the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used some again on the weekend in some dry burnt wood and no issues with chains stretching or bars getting hot didn't have the pump even turned up on the 661 either and didn't many penguins but did cave in a couple fox holes in the ute. Chain stretch I have found to have reduced noticeably with my 25" hard nose bar. I've even had blokes who usually get chains shortened and they're not now and they're still cutting the same snotty paddock wood. Like everything until some one does an actual bench test in controlled conditions it's all very subjective same as 2 stroke oil threads and chain preferences. So in my experience and feed back I have gotten back from customers who I have offered to get alternate lubes if after actually using it they are still not happy with it I have not had any yet and they have ended up buying it again

My only reservations is that Stihl can manufacture a thinner bar oil that works well across all countries in all wood under all temperatures. It seems to defeat the laws of viscosity :) From an inventory point of view having only one global line of a certain product makes sense, regardless of whether it's ideal across all countries/timbers or not.
Time will tell though. Germans are a smart bunch but they are also experts at marketing products that may or may not be needed.
I have a multitude of companies trying to sell me the latest and greatest product on earth every week so I do tend to get a bit sceptical about certain things. Some are very convincing as they are well trained and versed in high level marketing as after all that's their job. Sadly I've done all the "Sales Plus" BS training so know how that side works.
The old "it's of a higher quality so you can use less" line is marketing 101. Sometimes it's true but 90% of the time it's not.
I'm sure somewhere in Australia Stihl have dropped some into full time firewood cutters or forestry guys for testing. They've been testing their latest saws so you'd think they'd have been testing their oil too. That's the true test and they're the guys we really need to hear from.
Not having a crack mate (you know me) but more of an open air discussion.

Well,,,,, I think that depends, like for instance,
-- who done the porting ????
-- bla bla bla.

--then of coarse there's the ''expert'' porters who can do wonders to their toy then proudly display it on a shelf and tell everyone just how good it goes, or perhaps take a few snap's all shiny and such.

--also the '' average jo'' porter, he just has a little fiddle here and there and is happy if it showed any sign of improvement.

yawn, I once saw a chap who had a deg wheel, wasn't he the goods, not sure he knew where to put it but he sounded like he knew...

You forgot the T Shirts...

Oh and chainsaws don't have wheels you silly man...

Ported 661 not worth it huh?

Hasn't anyone produced colored dyno charts showing a 40% or so improvement in buyers regret reduction?

On the oil note, works fine in the dry stuff have to reduce oil flow in the wet stuff, it seems to be stickier than the old oil....lots more wet dust sticking to everything I've found.

On the oil note, works fine in the dry stuff have to reduce oil flow in the wet stuff, it seems to be stickier than the old oil....lots more wet dust sticking to everything I've found.

Interesting that it's stickier yet needs less flow. Those two terms are generally not mutually inclusive :)

I've been using the Stihl thinner bar oil, seems to work ok, though my 562 absolutely pours it out, going to turn it down a little....

It doesn't work in Huskies you moron as they're not German :( Lucky you didn't kill yourself...

It would be interesting to do a cost comparison. If you need half the oil but it's twice the price then all good. In my area for instance the only bar oil you can pretty well buy from a dealer is the Stihl gear so not much choice anyway.

Please explain,,,,,, ''chainsaws don't have wheels'' don't they ?????

Yea the T shirts,,,, forgot that makes all the difference.

You mentioned something about "degree wheels".
I gather they are something like Centrelines, Sunraysias, or the good old chromies?

Oh and being a Stihl owner he'll claim that his bar is longer than the Husky owner's bar despite being the same driveline count :D
Yes the old 3005 mount '16" and 18"' bars which are about 1" short... I've found it varies abit with husky bars too, had a 18" .325 nk bar I just replaced with a Carlton and it quite abit taller then the original and abit shorter. Then there's GB x mount bars which are longer then normal by a few dl and any tsmura over 24/25 seem to have 50/50 normal oem /odd lengths too! Husky large mount 36" is 108 in .404 not 104 and 25" Stihl .404 78 not 77 but if you put a .404 nose on a 25" 3/8 bar it will be 77

Well,,,,, I think that depends, like for instance,
-- who done the porting ????
-- bla bla bla.

--then of coarse there's the ''expert'' porters who can do wonders to their toy then proudly display it on a shelf and tell everyone just how good it goes, or perhaps take a few snap's all shiny and such.

--also the '' average jo'' porter, he just has a little fiddle here and there and is happy if it showed any sign of improvement.

yawn, I once saw a chap who had a deg wheel, wasn't he the goods, not sure he knew where to put it but he sounded like he knew...

I think I'm in the average Jo category, I just grind until I have about half a teaspoon (the old English style with the pretty engravings not those modern tiny ones with the sharp edges and don't hold enough sugar) of aluminium chips. Then if I don't notice much difference I just open up the muffler until its sounds like the right kind of fastness.

You mentioned something about "degree wheels".
I gather they are something like Centrelines, Sunraysias, or the good old chromies?

Ah yes I get it now, perhaps they are simular.....
He told me they were used to do something, can't remember just now but he said it makes HIS saws very powerful.
He had a lot to say about oils too, like which ones are the best.

Yes the old 3005 mount '16" and 18"' bars which are about 1" short... I've found it varies abit with husky bars too, had a 18" .325 nk bar I just replaced with a Carlton and it quite abit taller then the original and abit shorter. Then there's GB x mount bars which are longer then normal by a few dl and any tsmura over 24/25 seem to have 50/50 normal oem /odd lengths too! Husky large mount 36" is 108 in .404 not 104 and 25" Stihl .404 78 not 77 but if you put a .404 nose on a 25" 3/8 bar it will be 77

I was actually referring to the Stihl 84DL 25" bar vs. everbody elses' 84DL 24"bar :) You've gone deep man, really deep.

On the subject of bar oil, when the new stuff hit the shelf I was looking at a one litre bottle of it, trying to figure out what the stuff was a the bottom of said bottle, when the Steal dealer says.........Don't buy that ch1t!.....Great recommendation!

Back