the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been waiting for available funds for a 7901 Makita - they've just jumped 200-300 in price. Ouch. :( Not sure if it's worth getting a Dolmar from the US. Will have to do the sums.

Been waiting for available funds for a 7901 Makita - they've just jumped 200-300 in price. Ouch. :( Not sure if it's worth getting a Dolmar from the US. Will have to do the sums.

Just remember that unless you can find an old stock 7900 you'll be stuck with the newer 7910 with the "save the whales" muffler assembly to keep the EPA happy. Check out www.firstgeartrucks.com He has the original 7900's for USD $750. You won't find prices anywhere near that. He will add USD$100 for overseas orders though and then with postage and the exchange rate you'll be up for at least AUD$1300 by the time it arrives. Cheaper to go the Makita 7901, even though they've gone up. If you want a second hand 7900 with new big bore kit fitted and HD filter kit send me a PM.

i have a huskie 340 to work on and the bloke tells me it takes 11 pulls to get it started, each and every time. what would cause that? low compression? need a carby kit thru it? runs great otherwise reportedly.

Just remember that unless you can find an old stock 7900 you'll be stuck with the newer 7910 with the "save the whales" muffler assembly to keep the EPA happy. Check out www.firstgeartrucks.com He has the original 7900's for USD $750. You won't find prices anywhere near that. He will add USD$100 for overseas orders though and then with postage and the exchange rate you'll be up for at least AUD$1300 by the time it arrives. Cheaper to go the Makita 7901, even though they've gone up. If you want a second hand 7900 with new big bore kit fitted and HD filter kit send me a PM.

Duly noted. I've already bought a HD filter kit so I going to just buy a new saw. Will keep your 2nd handy in mind though.

i have a huskie 340 to work on and the bloke tells me it takes 11 pulls to get it started, each and every time. what would cause that? low compression? need a carby kit thru it? runs great otherwise reportedly.

Well if the man pulls it over 6 times then realises the switch is off, then 2 times on choke and 3 to fire probably not much.
But yea maybe not a lot wrong at all, without seeing the saw its hard to diagnose.

They like about 150psi of compression.
The choke lever can pop off the choke plate linkage, but then they don't normally start.

After that it's normal stuff, filters, hoses and leaks.

My thoughts would be chuck a kit through the carb and pick up filter. Sounds like a weak impulse to the carb or a pump diaphragm that's gone a bit hard if it's taking so many pulls to fire

Well if the man pulls it over 6 times then realises the switch is off, then 2 times on choke and 3 to fire probably not much.
But yea maybe not a lot wrong at all, without seeing the saw its hard to diagnose.
When you pull the choke out it pops the stop button up (rather good idea that) so theoretically you can't flood cause it's in the off mode.

When you pull the choke out it pops the stop button up (rather good idea that) so theoretically you can't flood cause it's in the off mode.

Yes I know his point, but was just being smart as I have had a bit to do with some of the later versions of husky's with and without auto tune.

I would recommend buying a husky :D
Great advise Rudi.

Yes I know his point, but was just being smart as I have had a bit to do with some of the later versions of husky's with and without auto tune.

Great advise Rudi.
ha ha. i've forgotten to turn my husky switch on a few times (after using stihls for years) and if you pull it more than half a dozen times you may as well walk away for 20 minutes cause there's no chance of starting it till it dries up! :angry:

Great advise Rudi.
Lol ok. I don't know if this switch arrangement is a common thing with husky's hence the dumb questions and answers.
Stripped most of it down now and nothing jumping out at me just yet as to why. The L needs a good fattening up tho!!

Back