the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twenty minutes to make Rudi

DSCF3235.jpg

Righto Al, you have inspired me!

:cheers:

you forgot the 381, might be an old design and a bit heavy but at least it aint a clamshell

They're actually quite a capable saw those things. A guy bought a 30" bar off me for one and he's running 3/8" skip semi chisel no problems in our dead hardwood. It's been going for a few years now. Still pretty expensive though for what they are. I think he paid around $1300.

Also guys Stihl have a cashback deal going at the moment.
With some of the pricing I've seen on their 660's it would definately not be worthwhile importing one considering you'd have to fit the HO oiler and dual port muffler to get a US saw up to Aussie spec.
$200 cash back on the MS261, MS291, MS311, MS391, and MS362 and a $300 cashback on the MS660.
MS660 should come in around $1450 and at least have a full warranty. You'd be lucky to land a US MS660 here and spec it out for $1350.

Last edited:
well after looking at the manual about the clam shell, it makes me think of problems that may arise later
how reliable is this sort of design and do others have problem because of it
regards peter

Thats not a bad deal Matt, that would drop the MS261 to just over the grand. Shame the MS241 isnt in the listing, as I think that will be the next saw after the MS441 that is on its way to me

(Grins like a kid on the night before Xmas.......watch this space).

Graham

well after looking at the manual about the clam shell, it makes me think of problems that may arise later
how reliable is this sort of design and do others have problem because of it
regards peter

They're a very reliable design it's just that the general build quality is harder and more time consuming to fix if something goes wrong. The design also lends itself to a homeowner style saw that isn't as capable as it's pro built cousins. This does not mean though that they can't take punishment. The most abused saws I've ever seen that you would think shouldn't even still be running are the homeowner range of Stihls.

sorry about asking sooo many qs, so you wont find that design in the pro saws, ive stipulated to them that i dont want plastic as i found out that some saws have a plastic crank case. most of my cutting is in rocky ground, dont fancy dopping the saw on a rock with a plastic saw
regards peter

sorry about asking sooo many qs, so you wont find that design in the pro saws, ive stipulated to them that i dont want plastic as i found out that some saws have a plastic crank case. most of my cutting is in rocky ground, dont fancy dopping the saw on a rock with a plastic saw
regards peter

There are a few saws classed as "pro" that are clamshell designs such as Stihl's MS192T. You're probably less likely to crack the crankcase than you are the clutch cover etc. It would want to be a big rock :)

I prepped myself by running the father in law's 029 for a few hours yesterday with an 18" bar and super blunt chain. I refused to use his 12v Stihl grinder to sharpen it and he doesn't have any files. I'm running at 92.34% efficiency :D

You want me to chuck another .325 2 in 1 in the post???? :msp_tongue:

I see the Stihl Australia website has the STIHL HP Ultra high-performance engine oil (fully synthetic) on there.

yeh have already asked the tech guys about this if its a miss post or if its on its way. I already have the HP stuff in 100ml shots at the shop, the red gear we've had it for years

yeh have already asked the tech guys about this if its a miss post or if its on its way. I already have the HP stuff in 100ml shots at the shop, the red gear we've had it for years

I have wondered what those 100ml shots where... thanks for clearing that up.

You want me to chuck another .325 2 in 1 in the post???? :msp_tongue:

Hah hah. I actually used the .325" setup on his 3/8" chain and it actually worked OK (better than his grinder). I ended up pulling the pin cutting with the old 029 due to rain. And because that saw has been flogged half to death. He's already asked me to pull 3DL out of a 66DL chain and the cutters are still 80%! That sort of shows his sharpening ability :(

I have wondered what those 100ml shots where... thanks for clearing that up.

Red Bull Rudy. Gives you wings.

And stuff...

homelite eks 1400 chainsaw

I got this for free and put a new carlton chain on it.
attachment.php

And did the one on the left
attachment.php

And this happened
attachment.php

attachment.php

So I did this put a stihl bar on it
attachment.php

And did the one on the right
attachment.php

The stihl bar did not get hot but that wood is hard

Hah hah. I actually used the .325" setup on his 3/8" chain and it actually worked OK (better than his grinder). I ended up pulling the pin cutting with the old 029 due to rain. And because that saw has been flogged half to death. He's already asked me to pull 3DL out of a 66DL chain and the cutters are still 80%! That sort of shows his sharpening ability :(

Red Bull Rudy. Gives you wings.

And stuff...

What a saw, Matt i'd say just as well it rained or that powerful 029 was going to scare you big time, thats after you got it going and actualy cut something.
Chain stretch by 3 links, big power and theres no other way to discribe it so performance mods are not required.
My gear can't do that, not a chance in hell.

just a bit of usless trivia to brighten your day Matt, hope that shoulder mends soon.

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;GjvsZIXKS_E]http://youtu.be/GjvsZIXKS_E[/video]

If I was you David I'd probably send it off to Brad Snelling to get modded and also look at square filing that chain. It looks like it's making too much dust. You can hear by how quiet it is that the motor is getting pretty choked up so I'd drill a few extra holes in the muffler if I was you. It also looks like it's running lean as I didn't see one hint of smoke, apart from the chain and bar tip.

What a saw, Matt i'd say just as well it rained or that powerful 029 was going to scare you big time, thats after you got it going and actualy cut something.
Chain stretch by 3 links, big power and theres no other way to discribe it so performance mods are not required.
My gear can't do that, not a chance in hell.

just a bit of usless trivia to brighten your day Matt, hope that shoulder mends soon.

Good point Neil and excessive power was not something I had considered in regard to chain stretch. It also didn't hurt my shoulder to pull it over as it only has about 2psi of compression left. If it had even 0.1hp more it would scare the father-in-law too much for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back