the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a sad reality but how are local manufacturers supposed to survive with all the cheaper imports and no body staying loyal to locally produced products! It's hard to pay tripple for a item locally when you can buy it overseas for cheaper! So do we drop our wages to compete? Even if we agreed to that like our cost of living will follow suit! We're screwed either way

Very true but some countries have tariffs on imported goods.
This would even up the playing field somewhat if it were implemented.
I could not understand why in 2006 or so we had a record number of offshore oil drilling rigs in this country.
Then I heard that some countries had wised up and instead of getting $1.00 per barrel for oil pulled out of their country, they raised the stakes much higher.
Australia is still, come and get it, give us some jobs in the short time and extract our mineral wealth and take the profits offshore.
Then on top of the few jobs we get , the big players bring in foreign workers on visa's to lower the costs down, so yes, I agree with you.
We are really stuffed.

Bob...I was going to ban you for this post and your complaining about site moderation. I'm sorry...I got busy and forgot so I'll just take care of it now.. Please excuse the delay. With your accumulated infraction points your next banning will probably be permanent.
Have a nice vacation.

It must be a real good place this "VACATION".
I believe you should rename it "BOB's RETREAT.

Very true but some countries have tariffs on imported goods.
This would even up the playing field somewhat if it were implemented.
I could not understand why in 2006 or so we had a record number of offshore oil drilling rigs in this country.
Then I heard that some countries had wised up and instead of getting $1.00 per barrel for oil pulled out of their country, they raised the stakes much higher.
Australia is still, come and get it, give us some jobs in the short time and extract our mineral wealth and take the profits offshore.
Then on top of the few jobs we get , the big players bring in foreign workers on visa's to lower the costs down, so yes, I agree with you.
We are really stuffed.

I agree. The fact is that our government is quite happy to reduce or delete tarriffs on imported goods despite the countries where we export OUR gear leaving tarriffs in place.
For example I'm an accredited inspector for exported citrus to the US and also Japan, Korea, and China. The US isn't quite so bad, but anytime you try to get fruit into Asia they do everything in their power to shaft you. Even to the point that Korea had a list of quarantinable pests. That was fine as few of the insects on that list were in abundance in our region, quite unusual in fact.
Anyway, when the fruit arrived all of a sudden the Koreans have stated that their "list" is actually the pests that they accept! Absolute joke and in complete contradiction to every other export market we'd dealt with previously. Every single time we send fruit there they pass inspections at our end, going through a whole heap of post harvest treatments to kill pests outlined by THEM, only to arrive overseas and have pests suddenly appear.
I could go on and on where the Australian government has done deals with somebody like China where we'll take their *insert fruit here* and they'll take our Apples. One deal done a number of years ago saw a swag of imported fruit land from China in Australia, yet not one single Apple of ours made it to China as there "was always something wrong".
In Australia we bend over and take it every day, our opposition doesn't bend over for anybody.

We have a saying where I work which is quite funny. Every now and then we'll get pressure from up the chain to push a certain brand of product from a company we've never heard of. The going joke is that "somebody in management must have got a new set of golf clubs" and it's dead true.
I've seen some of the Asian groups come over to inspect our produce and the quality of the product has absolutely nothing to do with sealing the deal. The deal is only signed off on when you've given them plenty of gifts such as wine and paid for basically a full tourist circuit of the region. Then they go off to the next sucker and if they happen to buy them more gifts or give them a better holiday then they end up in the box seat.

Unfortunately Matt, I have to agree with what you just posted.
When I was a bit younger, it was said that Japan brought our woodchips and in return, we purchased their cars.
You state China and our fruit, don't forget that especially WA and QLD exports sooo much iron ore and coaking coal to China for their steel mills
These are deals done which most of Australians would not even comprehend, that we are on a global market, true but, shonky deals are done , none the less so some polly can retire on their over inflated benefits for the rest of their lives while most of the population struggle.
:msp_scared:

Unfortunately Matt, I have to agree with what you just posted.
When I was a bit younger, it was said that Japan brought our woodchips and in return, we purchased their cars.
You state China and our fruit, don't forget that especially WA and QLD exports sooo much iron ore and coaking coal to China for their steel mills
These are deals done which most of Australians would not even comprehend, that we are on a global market, true but, shonky deals are done , none the less so some polly can retire on their over inflated benefits for the rest of their lives while most of the population struggle.
:msp_scared:

Too true mate. I gave a horticultural perspective from what I've seen but that would be completely insignificant when compared to mining deals. Whenever you see some of these mindblowing transactions and ask yourself "How in the hell did a stupid deal like that get through?" just remember my golf club comment :cheers:
I remember a good one from Bob Katter when he said "Free Trade is excellent but not when we are the only ones doing it".

I've seen certain agronomists in my time who will relentlessly push certain products with no real scientific or even profitability reason to show why. You then dig a bit deeper and find that they have been taken overseas or are out for tea every week with these company representatives. Part of our contract states that any "gift" over $100 from any rep has to be disclosed to our employers. I flatly refuse anything outside of lunch or dinner but I know guys that have been overseas on "study tours" which have been fully funded by liquid fertiliser companies under the proviso that they continue to promote and sell their products regardless of the price of the product or the science behind it.

Last edited:
So true Matt you'd be amazed at the corruption involved in guys that are in charge of tenders for projects we try to get in the building game! They earn 90k salary and probably double if not tripple that in bribes!

Anyhoo I need advice fellas I need a firewood box/bucket metal tub something for inside my house to sit next to the fireplace! I am sorter bored of the whole timber blanket box! Was thinking large diameter pipe welded together forming a figure 8 but not sure we're to get large diameter pipe cheap!!!

So true Matt you'd be amazed at the corruption involved in guys that are in charge of tenders for projects we try to get in the building game! They earn 90k salary and probably double if not tripple that in bribes!

Don't get me started mate! A really good friend of mine is the procurement officer for a major Adelaide council and she is constantly amazed at how the higher priced tenders get the jobs. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to work it out and it has nothing to do with the quality or speed of their work either.

Anyhoo I need advice fellas I need a firewood box/bucket metal tub something for inside my house to sit next to the fireplace! I am sorter bored of the whole timber blanket box! Was thinking large diameter pipe welded together forming a figure 8 but not sure we're to get large diameter pipe cheap!!!

Depends on where you are, offshore drilling casing or offcuts can usually be had for the odd slab or two.
Try plant and equipment mag.
Actually, go around the engineering places, usually offcuts from major jobs or Tubemakers etc can be had from the guys for a slab as it only ends up in the scrap metal bin anyway.
Just takes a little bit of phoning up , that's all

My mate works for a large company and is only allowed to order parts from certain suppliers, he went to order a part got quoted 450 rang a random supplier they priced it near half and that was without him haggling! Brought it up with his superiors as to why not buy from other suppliers and it all got brushed under the carpet! And he was told he can only order from existing suppliers, in a company whose crying poor and introducing cost cutting its amazing how everyone's bloody on the take

My mate works for a large company and is only allowed to order parts from certain suppliers, he went to order a part got quoted 450 rang a random supplier they priced it near half and that was without him haggling! Brought it up with his superiors as to why not buy from other suppliers and it all got brushed under the carpet! And he was told he can only order from existing suppliers, in a company whose crying poor and introducing cost cutting its amazing how everyone's bloody on the take

Hows this, our offshore company had so many offspring companys.
They buy the goods from one of the other offshoot companies, pay inflated prices and then claim it as a tax deduction while the other company makes huge profits.
Don't ask me how the merry go goes around but somehow for tax reasons, they have it worked out compared to the little guy

Ahhh so this is where all the Aussies are knockin about! Gidday been a member for a while but have not spent a whole lot of time here

I'm a piss tank and a pervert and I'm not very bright buy that's enough about me :jester: I added a few of my saws in my sig just now

I see you do bar dressing? I have bar dressing machine in the shed in need of a new sanding belt and a couple of new grinding discs any idea where I can pick those up from?

I see you do bar dressing? I have bar dressing machine in the shed in need of a new sanding belt and a couple of new grinding discs any idea where I can pick those up from?

Nah I don't use a dressing machine. Just simple Vallorbe bar dressers with files. If the rails have been work hardened and the file won't touch them I use a flap sanding disk on a grinder to take the edges back then true them up with the dresser.

Last edited:
Rick

If that's who I think it is he drives a Defender 110 ?

I reckon - Chris?

He's now on the wrong side of the country, mad b'ard left port Melbourne last weekend on Saturday morning, say 7am off a boat crossing and was in Perth by midnight est Sunday. 1 driver and about 2 hours sleep.

Few things he has to fix now too.

Back