the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The acid in eucs destroys the sauno kilns. But that's only what I've read on the internet. Might pay to give Anthony at logosol oz a call. Haven't spoken with him but have been in contact via email a few times and he doesn't strike me as the BS-ing type.

Are you short of firewood drying space and need the faster throughput? If not, nothing beats mother nature, just means longer between work and payment.

If $ were no option, a vacuum kiln would be on my list.

Probably not a secret to you guys but I used kero and a 100-grit belt on a cheap belt sander to clean up my bars. Worked very well. So quick.

Wanted to use jenolite on a few to keep the rust at bay but it seems like it's not for sale in NZ any more. Bought some online and hope NZ Customs doesn't have a problem with it when it comes through.

The acid in eucs destroys the sauno kilns. But that's only what I've read on the internet. Might pay to give Anthony at logosol oz a call. Haven't spoken with him but have been in contact via email a few times and he doesn't strike me as the BS-ing type.

Are you short of firewood drying space and need the faster throughput? If not, nothing beats mother nature, just means longer between work and payment.

If $ were no option, a vacuum kiln would be on my list.
thanks for the acid tip

I'm selling recoved house jarrah and my private stash of gum from last 3-6 years
Just demand for bigger pieces that the 4x2 and such timberframe stuff
If I can turn green trees dry in weeks then I can move it off each winter
block is only 2000m2, Have the room for private fire but not to store for 3Y+ to sell 20-30 loads in winter based on what I've sold so far

Probably not a secret to you guys but I used kero and a 100-grit belt on a cheap belt sander to clean up my bars. Worked very well. So quick.

Wanted to use jenolite on a few to keep the rust at bay but it seems like it's not for sale in NZ any more. Bought some online and hope NZ Customs doesn't have a problem with it when it comes through.
i used a kitchen Stainless appliance cleaner with success on grubby 200t @14" bars
that i found in grans leftovers box

thanks for the acid tip

I'm selling recoved house jarrah and my private stash of gum from last 3-6 years
Just demand for bigger pieces that the 4x2 and such timberframe stuff
If I can turn green trees dry in weeks then I can move it off each winter
block is only 2000m2, Have the room for private fire but not to store for 3Y+ to sell 20-30 loads in winter based on what I've sold so far
Are you wanting the kiln for lumber or just firewood? If the latter, is there any land you could lease to dry the firewood that is still secure enough to not have the wood go walkabout?
If Lumber, might pay to check their drying schedules for Oz hardwood. I don't think they'll take it green, rather air-dried. So not likely to be a few weeks from green to dried. Well, not without turning the lumber into firewood :)

Are you wanting the kiln for lumber or just firewood? If the latter, is there any land you could lease to dry the firewood that is still secure enough to not have the wood go walkabout?
If Lumber, might pay to check their drying schedules for Oz hardwood. I don't think they'll take it green, rather air-dried. So not likely to be a few weeks from green to dried. Well, not without turning the lumber into firewood :)
some lumber usage
to place on lathe before 4-10 years go by
and csm slabs as well. will see what @BobL thinks/might want as well

WD40 would work.. and/or Lanotec.

some lumber usage
to place on lathe before 4-10 years go by
and csm slabs as well. will see what @BobL thinks/might want as well

For firewood 2yrs outdoors would be fine. If you want it dried faster cut it into 300mm lengths and or stick it in a dam for 6 to 8 weeks and then let it air dry for 4 to 5 months...will be pretty dry by then.

The Australian firewood association (forgotten their proper name) say their members must dry to at least 25% moisture content for commercial sales. You'll get this at about a year, some a bit longer. At two years you should be under 20% for most firewood cut into lengths when felled.

I've moisture tested some of my firewood and it can vary quite a bit though. I've got stringy and forest redgum that's 12 months old and some of it already well under 25% and some of the logs from the same trees were closer to 30%....different grain and slightly different storage is all I can guess at.

ok so dont buy a Land Rover.....

Ive just spent 5hrs (and still not finished) trying to remove seam sealer (some sort of silicon or such) off all the over lapping seams on a Defender firewall. Mine has Rust in it and would be a bugger to repair even if removed. Also this is my only vehicle so swapping will be quicker than remove - repair - reinstall. Im getting this one HD Gal'd. SO I stripped all the bits off it and took it to the sand blasters......dip ***** didnt tell me that it would not remove the seam sealer. Now the seam sealer is in the places where you have 2 or 3 pieces of sheet metal over lapping (corners etc) These are where anything like that will rust first and needs the gal around it the most!

I could have a better hobbie thats for sure!

pays to recycle & scrounge

at the tip, im on the scrounge for a bit of bar oil, i spy the recycle oil bay and poke around in a corner a box has 2, 4litre paks of new unused shell helix & 1/2 dozen un opened 1 litre paks of engine, tranny & gear box oils a litre of tecnon antifrezze a litre of truck wash & hand full of power steer brake fluid & window wash bottles,,, then next to this a box look inside,, 250ml bottles of herbicides MCPA roundup and dye easy $200 bucks of value went in the back of the ute

Last week my gun club asked me to source some grass seed as come spring we need to turf a new mound and mantle,,, ok i find out 10kg rye seed can be $150-$400 bucks so ponder this then call a golf course cobber i know,, um you got any old seed you dont need or is past used by,,, uh huh yup come on down i get given 20kg of rye grass sure its old but well stored & what the heck a 50% strike rate should be good at free price...

Back