the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aa23173985eb562967b1fdb170004042.jpg

http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=187

Being the weekend and all pulled my homeowner poulan chainsaw out for a run...42cc and about the same as a wild thing, and I cant lie its a POS!..
Had it from new few years now and every time I go to use it something else is wrong with it! (don't get me wrong no disrespect to old school Poulan chainsaws) but this new clamshell crap my god I give up I don't know what to say.... I've run it in summer a few times and it gets that hot the chassis gets soft and the clam shell moves around! personally I don't know what the go is when guys say they are just so awesome even Stihl and Husky copy all there groundbreaking feachers WTF?...Anyways all just IMHO....

I apologise in advance for my very crappy cinematic chity edited video LOL....oh yeah am low on the back not the 1st time or the last time I ever do that! ..as you can see in my video I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it from stalling out not fun that's for sure this thing is bout ready for the bin am over fixing it give me a trouble free ms170 any day the week.......

705298f8611c052af21c986ac7b639b0.jpg

Has anyone else tried the husky axes out? I got a hold of one a week ago and been putting it through the paces. They are similar to the fiskars with a fiber reinforced plastic handle. It does swing nicely and no vibration in the handle when you hit with it. I have split some iron bark with it and it does the job very well. Had a few chops with it answered it does the job. The one thing that I do like with this is the flat back on the head for hitting wedges, it doesn't stuff up the alloy wedges we use for falling trees like the fiskars do and once you find the sweet spot for hitting wedges it does drive them in. We have been abusing this one at work all week and still haven't broken the handle. So far it is getting the thumbs up from our crew.

I need a new splitter....but looking into this one it looks too much like the fiskars which I don't like to use in hardwood. This one in the pic is made by Gardena, the sprinkler manufacturer.

If anyone can recommend something with a 36" handle and plenty of weight in the head I'll be interested, and not break the bank.

Also a recommendation on a splitting wedge would be a help too.

Being the weekend and all pulled my homeowner poulan chainsaw out for a run...42cc and about the same as a wild thing, and I cant lie its a POS!..
Had it from new few years now and every time I go to use it something else is wrong with it! (don't get me wrong no disrespect to old school Poulan chainsaws) but this new clamshell crap my god I give up I don't know what to say.... I've run it in summer a few times and it gets that hot the chassis gets soft and the clam shell moves around! personally I don't know what the go is when guys say they are just so awesome even Stihl and Husky copy all there groundbreaking feachers WTF?...Anyways all just IMHO....

I apologise in advance for my very crappy cinematic chity edited video LOL....oh yeah am low on the back not the 1st time or the last time I ever do that! ..as you can see in my video I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it from stalling out not fun that's for sure this thing is bout ready for the bin am over fixing it give me a trouble free ms170 any day the week.......

Great review. On a scale of 1 to 10 I am guessing "feels like ****" is down the bottom.

what type of rifle mounted spot light do you use if you use one

edit dang AS sites gone wonkas

I been looking at these as few used popped up for around $500 dunno if really any good and i as lost interest plinking bunnies ATM its just passing thought

Night vision scope Make: Yukon Model: Photon XT 4.6x42S

private_ad.png
State: VIC
I just went with these from cleavers,View attachment 427546

havent tried any yet but for the price had to have them,far as I can tell they are nearly identical to the v-max but have a yellow tip and cannular same dens and coef

yeah saw these wondering if as good as half price what i pay for nosler only difference i see is nosler have a boat tail ass and that zombie packaging makes me squirme,,, but will get over that if POI as good. I tried heaps of other makes styles and pill weight to get my reload recipe right the dam pricey nosler seem to be best :(

bit sore n tools all day friday then 3 hours work out Saturday on saw blocking up a huge gum trunk barrel for next year fire wood as i reckon just not worthy $$ hire a splitta i can get super axe for $140 per day so i just just slice n dice with my mob small saws while dreaming of 661 as slowly chew away..

derick power lines have a automatic re-closers especially in rural areas
re-closers restore power three times before locking out
they do this because the assumption is it is a tree branch touching the line in a high wind
once a reloser locks out they are reset and closed by the control room unless tipple 0 or other emg service has notified them it it is a live line on the ground.
live line rescue is that we do not gone up the pole until the victim has been fried three times and the control room has confirmed the line has been locked out.
too many what if's to cover in a short rant. example the line you are working on is de energised and earthed but another line above you has fallen on to your line and is killing your team member that is up top
it takes time to get the other line turned off etc
average rescue is 15 minutes, best practice is 7 minutes and only ever achieved in training when everything is going perfect

yes agree my target rescue time was 7 minutes but as did not have in my phone network emg number the poor victim cooked. i am unsure about single wire earth return SWER 12600 volts the network to farm shed pumps stuff. i think new stuff has good suppression recloser systems ARC and some old ones dont or its OCR that may not work 100% as lines can cover very long length so a fault may not be detected.

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Portals/0/About ESV/Files/RoyalCommission/ACR_report.pdf

edit dang AS sites gone wonkas

I been looking at these as few used popped up for around $500 dunno if really any good and i as lost interest plinking bunnies ATM its just passing thought

Night vision scope Make: Yukon Model: Photon XT 4.6x42S

private_ad.png
State: VIC

yeah saw these wondering if as good as half price what i pay for nosler only difference i see is nosler have a boat tail ass and that zombie packaging makes me squirme,,, but will get over that if POI as good. I tried heaps of other makes styles and pill weight to get my reload recipe right the dam pricey nosler seem to be best :(

Don't bother with the cheap nightvision mate. If you can't get Gen 3 stuff (spendy) I'd simply go a decent LED torch as shown above. I had a guy recently show me his hand held infra red dooflacky that he bought off eBay for $1500. He was as proud as punch. Personally I thought it was crap :) Only good to about 100m and had a really tight spot. Might be OK if you're a stalker or pervert but that's about it.

The 1140 series farm boss' now have the bottom part of the 'shell formed into the actual saw body its self so when you pull one apart it splits then not like the old style ones that you could pull the whole assy out and the split it. Not sure if the 1143 series woodboss has the same set up but will find out this week when I pull a straight fueled 251 down

I need a new splitter....but looking into this one it looks too much like the fiskars which I don't like to use in hardwood. This one in the pic is made by Gardena, the sprinkler manufacturer.

If anyone can recommend something with a 36" handle and plenty of weight in the head I'll be interested, and not break the bank.

The old style Stihl splitting maul/hamer are pretty weighty and have a nice long handle the helko I've got I find good too even though the handle is a bit shorter

705298f8611c052af21c986ac7b639b0.jpg

Has anyone else tried the husky axes out? I got a hold of one a week ago and been putting it through the paces. They are similar to the fiskars with a fiber reinforced plastic handle. It does swing nicely and no vibration in the handle when you hit with it. I have split some iron bark with it and it does the job very well. Had a few chops with it answered it does the job. The one thing that I do like with this is the flat back on the head for hitting wedges, it doesn't stuff up the alloy wedges we use for falling trees like the fiskars do and once you find the sweet spot for hitting wedges it does drive them in. We have been abusing this one at work all week and still haven't broken the handle. So far it is getting the thumbs up from our crew.

I got this old cheap banger. Spent an hour or 2 on it with the angle grinder, file and stone and it's a gun splitter.

20 inch bar 59cc vs 42inch dia log, it took some time and effort but got it done

View attachment 427873
View attachment 427874

2016 -17 fire wood ready just lump it stack it split the chunks,,,,, so guess a few hours off ready

View attachment 427875

When I drop the really big ones and they're on the ground I cut 4/5ths of the way through them then use a big crow bar and split the cuts straight out of it....Works a treat mostly and makes the log 100 times easier to spin over....give it a try if you haven't already.

I got this old cheap banger. Spent an hour or 2 on it with the angle grinder, file and stone and it's a gun splitter.

I've have done the same with a Hart 8# and a Oska 6#, certainly fixes them up and they definitely work a treat:chop:. I use the Hart in post rip racing and it is a good back up for the 10# sledge if I break a handle and to bust the post off that last little bit if needed. I like the husky one for bush work and it is light enough to carry around from tree to tree, drives a wedge well, and I also use it for barking spotty poles.
Nice few Spotted Gums and maybe a debarked red ironbark in the background? looks to have been growing in hard going with the lack of sapwood on the gum would be nice timber to mill slower growing always is...
The old man has always said spotted gum sapwood makes the best axe handles?..
As for the husky axe never used one our seen one but looks hell of a lot better than the fiskars good for nothing thingamajiggy there to light for Aussie hardwood IMHO.... That husky axe looks the goods to me will have to get one to try....
well spotted on the Iron Bark, Narrow Leaf Red Iron BArk, and yea, linda ordinary country, it was logged about 25yrs ago by the same crew that I work for, two of the cutters have stamped stumps around the place from the last time. The majority of the wood we cut is SPG then NRI, right now the NRI is barking well so we are hitting it pretty heavy atm, poles are barking finally but that means Spotty logs are barking to easily, slippery buggers when loading a truck up

The wedges made by Hart and sold at Bunnings have been showing up around the racing circuit lately, with a bit of time on the angle grinder they come up nicely. The rise in the length of the wedge is very close to wedges I race with.

Back