep are actively encouraged to gnaw on the grape suckers and the undergrowth, thanks to an ingenious US system that owners David and Jenny Coy adapted.

“The summer of 2011 was very wet and it flooded everywhere,” David recalled. “We had massive growth that got away from us.

“I was reading an article in a grape growers’ magazine about a guy in the US who had developed a system where you didn’t need to slash or use herbicides and where you didn’t need to knock the suckers off trunks, instead relying entirely on sheep to do the work.

“We had always used sheep in the vineyard in winter but not in summer, the problem being how to stop them eating all the vines because they prefer that to the grass and weeds.”

Intrigued, David contacted the US grape grower, Kelly Mulville. In the winter of 2012 Kelly visited the Coys, staying four nights and helping them implement his system.

The result is a series of 7000-volt electric fences, about 90cm to a metre above the ground, with a wire on each side of the vine, surrounded by movable electric fences to keep stock in.

The $5000 system is based on the work of Kelly but incorporates Australian designs, especially Gallagher electric fence “hot tips”, and a Gallagher tester that identifies a wire when it shorts.

We'll give him some Fleabane, Innocent Weed, Caltrop, 3 Cornered Jack, and Bathurst Burr to see how his sheep go :)

A dull chain..no problem just lean on it harder :D
Now I have some decent size wood to test the 111s when my bar arrives, the chain oiler pickup filter was missing therefore the lines were plugged with crap.
The oil filler cap was a briggs and stratton tapered sump plug...didn't seal real well. Chain sprockets have been NLA for many years but I made one fit.
The kill switch was busted but a $5 one from Jaycar fixed that.
Not only lean on it harder, but also wind the "H" screw in half a turn for more chain speed, that way eventually the smoking engine will match the smoking bar..... Honestly some guys don't deserve machinery!

Not only lean on it harder, but also wind the "H" screw in half a turn for more chain speed, that way eventually the smoking engine will match the smoking bar..... Honestly some guys don't deserve machinery!

I thought winding the H screw in was mandatory for more power?

Hey Wayne. Can you pop one of those iron bark logs in the mail. Need to test out the 084 [emoji16][emoji106]
Vince ,No problem, If you pay the post cost first about $200 or I can do it express for $350 :D
You have my problem, get a big saw repaired but no big wood to test it on, but today I got lucky.

Latest posts

Back