the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
these things are made better than i was expecting

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yeah wish I had my adapter with me for the 390xp, but i'll have to fab something up for the stihl mount bar.

hi guys, quick question
ive seen poeple refer to saws as a CLAM SHELL could some one explain please
and what is the differance between them and others that are not
regards peter

these things are made better than i was expecting

Yeah they are made well mate if they're the ones from Baileys.

Yeah wish I had my adapter with me for the 390xp, but i'll have to fab something up for the stihl mount bar.

Easy Rudy. What I've done is keep old worn out HV mount (9mm) bars then I just cut the bar slot out and spot weld it into the 12mm Stihl slot. A small guage steel strip would work the same.
Works a treat and less rooting around that using a spacer. All the oil holes, bar tail size etc etc are exactly the same. I've also done it to the 14mm SLD mount bars to fit my 9mm 3120 (photo below). Somebody with a mig or TIG would do a lot nicer job. I used a 130A DC Arc.
Of course this theory doesn't work if you intend to swap bars between Huskies and Stihls...

010520122270-1.jpg

Phew just booked dear wife and daughter no 2 on tour trip to Europe farkin heck i,m now a pretty good source of info on flights and EU tour deals.

Git this melb london $1318 per seat return 27 hr 2 stops on Royal Brunei next is China air (but not going there) and after this it goes up to $2k or $3k plus one quote wus $6k just to git 2 to london and back NFW....

This is all good as daughter one been Europe twice last 2 years exchange student so now yippie I,m free to take son to USA next year. Family got a house in NC Appalachians hills that needs a check on and dollar so good I gotta git on do some travelin

hi guys, quick question
ive seen poeple refer to saws as a CLAM SHELL could some one explain please
and what is the differance between them and others that are not
regards peter

this is a clamshell insted of the jug bolting on to the crankcase it bolts together with the crank in place and then it is bolted into a plastic body

attachment.php

others will chime in and give a better explanation than me

thanks for putting up the pics, and are you saying that the barrel bolts onto the plastic crank case
if so, what other saws are built like that, i dont want one of those when they replace mine with a new one
regards peter

thanks for putting up the pics, and are you saying that the barrel bolts onto the plastic crank case
if so, what other saws are built like that, i dont want one of those when they replace mine with a new one
regards peter

this is just current models every thing other than the 200t 201t 241 261 362 441 460 660 880 OK what have i forgot fellars

this is just current models every thing other than the 200t 201t 241 261 362 441 460 660 880 OK what have i forgot fellars

Yeah thats a good summary Darren, pretty much everything else in the stihl line up is clamshell/plastic

nope didn't forget the 381 deliberately left it out i was going for a more modern saw

i spose all the stihls are old designs except the strados

Last edited:
i can see that working on these new saws is going to be real great for some one that hasnt even seen one
i can see the shop making money out of me later
regards peter

Latest posts

Back