the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone made a spud gun? Am thinking about one for a throw-weight launcher to get a throw-line into trees. Youtube shows some hair spray types that have heaps of power, some too much power. Others use a bike pump to create the pressure and that might be easier to control how far the weight flies.

Or, I could buy a water balloon slingshot launcher, fab a set of horns, find some tubing, and try to make a 'big shot' launcher.

ha
Anyone made a spud gun? Am thinking about one for a throw-weight launcher to get a throw-line into trees. Youtube shows some hair spray types that have heaps of power, some too much power. Others use a bike pump to create the pressure and that might be easier to control how far the weight flies.

Or, I could buy a water balloon slingshot launcher, fab a set of horns, find some tubing, and try to make a 'big shot' launcher.
have you seen the big shot launcher youtube it you might like that one I think its the go

Thanks. Yeah, seen that but they are not cheap. $170 just for the head
BigShotHead_Lg.jpg

But I'm thinking about buying a water balloon launcher for $35
218521832.jpg

Then make up a set of horns like the big shot but ones that will take the handles on the balloon launcher, mount it to the end of an extension pole (will drill some holes to pin the sections so they don't collapse under load), and perhaps come up with some sort of trigger mechanism.

But it's not as much fun as the spud gun type of launcher. Am not sure how easy it is to aim the spud guns.

a few diy ideas here the industry stuff is good pricey but good if you go diy need to find all the components from right weight bag string line and rubber bands can be tricky to get all just right

Thanks. I've had years of hand throwing (didn't know there was any other way) and am OK at it (I've won more $ than lost, when betting with farmers and home owners about if I can get the line up into that particular crotch) but it sucks when the only 'window' means getting close to the trunk and still need to go a good way up. Or worse, when I need to do that multiple times to clear all the branches around that point of the trunk.

I guess two things I'm worried about are aim and power control. I hate it when I get the perfect throw but had too much power behind it and it flies over many problem branches and is a prick to get off them and when I do it recoils back over the branch I was originally targeting. Or after many attempts I finally get it on target but not enough power and it hits the crotch when another 4" of height would have been perfect.

Thanks. I've had years of hand throwing (didn't know there was any other way) and am OK at it (I've won more $ than lost, when betting with farmers and home owners about if I can get the line up into that particular crotch) but it sucks when the only 'window' means getting close to the trunk and still need to go a good way up. Or worse, when I need to do that multiple times to clear all the branches around that point of the trunk.

I guess two things I'm worried about are aim and power control. I hate it when I get the perfect throw but had too much power behind it and it flies over many problem branches and is a prick to get off them and when I do it recoils back over the branch I was originally targeting. Or after many attempts I finally get it on target but not enough power and it hits the crotch when another 4" of height would have been perfect.
I throw like Forrest Gump does differential equations, so bought an apta - I'll take any measurements you like. When I looked at building it I struggled to find seamless tube for the barrel or a big enough reamer.
It's very easy to avoid over shooting, just run the line through my left hand and grab it at the correct height.

252d9efcb28441779392c9dffeeddb66.jpg

Woo-hoo, I made it home with a lathe, [emoji3] now I need to shoe horn it into the shed so I can return the trailer in the morning

Good score Will, ours is simular to that one. Where is the overhead gear mate, oh I see its been modified and is on the other side with the motor low. Our one has a row of holes under neath at the front with a slide bar type handle for the threading gear, in which I was never taught how to work. My father could cut threads like slicing cake with a knife, I am yet to have a go at that. I can see a few stuffed up cylinders learning the secrets to cylinder machining.
Hint,,,, keep the fridge handy as I can see a lot of hours being done in front of it.....

Good score Will, ours is simular to that one. Where is the overhead gear mate, oh I see its been modified and is on the other side with the motor low. Our one has a row of holes under neath at the front with a slide bar type handle for the threading gear, in which I was never taught how to work. My father could cut threads like slicing cake with a knife, I am yet to have a go at that. I can see a few stuffed up cylinders learning the secrets to cylinder machining.
Hink,,,, keep the fridge handy as I can see a lot of hours being done in front of it.....
Many hours ahead of me mate, I'll need a bigger fridge [emoji3]

They just need to keep my fridge full [emoji6]

Speeking saws, I was asked if I had any spare 125 petrol tanks,,,,, oh dear there may be a mac stepping into the arena soon. I told him if he puts one in I will do the same just for sh*ts and giggles.
Oh and that's a great idea with the fridge, time will answer that one for you.

Latest posts

Back